Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New program: AWARD THEFT !!! (moved from KL)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2005, 4:08 am
AEy
Original Poster

Programs: KLM PT, CO,
Thumbs down New program: AWARD THEFT !!!

The 'helpdesk' (!?) of FB has CONFIRMED that indeed a new policy has been adapted to make regular awards hardly available.

Remark made by the helpdesk:
If you do not like the new system you should stay member of Flying Dutchman and you will then still have 6 months to use your points AND have the regular availabily of award seats!
Also it was confirmed that 'no noise' was made about this hidden THEFT.

For intercontinental connections from AMS most routes are now via PAR which is clearly inconvenient and more expensive (TAX & surcharges).

For me it is probably to late but suggest to burn your miles and quit FD (in the case you have not changed to FB and ACCEPTED the new 'rules').

Old Jun 11, 2005, 4:45 am

Programs: klm, *alliance
was there any option to not join the new system?
Old Jun 11, 2005, 4:49 am
PJK

Programs: KL/AF FB Plat, Hilton Silver, La Quinta Gold
Originally Posted by synne
was there any option to not join the new system?
Yes, you would thenm have 6 more months to 'burn' your miles.
Old Jun 11, 2005, 5:40 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by PJK
Personally I am waiting for KLM/AF to start running their advertising about how everything is better in the UK, and then complain to our Advertising Standard Authority.
Old Jun 11, 2005, 6:37 am

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.
Originally Posted by PJK

Where was that option?

Could not check anything, could not do anything without having to accept that bleeding T&C screen when logging in.

Too late now. Had to click it to be able to use the contact form to e-mail and complain.

Emma
Old Jun 11, 2005, 7:08 am
PJK

Programs: KL/AF FB Plat, Hilton Silver, La Quinta Gold
Originally Posted by Emma65
Where was that option?
As I recall it was in the letter accompanying your new FB-card.
Old Jun 11, 2005, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Emma65
Where was that option?
The letter accompanying the new FB Card had an opt-out thing.

Also, I have not yet accepted the T/C on the FB site, but can see my statement, look for awards, claim missing miles, etc., by using the Flying Blue menu on the left.
Old Jun 11, 2005, 7:46 am

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.
Originally Posted by NilsHolgerson
The letter accompanying the new FB Card had an opt-out thing.

Also, I have not yet accepted the T/C on the FB site, but can see my statement, look for awards, claim missing miles, etc., by using the Flying Blue menu on the left.
Ok, completely missed that part in the letter.

And yes, I could do those things too, but trying to contact FB (apart from calling their minute charge number) I could not without accepting their T&C.

Emma
Old Jun 11, 2005, 7:55 am

Programs: klm, *alliance
Is this legal? You earned the points buying tickets under given rules, and then they change the rules. The new rules should be for the new points and old rules for old points.
Old Jun 11, 2005, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by AEy
For intercontinental connections from AMS most routes are now via PAR which is clearly inconvenient and more expensive (TAX & surcharges).
Came to the same conclusion when browsing for a transatlantic award. Only availability is on AF through CDG. No availability on KL or NW via AMS...
Old Jun 11, 2005, 10:33 am

Programs: BAEC Flying Blue
No Award flights anyway

I was tracking their award flights. There were some that expired on May 12th and the rest om May 31st. No news one were posted after May 31st.

Where are the ones you can book now?
Old Jun 11, 2005, 10:36 am
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Came to the same conclusion when browsing for a transatlantic award. Only availability is on AF through CDG. No availability on KL or NW via AMS...
conversely when I log in to NWA.COM I am not able to see any translant AF flights no matter what I do. On the other hand if I search for an intra-Europe itin by schedule and specify Air France then I can see AF flights. plenty of availability at standard levels too.

RTS
Old Jun 11, 2005, 5:38 pm

Unfortunately the same appears to be the case for flights to Asia. In the rare cases KLM flights show as available, I get a 'no flight available' when I select them, which does not happen when selecting an AF flight (even KE-operated codeshares) or, of course, that same KL flight with the 'Open Miles' option .

I would much rather transit through AMS, sit in WBC on a 744, and get my Delft house, than transit through CDG and be stuck in a 2-3-2 50" pitch non-refurbished AF or KE biz cabin

Of all the FB enhancements FD members have been subjected to so far, this is by far the one that irritates me the most. That FB gets in line with less generous European FFP's is one thing, but to insiduously channel all award flights to AF is .
Old Jun 11, 2005, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It seems to me that the old rules/new rules issue is a red herring. AFAIK, the award buckets have not changed. It is just that fewer seats are released in the relevant buckets. It is therefore not an issue linked to any change in the rules. There is nothing in the rules about the number of seats available in a given bucket. You would face exactly the same problem under the old rules. What there is, however, is misleading advertising. If FB advertises that you can get an award for X amount of miles and virtually no seats are released for such an award, then it constitutes misleading advertising. There is abundant precedent for this, at least in the UK.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 2:44 am
AEy
Original Poster

Programs: KLM PT, CO,
Originally Posted by NickB
It seems to me that the old rules/new rules issue is a red herring. AFAIK, the award buckets have not changed. It is just that fewer seats are released in the relevant buckets. It is therefore not an issue linked to any change in the rules. There is nothing in the rules about the number of seats available in a given bucket. You would face exactly the same problem under the old rules. What there is, however, is misleading advertising. If FB advertises that you can get an award for X amount of miles and virtually no seats are released for such an award, then it constitutes misleading advertising. There is abundant precedent for this, at least in the UK.

NickB,

I can pretty well follow your comments.
Wish however to point out that during the past 10+ years with the old system I (RW or PE) could book seats on nearly every flight. Close to ZERO availability on KL flights in the new program IS (for me) a change of rules.

A.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.