Search

F+ Elite Plus priority boarding on AZ?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2005, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: F+ Rouge
F+ Elite Plus priority boarding on AZ?

Hi everyone,
I was flying in economy recently on a JFK->MXP trip with Alitalia and was denied priority boarding despite showing my F+ Rouge card. I politely pointed out the SkyTeam Elite Plus status, but was told that they will not honor the priority boarding benefit unless it's a business class ticket, no matter what status I have.

Is there something special about AZ not honoring SkyTeam E+ benefits, or were they simply mistaken? Nothing is mentioned about AZ on SkyTeam webpages. Is there anyone in F+ to whom I can complain about their partners not fulfilling their part of the bargain?

PS: I didn't feel like quarreling about it, because priority boarding is a minor perk, and the least of AZ's problems on that flight (being 1.5hrs late on takeoff because the crew hasn't showed up yet, 1hr late on a connecting flight in MXP, screwing up seat assignments, and then loosing all of my baggage was a tad more serious ). Is this business as usual for Alitalia? This was the first time I flew with them, wasn't very enjoyable...
Old May 24, 2005, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry but in Europe we generally do not understand the concept of priority boarding. You want to be in the lounge for as long as possible, there is no point to squeeze yourself into the sardine can. That's why employees don't normally accommodate such requests.

AZ certainly aren't a perfect airline, but I think you were quite unlucky. All my flights with them have been on time, and the attitude and professionalism of nearly every one of its employees I've been in contact with have been absolutely charming!
Do write AZ a nice letter complaining about your experience, it's quite likely they'll send you a voucher for the incomvenience.
Old May 24, 2005, 10:54 am

Programs: AA 0.4MM, BA G, LH SEN,TK S, HH Dia, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold, Marriott Silver
Why would you squeeze yourself in Y prior to due time?!?!even though the flight is operated on a 777,so the seats in Y are not that bad, there's no point to hop on early especially if you have an aisle seat(which I hope you had as a F+Rouge)where you have to stand up for late comers!
Connecting in MXP is not as smooth as in AMS or MUC,especially for luggage and for the long lines if you have to clear security again for your connecting flight.I suggest you take the DL flight to VCE if Milan is not your final destination.VCE's a smaller airport and it's brand new.Less connections though.
I'm sure you'll get a voucher,let us know
Old May 24, 2005, 2:01 pm

Programs: Air France Platinum - Qatar Airways Gold
Originally Posted by mjuric
Hi everyone,
I was flying in economy recently on a JFK->MXP trip with Alitalia and was denied priority boarding despite showing my F+ Rouge card. I politely pointed out the SkyTeam Elite Plus status (...)
Is there something special about AZ not honoring SkyTeam E+ benefits, or were they simply mistaken? Nothing is mentioned about AZ on SkyTeam webpages.
This confirms my theory about the confusion between airlines' customer policies, frequent flyer programmes, alliances, and now, with the introduction of FlyingBlue, FF programmes common to several airlines.

SkyTeam is an alliance. There is no such thing (for the time being...) as a 'SkyTeam Frequent Flyer Program'. ST's website will direct you to the sites of the partner airlines.

I have searched but (contrary to the lounge access policy which is an actual ST common benefit), priority boarding is a F+ (or AZ MM) perk for their own members flying on AF (respectively AZ).

So the boarding staff kindly honored your right to stay longer in the (less and less crowded) boarding lounge.

OT: I noticed today at AF's check-in desk in Milan a picture (for check-in agents' usage) displaying at least 15 different types of FF cards... that's about 9 programs x 2 'club' status ! ! !
Old May 25, 2005, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: F+ Rouge
Originally Posted by MACH81
Why would you squeeze yourself in Y prior to due time?!?!even though the flight is operated on a 777,so the seats in Y are not that bad, there's no point to hop on early especially if you have an aisle seat(which I hope you had as a F+Rouge)where you have to stand up for late comers!
The reason is that I'm 6ft9", and usually get an exit row seat when flying economy. And exit row seats usually do not have adequate luggage storage space, especially on crowded flights (as was this one). So it becomes a first-come-first-served thing. In this particular case, my carry-on wound up on the other side of the plane where there was still space left, while my briefcase was whisked away by the flight-attendand in an unknown direction (because of safety reasons, understandably, you are not allowed to store anything in front of an exit during takeoff - I got the briefcase back once we were in the air).

As for the SkyTeam alliance, they do have a webpage listing common status benefits here. There are some exceptions listed for priority boarding, but none mentioned for Alitalia. And as (almost?) all SkyTeam member airlines' FF cards also have the SkyTeam logos with elite status on them (Member,E,E+), I see no reason for confusion there.

PS: On the bright side, once we were in the air, the inflight staff and service was really good.
Old May 25, 2005, 11:32 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life
AZ also refuse to give priority baggage handling to FP Elite Plus when travelling in economy. They also forbid advance seat selection (at least they do in France). It seems they are unhappy in ST.
Old May 25, 2005, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
On my MXP to London-Heathrow flight, it appears to be one mass cattle call for the shuttle buses and no "priority boarding" even for business class travellers. I've learned to sit back, relax and try to be amongst the last to board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.