Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance after merger?

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2005, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ Solitaire PPS AA nothing short of 1m miler US CP, HH Diamond,
Star Alliance after merger?

With Air Canada financing and keeping the US Airways name I just assume that the new combined airline will remain in the star alliance.
Unfortunately the long and detailed press statement does not say anything about it?
Any thoughts?
Star alliance is important for me as I travel worldwide.
Old May 19, 2005, 5:50 pm

From America West FAQ's on US Airways.
Q. How will this transaction affect current code-shares for AWA and US Airways?
A. US Airways is currently a Star Alliance member, including reciprocal frequent flyer programs with 15 airlines around the world. Their continued participation in the Star Alliance is dependent upon its domestic code-share relationship with United Airlines. The proposed merger would need to be approved by United as a modification to the terms of the United/US Airways code-share agreement for the purpose of being a member of the Star Alliance. At this time no discussions regarding the code-share agreement with United Airlines have taken place.

Q: Will the merged airlines participate in the Star Alliance and the codeshare agreement with United Airlines ?
A: The merger envisions continued participation in the Star Alliance and code sharing with United Airlines. Now that the merger agreement is complete and announced, we can begin discussions with Star Alliance carriers and United to address the issues .
Old May 19, 2005, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
US will not want to leave STAR, lest they lose access to four continents (South America, Asia, Africa, and Australia).

UA will not want them to leave STAR, as the ex-HP routes will allow UA to again offer domestic F to connecting international premium passengers to cities now served by TED (LAS, PHX, etc.). Also, UA makes some $300 million from US codeshares annually.
Old May 19, 2005, 10:48 pm

Programs: UAL 1KMM,Hilton Diamond
IMHO, US remaining in *A will provide additional feed to the UA pacific routes.

There is a lot of US flyers from the east that go to UA cities in the midwest and northwest that connect through Chicago/Denver that won't like that connection through LAS/PHX.

Also, LH prefers the Philadelphia connection with US much better that the Dulles connection of UA.

By guess is that UA wants to keep the code-share because when Congress finally fully endorses consolidation, UA will end up linking with the new US. This will take UA back to its glory days. Remember when UA serves airports in all 50 states?

A question will be which international routes will the new airline codeshare with Air Canada. US serves many of the same cities in Europe as AC. My guess is that we will see new European cities served that will fly from either Philadelphia or Montreal.

This venture will either be a disaster or will be the first positive movement in realigining the industry.
Old May 19, 2005, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA: 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Platinum IHG. Diamond: Hilton. Silver: Delta & Hyatt
Thumbs up UA will keep them

UA will keep them not only for domestic but it also gives UA a stronger presence in Europe. ^ More direct flights from the US via PHL and with LH in FRA. Keeping them is a good thing.
-UFFA
Old May 19, 2005, 10:53 pm

Programs: Formerly: UA 1K, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, FT Addicts Anonymous; Currently: Grounded
SOT

I think this kind of consolidation has to occur in this industry in order to give all players a chance at surviving. The CEO of NW was on Your World with Cavuto (watched from the US club in PIT) today and he, near the end of his interview, said that consolidation would be an option in the future and that the HP/US thing was a step in the right direction (paraphrased).

This is a step forward I think.
Old May 20, 2005, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
UA will keep US/HP in the *A. The other *A carriers would be happy to have a Plan B carrier for the US market. I agree with the other reasons that other posters have stated here and in other threads.

I hope that they get a new livery going forward despite keeping the US Airways name.
Old May 20, 2005, 2:46 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Interesting to contrast this thread with the one on the UA board:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434610
Old May 20, 2005, 6:02 am

I just wonder what the DOT will have to say about the codeshare, particularly in the west. How many cities are served by only HP and UA right now in Arizona and California?
Old May 20, 2005, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by dcmike
Interesting to contrast this thread with the one on the UA board: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434610
Well that is just one person's desire. Most of the replies are supportive of US staying in STAR and expect UA to not object.
Old May 20, 2005, 10:06 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
I think if the new US, UA and AC can play well in the sandbox together they have a real opportunity to be a dominate force for US/Canadian pax and primarily because of *A. I would envision UA cutting routes (codeshareing some that they currently compete with HP on) which will allow each airline to focus on their strenghts and giving *A members the ability to fly almost anywhere and earn EQM etc. There was some discussion some time ago about *A upgrade options.....if they where able to pull that off then I think the other alliances would have to play some serious catch up.

It is probably obvious that my personal view is that the new US only makes UA and *A stronger and no doubt there will be a US in *A.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.