Wiki Posts
Search

I pay U to find MR? -- I'm lazy

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2005, 2:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN, AAdvantage, Frontier EarlyReturns, UA
I pay U to find MR? -- I'm lazy

Is there anyone out there in FT-land that will find me a good MR if I pay them? Is there such a service anywhere? Or maybe a live over the phone tutor?

I just read up on all the relevant threads how to do it, and I ended up with a flight that was supposed to be ~$350 being $520, so I'm sure I was doing something wrong. I went to the dreammapper, found DEN-SJU that looked fun, then looked at the routing rules, then did the ITA language thing, then got a flight for $520 that was supposed to be $350 based on the routing rules, though I may have broken some other rule in the process!

I know, you say post more details, but it was just a trial run, and I'm not too terribly concerned with where my trip takes me, though I do have a few destinations in mind. I can fill the right person in with all of the relevant details.

I just lost my AA GLD status and I'm looking to do PLT challenge sometime in June or so. I've got money, though I don't want to pay 10c a point/mile either! btw, I can fly out of DEN or COS.

Can someone help a lazy guy out who has some money to blow? ;-)
Maybe a travel agent with MR expertise?

btw, I think my email addy is in my profile.

Chuck
Old May 19, 2005, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
damn I'll do it.. i'm a geek and price crap out like crazy (if you had my job, you'd dream of being anywhere else )

tell me and others, how much can you spend, 10k q-points, right?
Old May 19, 2005, 4:53 am

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by civicmon
tell me and others, how much can you spend, ?
Are you asking what is the most he'll pay you for coming up for a run for him? I'd think $100 is fair, as that would save him at least $70 over his own efforts.
Old May 19, 2005, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Originally Posted by Bikeguy
Are you asking what is the most he'll pay you for coming up for a run for him? I'd think $100 is fair, as that would save him at least $70 over his own efforts.

keithguy and Channa may be able to retire off this fella..they're wizards at this game.
Old May 19, 2005, 7:43 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

So, how much is the OP offering? That's the important part.
Old May 19, 2005, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by civicmon
keithguy and Channa may be able to retire off this fella..they're wizards at this game.
I'm game.

What's the offer? I'll let you know if I can do that.
Old May 19, 2005, 7:50 am

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
Hey, if it's over the phone, I'll give it a try, too.

Give my wrist a break.
Old May 19, 2005, 8:07 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Wow, I actually do this for my friends fairly often (not usually for money though I joke about it).

But now that the two wizards have chimed in, I can only offer to be cheaper, because I certainly am less knowledgeable!
Old May 19, 2005, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Viajero Joven
Hey, if it's over the phone, I'll give it a try, too.

Give my wrist a break.
Old May 19, 2005, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Ive been trying to figure out how to do this too. I do this for a lot of friends (not necessarily always MRs) and was trying to find a way to do it as a second job, since I enjoy it. Plus with added services like signing up people for FF accounts (non-FTers) who arent in the know and other things, it is a real value for people and they dont even know it. Is there a way to do this? or any ideas where we can do this together and create some type of joint venture together?
Old May 19, 2005, 9:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
The whole topic discussed also here. Not that I think this thread is actually MR material. I remember once when there was a place where there were actual MR routes + fares listed, rather than conversation threads...
Old May 19, 2005, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN, AAdvantage, Frontier EarlyReturns, UA
OP comments

I didn't set out a fee for the service up front, because I'm just not sure quite how you would go about it. The other thread is a "macro" discussion about having a website/service to do MR consulting/searching. I'm just trying to do the PLT challenge on AA -- that's all I'm asking.

I kind of feel like the best way to do it would be to hold a contest. I'd give you as much information as possible, and an email addy where you can contact me for follow up questions. Then you would do your darnedest to find the route that I will like the best and pick. Not only would you have a chance at making some dough, just think how fun it would be to compete against your fellow FT'ers!! I think it would be the most popular thread for days on end! MR Contest!! The first person to post the route/fare would be the one who gets the prize if I pick that route/fare.

How do you know you will get paid the prize though? Well, I've thought about that, too, and I think the best idea would be for me to send the money to someone who is well trusted in the forums (and who has a zillion posts), and then we both trust THAT person to give the money to the winner. Or there may be another way to do this that I'm not familiar with. (In theory, the money holder would also still be eligible to win)

The competition has NOT started yet, and won't until I say so,but how about a prize of $100? I think if I hired just one individual, it should be less than that, but if I have a contest, I think $100 would be both entertaining and worth shooting for -- at least for a few of you, if not more. Some of you appear to be REALLY bored at your jobs! ha ha

Thoughts? Are there "holes" in my plan?

P.S. I realize that this might not be a perfect place for the thread, but it seemed like the best one I could figure out being a newbie and all. There's a pretty steep learning curve to this place, and it's HUGE! Makes you wonder if boards like this should have a "triage" moderator for newbie posts to make sure your stuff goes in the right place.
Old May 19, 2005, 11:18 am

Programs: KLM, Delta
Talking Runner up MR?

Hey i kinda like this!
I'm also in need of an MR but I really can't figure it out.

So how 'bout a runner up prize for someone who can do me an MR on KLM/NW/DL/CO?
From NY also don't care much where i go, but don't want to spend too much.

This is much less exciting than qqchuck's but i'm willing to offer $$ to someone who comes up with something

Drop me an email and i'll give ya the details

Great idea qqchuck!!
Old May 19, 2005, 11:22 am

I don't know how long it will be before this thread is locked, moved, or otherwise moderated, but I do hope the OP will actually take the time to learn some of the tricks, too. I know this all can be a bit confusing, but people on FT like to educate others. I think that it might set a bad precedence, especialy for the Mileage Run forum, if we start buying other FTers time and expertise rather than passing it along like an old family proverb...or something. In any case, good luck to the OP and welcome. Hopefully you learn a bit on your quest, too.
Old May 19, 2005, 11:27 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Yes, I have a feeling there's a FT rule for these kinds of "business transactions"..

Although it is interesting to note that the OP has moved from
a) paying a fee upfront for services rendered
to
b) offering the possibility of a prize without actually guaranteeing anything for ideas
*will the non-winning entries be returned unused? hmm..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.