Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

*A RTW Mileage Calculator Bugs

Old May 9, 2005, 12:58 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some

*A RTW Mileage Calculator is available for download from www.staralliance.com

A number of FTers have posted bugs in the calculator. I think it may be useful to note them in one place so we can easily see if the tool returns an error if it is a bug or trying to break a RTW rule.

By having in one place it also may be easier for *A to support the useful tool as we can reference this thread in notifying them of bugs.
Old May 9, 2005, 1:01 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

The tool doesnt handle the international date line correctly.

Eg put a flight from NZ to US, connecting to another flight that leaves at an earlier time on the date of departure isnt allowed. This bug also affects the stopover counter (if onward flight is between 24 & 48 hours after arrival).
Old May 9, 2005, 1:58 pm

Programs: QF Silver, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat, Priority Pass
It still appears to be treating Scandinavia as a single country, even though the recent rule changes have apparently changed this.
Old May 9, 2005, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
Mileage calculations seem to be a bit buggy too. It keeps giving me mileage about 12k more than what it actually is.

Also does not treat JFK/EWR/LGA/NYC as a single city.
Old May 9, 2005, 2:55 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

12000 miles error in total mileage? First I've seen any mention of error that big. What routing(s) gives such a big error?

I've had issue with incorrect mileage on direct flights that are not non-stop but only a few hundred mile error.
Old May 9, 2005, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TG Gold, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
The new TG - JFK-BKK is not correctly identified as Transpac, rather it's still reported as Transatlantic.
Old May 10, 2005, 3:47 am

Many flights to/from Manchester, NH (USA) are actually calculated as if they were to/from Manchester, England (UK). Exceptions include MHT-ORD and MHT-CLT routings, which are calculated correctly.
Old May 10, 2005, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by wideman
Many flights to/from Manchester, NH (USA) are actually calculated as if they were to/from Manchester, England (UK).
Now what would be really great would be if you could get them to price MHT-LHR as if it were MAN-LHR
Old May 10, 2005, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by Markmat
It still appears to be treating Scandinavia as a single country, even though the recent rule changes have apparently changed this.
I've had a reply back from Star Alliance confirming that the rule change is correct and the issue with the calculator has been forwarded to the developers.
Old May 11, 2005, 3:07 am

Programs: EBD (*A gold), IHG Plat. Amb., HH Gold, Freccia Alata Plus, Air Berlin Gold...
Regarding mileage error, It seems that land miles is also calculated, thereby the ”error” could be quite large if you for an example go to from somewhere to NewYork and next flight is from opposite side of USA.
Old May 11, 2005, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by FF#1
Regarding mileage error, It seems that land miles is also calculated, thereby the ”error” could be quite large if you for an example go to from somewhere to NewYork and next flight is from opposite side of USA.
Apologies if I've misunderstood your post, but I don't think this is actually an error.

For example, if your route includes LHR-JFK and then SFO-AKL then the mileage from JFK-SFO is included in your total. This is in the rules:

"Surface Sectors: Intermediate surface sectors permitted at passenger’s expense. Mileage for surface sectors must be included in the maximum permitted mileage calculation"
Old May 11, 2005, 5:00 am

Programs: EBD (*A gold), IHG Plat. Amb., HH Gold, Freccia Alata Plus, Air Berlin Gold...
Exactly, it is not a bug but many people misunderstand the way mileage is calculated. I would have been good if the land sectors were listed, now are the just added to the mileage

Last edited by FF#1; May 11, 2005 at 5:03 am
Old May 11, 2005, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
12000 miles error in total mileage? First I've seen any mention of error that big. What routing(s) gives such a big error?

I've had issue with incorrect mileage on direct flights that are not non-stop but only a few hundred mile error.
I have since deleted that itinerary with the incorect mileage, but it went something like:

BKK-SIN-ICN-SIN-HKG-SFO-LAX-JFK
LGA-BOS-DCA-LGA
JFK-FRA-LHR-SIN-BKK

If I added up all the individual mileages listed per sector, it came out to be something like 34,800 miles, but the total mileage box showed 47,000 miles and told me it was illegal. Only thing I could think of is that it somehow treated JFK and LGA as being thousands of miles apart.
Old May 11, 2005, 12:15 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Did you have more than one option selected for a sector? I have seen that do strange things sometimes.
Old May 11, 2005, 3:14 pm

Programs: QR Plat
Another bug:

After getting the tool to warn about excessive stopovers at an airport on a long itn it will refuse to scroll down the segment list, and always reset to select the first sector in the itn continuosly. Entering an itn with too many stopovers, select validate and then double-click the given error in the lower pane and voila, it will go to sector one and there is no talking it out of having sector one selected.

Also, I have not been able to find a legend of the meal codes used for the various airlines when a meal is mentioned on the sector.

Manually keying in the date in the search function will always result in an invalid date error, it has to be selected from the calendar.

Edit: correction to the first issue

Last edited by ph-ndr; May 11, 2005 at 3:16 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.