Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Stock, UA Metal... Implications?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2005, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

US Stock, UA Metal... Implications?

The UA operated flights in which I am interested are about 2/3 the cost when issued as a US ticket as opposed to a UA ticket. My questions are, what are the implications?

Will I get lifetime UA miles?
Will I get CoS bonus?
Will I be able to upgrade using UA instruments?

THANKS!!!
Old Apr 6, 2005, 8:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I'm 99% sure the answers are yes, yes, no.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 8:36 pm

Programs: CO Gold
Yes, Yes, Yes. But you will only be able to upgrade on the day of departure.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 9:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by JY4D
Yes, Yes, Yes. But you will only be able to upgrade on the day of departure.
I thought you had to purchase those special 500-milers only usable on US metal, but I'd be happy to learn I'm wrong.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 11:50 pm

Programs: CO Gold
You can use UA Upgrades from your Mileage Plus account on UA operated flights. If you are a US Dividend Miles member, you have to purchase those special 500 mile upgrades on UA operated flights.
Old Apr 7, 2005, 7:41 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
What about US metal with an UA code? I know I will get elite bonus, but will it count towards the lifetime UA miles and the 500 miler threshold? Thanks in advance.

LAX
Old Apr 7, 2005, 8:09 am

Programs: UA: 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Platinum IHG. Diamond: Hilton. Silver: Delta & Hyatt
No lifetime Miles

LAX,
Have flown US Air numerous times in the past year using my MP number and I can confirm that you will get COS Bonus, EQM for Class of Service. However NO United Lifetime Flight Miles for flights flown on US Airways Codes flights even if it is a Code Share. They are only awarded for flying on UA Operated Planes. My mileage balance is quite hi but my Lifetime Mileage is quite low as my parents live in Philadelphia and my times I opt to save the $$$ and take the cheaper US Airways flight. I do seem to get the 500 mile rewards and you can use upgrades as well. I hope this helps.
-UFFA

Originally Posted by LAX
What about US metal with an UA code? I know I will get elite bonus, but will it count towards the lifetime UA miles and the 500 miler threshold? Thanks in advance.

LAX
Old Apr 7, 2005, 8:33 am

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by UA840
The UA operated flights in which I am interested are about 2/3 the cost when issued as a US ticket as opposed to a UA ticket. My questions are, what are the implications?

Will I get lifetime UA miles?
Will I get CoS bonus?
Will I be able to upgrade using UA instruments?

THANKS!!!

Yes, yes, and yes. From experience.

The key is that, in your scenario, the flights are UA metal with a US ticket. If you flip that around, the calculus changes.

We had a discussion about this a while back, and I posted a chart of sorts, but I can't find it, even using the Google search work-around. Maybe someone else can.

Anyway, a couple small but (I think) important points:

UA lifetime miles count, regardless of the flight # the ticket is purchased under, **as long as the flight is operated by United and your UA MP # is credited.** If you are using a US account, then all bets are off.

Upgrading is ONLY possible using UA upgrade instruments, but you will only clear standby at check-in, with no opportunity to waitlist. Many check-in agents are unaware of the possibility of upgrading a UA-operated US ticket, so print out the e-upgrade terms and conditions and highlight text like this:

Upgrade requests for flights marketed by other airlines but operated by United are only permitted at the airport on the day of travel, subject to availability.
For example, last year my wife and I bought ORD-CDG tickets on usairways.com, operated nonstop by UA, but with a US ticket number. Each ticket was several hundred dollars less than the same flights purchased from UA. When we checked in, the agent first said we couldn't upgrade a codeshare. I pulled out the T&C's, smiled, and said we could. Then she said we couldn't upgrade from W class. I pulled out the T&C's again, smiled, said she was referring to upgrades with MILES (we were using a gifted SWU), and said we could. Then she said we couldn't upgrade, because we weren't on the waitlist. I stopped smiling, but said that it was impossible to waitlist, since it was a codeshare. A manager finally came over, and within a few seconds our business class boarding passes were printing. The original gate agent came back just long enough to chide us with, "In the future, you should buy your tickets from United with United flight numbers." I bit my tongue. [In my mind, though...: "In the future, you should learn the rules... in the future, you should believe your customers if they have the rules printed from the website... in the future, I hope I get a better check-in agent..."] Force a smile, say thank you, and off to the RCC...

I only mention this because the US ticket/UA metal rules are as confusing for UA staff as they are for us. Bring printouts, and be prepared to fight for your miles and your upgrades. Hit 'em with the legal mumbo-jumbo!
Old Apr 7, 2005, 12:08 pm

Found the earlier thread. See especially post #14 for the chart.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=393324
Old Apr 8, 2005, 6:59 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by cakobau
Found the earlier thread. See especially post #14 for the chart.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=393324
According to your chart, US metal flights are treated as a straight US coded, US operated flights regardless of the airline codes associated with them even on code-shares for MP purposes. While UA metal flights are treated as a straight UA coded, UA operated flights regardless of airline codes associated with them even on code-shares. That's fair enough as long as I am clear on it. I obviously prefer to fly UA over US on any routes they compete because of E+, but sometimes US's prices (even on UA metals) are considerably less than UA and that makes me think twice before booking a straight UA code, UA metal flight despite of all the bonuses.

LAX
Old Apr 8, 2005, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by LAX
According to your chart, US metal flights are treated as a straight US coded, US operated flights regardless of the airline codes associated with them even on code-shares for MP purposes.
That is correct.

Originally Posted by LAX
While UA metal flights are treated as a straight UA coded, UA operated flights regardless of airline codes associated with them even on code-shares.
Almost, with minor caveats. UA metal is the key for most matters -- earning redeemable miles, EQMs, million-miler status, 500-miler upgrades, elite bonuses. HOWEVER, if you purchased a US codeshare for a UA metal flight, you can NOT upgrade in advance or waitlist. You can only upgrade standby at checkin. You also forfeit the possibility of a united.com booking bonus.

Assuming you are using your UA Mileage Plus number:

UA flight number, UA plane: accrue FFM, EQM, MM, 500 milers, elite bonuses, get bonus on united.com, advance upgrade possible.

US flight number, UA plane: accrue FFM, EQM, MM, 500 milers, elite bonuses. Get NO united.com bonus, MP upgrades only available standby.

UA flight number, US plane: accrue FFM, EQM. Get NO MM, 500 milers, united.com bonus, or any MP upgrades.

US flight number, US plane: accrue FFM, EQM. Get NO MM, 500 milers, united.com bonus, or any MP upgrades.
Old May 14, 2005, 11:42 pm

Question

HOWEVER, if you purchased a US codeshare for a UA metal flight, you can NOT upgrade in advance or waitlist. You can only upgrade standby at checkin. You also forfeit the possibility of a united.com booking bonus.
The customary value of FF miles is what, 1-2 cents/mile? That makes the 1k booking bonus worth $10-20; the difference in fares for a US ticket/UA metal is usually far more than that. If it mattered, couldn't you buy miles for cash to make up the difference and still come out ahead?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.