Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PPS Club - jumping the 'credits' queue

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2005, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
This is all very well and good, but ignores that PPS membership gives you almost nothing.

If you are ultimately going to qualify for PPS anyway, that means you are flying in F or C.

I fly SQ only in F so PPS has gotten me nothing. SQ already gives its F passengers everything there is.

If you fly in C, the only think PPS will give you is access to the F lounge instead of the C lounge. I've never been in the C lounge, but I doubt that it is much different than the F lounge.

So I wouldn't worry too much about getting comped to PPS. It's no big deal.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 6:38 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
As a 5 year PPS "veteran" - you'd have to pry my membership card out of my cold, dead hands. No big deal? It's not just about the lounge. For me, it's clearing those pesky wait lists on high-demand routes. Like magic. And for freq fliers, it's a godsend.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 7:02 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Agreed. The number of times waitlists have magically cleared on full flights is amazing.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 8:56 pm
Suspended

So what if you are someone who books business and first class travel very far in advance and has never had a problem with clearing the waitlist....ever? Would PPS status still be worth it?
Old Feb 24, 2005, 10:21 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
If you don't want it, you can cut up the card and send it back to SQ.

The status is worth it for those who find it worthwhile. And not for those who don't. It's not rocket science.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
This is all very well and good, but ignores that PPS membership gives you almost nothing.
Quite true, but SQ was never interested in the mileage game in the first place.

I guess they feel they don't need to reward their PPS's, since they are already rewarded by oggling at the FAs
Old Feb 25, 2005, 8:26 am
CGK

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by UA 882
So what if you are someone who books business and first class travel very far in advance and has never had a problem with clearing the waitlist....ever? Would PPS status still be worth it?
YES, INDEED. Eventhough yo book yor C and F in advance without any problem of waitlist, the advantage of being PPS that I can think of at the moment, e.g.:
- double dipping: sectors go to my PPS qualification, and miles earned goes to UA M+ or LH M&M in my case;
- for a certain circumstances like flight cancellation at last minute, as PPS, SQ would do their best for us;
- double allowance for check-in luggages which is important for me who likes to haul so many suitcases;
- the relation with SQ local staff as PPS is quite valuable;
- for seating in general, as PPS, SQ will try to accomodate my seat preferences, which I almost always got them
Old Feb 25, 2005, 8:48 am

Programs: SQ PPS, DL Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by CGK
YES, INDEED. Eventhough yo book yor C and F in advance without any problem of waitlist, the advantage of being PPS that I can think of at the moment, e.g.:...[snip]
I'd agree. In addition to those CGK and others have mentioned, as someone who doesn't always have the luck of flying in F or C, for me there are other perks:

- access to KF lounges when traveling on any class, on any airline (personally, very important!);

- the renewal gift vouchers (which you get to use on SQ's duty-free catalogue) ;

- guaranteed place in Y if waitlisted in C or F;

- the other less "popular" benefits such as the lifestyle privileges portfolio and the travel assistance and insurance;

etc., etc.

I don't want to sound like an ad for SQ or PPS, but I do find the benefits worthwhile. ^ Of course, you always wish for more, but you won't find me willingly giving up my PPS card either!

Oh, forgot to add one very recent anecdote: called SQ to redeem miles for an upgrade from Y to C on a SIN-CAN flight. Was told there were something like 14 people ahead of me on the waiting list, so it wasn't likely. Still, I asked to be placed on the list. Got a call from SQ 2 days later saying I'd got it.

Last edited by MovieMan; Feb 25, 2005 at 8:54 am
Old Feb 25, 2005, 11:22 am

Programs: British Airways Gold; SQ PPS Solitaire; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by ws8n
Either that, or he's a VIP (e.g CFO, CEO or MNC)

What a deliciously charming thought - I shall email this to my staff to remind them that some people understand me.....

PS - I fly to HKG about twice a month.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 2:22 pm

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
indeed charming for our new and very welcome FT member who has a lovely first name.
Old Feb 26, 2005, 3:47 am

Programs: SQ TPP28, CX DM, DL P, GA CB, WOH LGLOB, HH D, MB G, Hertz P
Originally Posted by CGK
YES, INDEED....
I wrote this on another thread before...
Don't lose sleep over whether to get PPS or other airlines' elite status. You should concentrate on earning miles on your favorite FFP, be it LH M&M, UA MP, TG ROP, etc. Just don't forget to also credit your PPS sectors/miles to SQ PPS. When you qualify, you are happy. When you don't, you are still going to be a happy LH Sen, or UA 1K, etc.

SQ recognizes your F & C business with them, no matter which FFP you want to credit your miles to and elite status at. No other airlines offer this.

And yes, if you fly SQ often enough, you should know being a PPS matters, whichever class you usually fly.

Last edited by StarG; Feb 26, 2005 at 3:52 am
Old Feb 3, 2006, 4:43 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by ws8n
Quite true, but SQ was never interested in the mileage game in the first place.

I guess they feel they don't need to reward their PPS's, since they are already rewarded by oggling at the FAs
How much of a reward is that? Do those of you who are not married or otherwise don't mind straying find that th gorgeous SIngapore Girl's are attainable?
Old Feb 3, 2006, 4:58 am

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by DullesJason
Do those of you who are not married or otherwise don't mind straying find that th gorgeous SIngapore Girl's are attainable?
Over the years, I've dated 3 stewardesses. I have learned two things from the experiences:
1) the true meaning of high maintenance, and
2) some fantasies are good to realize, but others are best left as fantasies.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Ah-ha !

So that's why with all the SQ flights with you lot.. !

I personally gave up on PPS as CX's Marco Polo Club treats me better than SQ. Having had both PPS and MPC Gold/Diamond status, I found that on CX, I can get guaranteed seat in ANY economy booking class within 72hours for Gold, and 24hours for Diamond status. Adding that Diamond members can also get guaranteed Business Class seats (booked in J or C) within 24 hours of travel. I certainly can't compare any of the privileges I get on CX with SQ.

Oh and, when flights are VERY full, chances of being op-up'd are soo much easier on CX than ever on SQ.

Anyway, I'd probably be flammed, tarred and feathered for commenting this on here.... so I'll go back to my forum now...

Old Feb 3, 2006, 7:28 pm
CGK

Programs: UA MM
No, you won't get flamed and feathered here... It's the famous SQ hospitality...
Old Feb 3, 2006, 7:43 pm

Programs: SQ TPP28, CX DM, DL P, GA CB, WOH LGLOB, HH D, MB G, Hertz P
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I personally gave up on PPS as CX's Marco Polo Club treats me better than SQ. Having had both PPS and MPC Gold/Diamond status, I found that on CX, I can get guaranteed seat in ANY economy booking class within 72hours for Gold, and 24hours for Diamond status. Adding that Diamond members can also get guaranteed Business Class seats (booked in J or C) within 24 hours of travel. I certainly can't compare any of the privileges I get on CX with SQ.

Oh and, when flights are VERY full, chances of being op-up'd are soo much easier on CX than ever on SQ.

Anyway, I'd probably be flammed, tarred and feathered for commenting this on here.... so I'll go back to my forum now...

Hmm... where is that metal stick I use for grilling ...

Yes, I think in some ways CX Marco Polo Club treats its elites better than SQ PPS Club. The seat guarantee feature (YCL for Gold and YCL&JCL for Diamond) is among the most useful ones IMO. PPS allows guarantee Y for only when you are holding a premium class ticket. And if you do get the seat, you will be charged full Y fare.

But some of PPS/Solitaire's benefits are better than MPC's:
- First Class lounge access for Solitaires even when travelling on other airlines
- Very generous (100%) excess baggage allowance
- The nice F reception staffs in SIN.

And one have to fly lots more to earn/maintain Diamond status than you do to earn/maintain PPS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.