Best Pool In Los Angeles?

Old Jan 19, 2005, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Smile Best Pool In Los Angeles?

Looking to catch some rays and I'm trying to decide which hotel.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 2:35 pm

Programs: CO Plat - AW Plat - AA Gold - SPG Plat - HH Gold - HY Gold - WBR - Alpha Phi Omega - GO CANES!
The St. Regis had a GREAT pool and a great hot tub, and was a GREAT hotel... I think you may still be able to stay there for a couple more days before it closes and goes condo. From my room in the St. Regis I could see the pool at the Westin next door in Century City. It looked really nice as well.

I don't think the westin bonaventure or the westin lax have pools. I could be wrong. And I know that the sheraton gateway lax has one, I was swimming in it yesterday. The hot tub at the sheraton lax is also not bad but we couldn't get the blowers working. I remember that the sheraton universal has a pool, but I never saw it by day. I can tell you that the management at the sheraton universal is probably the worst in all of starwood, and the chances of you getting an upgrade are almost zero.

That's all the info I can throw in.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm a fan of the W Westwood's pool generally (for comfort and people watching), though I'm not so sure it's the best for literally "catching rays." Don't know how many hours the sun is in position for rays to get by the towers. I'm not normally paying much attention to the sun when I'm there...if 'ya know what I mean.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by suitcasejockey

I don't think the westin bonaventure or the westin lax have pools. I could be wrong.
The Westin LAX does have an outdoor pool. As hotel pools go, it's fairly nice. It's long enough for decent laps. There are nice deck chairs. And there's generally a good supply of clean towels.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 6:58 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Many consider the pool at the Mondrian to be the best in Los Angeles. Unfortunately, they are not a member of Starwood. The pool is actually prettier than the website:
http://www.morganshotelgroup.com/mon...otel_pool.html
Old Jan 19, 2005, 7:29 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
The Westin LAX has NO jacuzzi. The Sheraton LAX has new pool furniture and great cocktail service.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
I also like the pool at the W.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 8:04 pm

Programs: BonvoyAmbassadorElite, HyattPlatinum, Cathay Pacific Diamond, AeroplanSuperElite
The pool at the W Hotel in Westwood is great. Green parklike souroundings...Lots of sun exposure..There are cabanas you can book that are around the pool for a spot to host friends and a bit of privacy. It is great for people watching although the service at this W was the worst I have every experienced. Be very patient if you have to deal with the hotel employees. There was also a small pool in a courtyard in the middle of the hotel....a little dark and drearry.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 3:50 am

I stayed at both the westin Bonaventure and Westin LAX and they both have pools
Old Jan 23, 2005, 7:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by suitcasejockey
The St. Regis had a GREAT pool and a great hot tub, and was a GREAT hotel...
this property had a great hotel and hot tub but calling it a great hotel is certainly a stretch. i would call it a good hotel with (usually but not always) great service. but, this hotel can't hold the j*ck of truly great hotels (st. regis NYC, for example).

and, i think the towers highly limited potential sun exposure from what i recall.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 9:59 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Starwood SPG Platinum, Fairmont Premier
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Many consider the pool at the Mondrian to be the best in Los Angeles. Unfortunately, they are not a member of Starwood. The pool is actually prettier than the website:
http://www.morganshotelgroup.com/mon...otel_pool.html
I would have to agree here, and it also boasts some of the best scenery in LA both the hilltop views as well as the clientelle.

If you stay past tanning hours the pool area turns into a rather sociable nightlife area as well. If you are sociable or just enjoy people watching...then this is the place to be.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 11:00 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
If you are talking greater LA, then the St. Regis Monarch Beach is the best. Otherwise, I'd say the W (although not good for swimming laps).
Old Jan 23, 2005, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
If you are talking greater LA, then the St. Regis Monarch Beach is the best.
The Monarch Beach pool is nice. In fact, there is a children's/"family" pool and a larger adult pool just to the north. It would be nice if the attendants at Monarch Beach would enforce the separation so that the screaming, splashing children would be in one pool and the adults in another. On several occasions I have asked if they would do so. The response was little more than a shrug of the shoulders.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 1:00 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by observer
It would be nice if the attendants at Monarch Beach would enforce the separation so that the screaming, splashing children would be in one pool and the adults in another.
Agreed. Or that the inconsiderate parents who are allowing their kids to disturb other people wouldn't do it in the first place. But these are the same parents of the kids that kick the back of your seat on airplanes. Argh.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It would be nice if the attendants at Monarch Beach would enforce the separation so that the screaming, splashing children would be in one pool and the adults in another.
I noticed this when visiting friends at the Grand Wailea Resort on Maui recently, where they also have an Adults Only pool. I even overheard an irritated guest complaining to a pool attendant that they should do something, but the kid said they weren't allowed to do anything and asked the man if he wanted the manager to be called over.

Guess they don't want the pool attendants ticking off the inconsiderate and spoiled.

If it were me, I'd equip each Adult Pool Lounge with a Co2 BB pistol, and place a large sign right by the Adult Pool that says, "Children Season!"

But these are the same parents of the kids that kick the back of your seat on airplanes.
Most likely...yes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.