Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Involuntary seat assignment change issues (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2000, 11:35 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Involuntary seat assignment change issues (consolidated)

This consolidated thread includes many previous threads, dating back to 2002 (the 2000 date next to this post is spurious, pay no attention,) about guaranteed seats (there aren't really any guarantees,) special requests, aircraft and schedule changes, displacement by people with disabilities or security personnel, etc. etc.

Please explore / post your seat change experiences and ask your questions here if you do not find resolution or information that is usable to your specific seat change related issue. Though you may be dealing with an issue that has not been addressed previously, please take a few moments to peruse the information here - it might be helpful.

DO be aware of American's Conditions of Carriage; they cover many seat issues discussed here, and in part, state (updated as of August 2007):

"CHECK-IN REQUIREMENTS AND BAGGAGE ACCEPTANCE CUTOFF TIMES
Customers must comply with minimum check-in requirements to retain their seats on the flight on which they are confirmed. Pre-reserved seats are subject to cancellation unless you have checked in (obtained a boarding pass) at least 30 minutes before scheduled departure. American does not guarantee to provide any particular seat on the aircraft."

"DOMESTIC TRAVEL
In addition to checking in 30 minutes before departure, you must be present at the departure gate and ready to board at least 15 minutes prior to scheduled departure time to retain your reservation and a seat."

"INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL
For flights originating outside the U.S., you must check in 60 minutes before departure, and be present at the departure gate and ready to board at least 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure time to retain your reservation and a seat."

Under "Customers with Disabilites," it states:
" Pre-Reserved Seats
American Airlines and American Eagle block a limited number of seats on each aircraft to accommodate customers who identify themselves as having a qualified disability. Adjacent seats are provided, under certain circumstances, for customers with disabilities who must travel with a companion for assistance." (These are often marked on seating charts, and persons with disabilities and their companions may displaced able-bodied persons from those seats.)

One onerous bit that can be used is
"RESPONSIBILITY FOR SCHEDULES AND OPERATIONS

American will endeavor to carry you and your baggage with reasonable dispatch, but times shown in timetables or elsewhere are not guaranteed and form no part of this contract. American may, without notice, substitute alternate carriers or aircraft and, if necessary, may alter or omit stopping places shown on the ticket. Schedules are subject to change without notice. American is not responsible for or liable for failure to make connections, or to operate any flight according to schedule, or for a change to the schedule of any flight. Under no circumstances shall American be liable for any special, incidental or consequential damages arising from the foregoing."

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 7, 2007 at 5:55 pm Reason: change copied post for framing
Old May 1, 2002, 10:30 pm

Seat change for security reasons

Hi,
I just noticed on AA.com that American changed my seat assignment without warning for an upcoming flight. I had reserved a seat in the "business class" section for both 777 flights from Dallas to Miami and back. On the return flight 908 on May 6, AA apparently reconfigured the plane to 3 class service and my old seat in "business" was changed back to a coach seat in the back of the plane. The agent was very friendly, but she said that seat assignments are not guaranteed even though I was ticketed in "business" part of coach. I asked if they could put me on another flight since they downgraded my seat but she couldn't without a ticket change fee. Great, so American can downgrade my seat, but they can't do me a favor and change my flight free of charge.

Little things like this make it easy to dislike airlines. I wish American could have called me to ask if they could do anything for me before downgrading me. Anybody else deal with such hassles before?

Neil

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 7, 2007 at 4:55 pm Reason: change title back to original
Old May 1, 2002, 11:39 pm

They have to change equipment like this more than you'd think, the kind of proactive outreach you're hoping for would be impractical on an ongoing basis. Right?
Old May 2, 2002, 1:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by neilk:
Hi,
I just noticed on AA.com that American changed my seat assignment without warning for an upcoming flight. I had reserved a seat in the "business class" section for both 777 flights from Dallas to Miami and back. On the return flight 908 on May 6, AA apparently reconfigured the plane to 3 class service and my old seat in "business" was changed back to a coach seat in the back of the plane. The agent was very friendly, but she said that seat assignments are not guaranteed even though I was ticketed in "business" part of coach. I asked if they could put me on another flight since they downgraded my seat but she couldn't without a ticket change fee. Great, so American can downgrade my seat, but they can't do me a favor and change my flight free of charge.

Little things like this make it easy to dislike airlines. I wish American could have called me to ask if they could do anything for me before downgrading me. Anybody else deal with such hassles before?

Neil
</font>
I don't see your real problem. You were never downgraded. You had a seat in economy and ended up on the same flight with a seat in economy. The fact that they were initially only selling it as a 2 class service and that you had been able to get a larger seat does not mean that you were doungraded.

Seat assigments are never guaranteed

Dave
Old May 2, 2002, 1:44 am

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
For example, I was supposedly in F on a 767 (HNL config.). Got "downgraded" to F on Silly 80..)) Was not called and I am EXP - so what, I got to L.A. safely.

Oh well. The FA was great on that flight.
Old May 2, 2002, 2:39 am

Location: I have embarrasingly little status but my wife thinks I am great
I am also not sure of your complaint. Seat assignments are subject to change (mine have been changed frequently). You had an economy ticket and sat in an economy seat.

You say you were ticketed in a business seat. Are you saying that your ticket was a special class or inventory which guaranteed you a business seat?
Old May 2, 2002, 6:23 am

I understand the frustration of having your seat assignments changed without any kind of notification from AA. When I take the time to pick out the seats for four of my family members so we can sit together, I wish for it to stay together.

Just recently, I've noticed that one of our flights and plane configurations have changed. I went to check to see if we were still all seated together. You guessed it!! We were all split up. What irks me is that I made sure to register for Flight Notification. Did I receive any kind of notification from AA? No- none whatsoever.

What if I had not checked my flights/seats arrangements prior to departure? We would have arrived at the airport not knowing we were all split up. This would have been an extreme inconvenience, especially when you are traveling with kids.

To make a story alittle shorter. Since I noted the change in our seats, I went ahead and reconfirmed our seating assignment once again.

My question is this. What's the point of taking the time to pick out your seat assignments if they are not guaranteed?

[This message has been edited by bigeyes1 (edited 05-02-2002).]
Old May 2, 2002, 6:45 am

I had the same experience this week (having my family split up due to seat reassignment), but ironically it wasn't due to plane reconfiguration, but because AA for some reason upgraded my seat to biz class even though I had not requested it! Ugh.
Old May 2, 2002, 7:40 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by wesleymouch:
I had the same experience this week (having my family split up due to seat reassignment), but ironically it wasn't due to plane reconfiguration, but because AA for some reason upgraded my seat to biz class even though I had not requested it! Ugh.</font>
*******S! I bet they'll be getting a scathing letter about this!
Old May 2, 2002, 7:44 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bigeyes1:

My question is this. What's the point of taking the time to pick out your seat assignments if they are not guaranteed?

</font>
AA does this so you won't sue (or demand compensation, etc.) It doesn't mean all seat assignments are randomized just before boarding. Class of service is guaranteed, meaning you get a pro-rata refund if you get bumped from First to Coach on a First Class fare.

I check my seats assignments from time to time in case they change. If they do, I fix it. No big deal.
Old May 2, 2002, 7:56 pm

Okay, you pulled me in to this conversation. If I have an award res
under the same situation, what are the
ramifications?

------------------
Rol,
Old May 2, 2002, 9:43 pm

Hi again,

I am just annoyed that I specifically picked that flight so that I could sit in Biz. AA didn't change any equipment, just where coach class started. Had I known that I could not sit in biz, I would have picked a flight that left several hours later.

Now that I have been downgraded to a smaller seat, I think AA should give me the option of picking a later flight without having to pay a penalty. That's it and no I will not send any complaint letters to AA. It's just a small annoyance that I wanted feedback on.

Neil
Old May 3, 2002, 10:11 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JS:

I check my seats assignments from time to time in case they change. If they do, I fix it. No big deal.
</font>
Except if you booked on AA.com and your reservation/seats are no longer visible.
Old May 3, 2002, 4:32 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by yyzflyer:
Except if you booked on AA.com and your reservation/seats are no longer visible. </font>
I don't use aa.com. It's terrible!
Old May 3, 2002, 4:38 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dave Noble:
Seat assigments are never guaranteed</font>
That's right.

"American does not guarantee to provide any particular seat on the aircraft."

American Airlines Conditions of Carriage.

[This message has been edited by Eugene (edited 05-03-2002).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.