Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Show me your papers! PEK & ICN lounge access problems

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Show me your papers! PEK & ICN lounge access problems

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2004, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Angry Show me your papers! PEK & ICN lounge access problems

A published benefit of * Alliance Gold (1K, Premier Exec) is the ability to enter into any * Alliance lounge on the day of travel, irrespective of class booked.

Hen pecked in Peking

Alas, the Air China folks who run the lounges used by Asiana at PEK (Beijing) insist on collecting an invitational card (generally dispensed by the airlines for first and business class travelers) to enter their miserable lounges. At PEK, I wanted to see both lounges that were open to Asiana business class passengers.

At the lounge nearest immigrations I presented my UA MP 1K card for entry.

No good. "Where is your invite card?" they asked. Though I had an invite card, I wanted to enter on the basis of my * Alliance Gold Card to see which lounge was the more comfortable one.

So for the 6 minutes that I was in that lounge, two lounge wardens followed my every move as I explored the cattle pen that they call a lounge. It was overcrowded and quite frankly, I've seen bus terminals with better ambience.

These two lounge commandants even went so far as to snatch a can of fruit juice from my hands that I was about to open and drink, as they felt that I entered into their inner sanctum improperly.

Very annoying!

The reception at the second lounge near the gates was just as chilly. Again, "where is your invite card?" I showed them my 1K card. I may as well have shown them some object from the moon for the recognition that it garnered.

Eventually they relented and decided to follow the rules. They let me in, but not before phoning the other lounge. Sheesh!

In terms of ambience, this second lounge was better. On the way out, I passed another * Alliance Gold member who was also apparently having difficulty entering the lounge on the basis of his Gold card.

Itching in Inchon

Just when I thought this blend of hospitality was confined to Beijing, it also reappeared at ICN (Inchon/Seoul).

Again, flying Asiana business class, I did have a lounge invite card, but wanted to visit both Asiana's lounge and Singapore's (SQ) lounge at the other end of the terminal.

Entry into the Asiana lounge with my 1K card was gracious and hospitable.

However, entry into the Singapore lounge was not.

The gatekeeper at the front door demanded to know why I was showing her my 1K card and not the lounge invite card. She then asked if I had visited the Asiana lounge prior to entering her private bailiwick.

After photocopying my 1K card, I was deemed worthy enough to enter.

End of story, right? Wrong!

Apparently, while I was quickly touring this lounge (it was just a few minutes prior to my Asiana flight), Madam Klink called the Asiana lounge and determined that I had already visited their refuge earlier.

She then set about searching for me, and found me just as I stepped out of the Men's room. She then proceeded to explain to me that I could enter ONE, and only one * Alliance lounge at ICN. And since I had already visited the Asiana lounge, I was no longer welcome to enjoy SQ's lounge. I would have to leave. Now!

I have not heard of such an absurd rule applying anywhere else. She told me that it was a rule in ICN!

Two questions:

1) Has anyone heard of such an absurd rule in ICN?

2) Who should I to complain to about the ungracious lounge behavior in ICN and PEK? I would like to see that * Alliance rules are properly adhered to in the future, and as far I know, there is no limit on the number of * Alliance lounges that one can visit per day.

Insights appreciated.
Old Dec 10, 2004, 11:52 am

Programs: BA[G], SQ[G], TK[G], DL[PM], EY[G], AF[S], IC[Amb], HH[G]
regarding ICN, there was another thread about these difficulties. If i'm not wrong the thread author wrote to SQ Krisflyer bureau for this bad experience.
Old Dec 10, 2004, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Question

Regarding your PEK experience, did the Air China lounge have a Star Gold sign outside? If not, then you are not allowed access. I was always under the impression that contract lounges such as this do not qualify (unless the lounge is operated by another Star partner, of course...)
Old Dec 10, 2004, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA, AB, AC, AD, AE, AF, AG... you get the picture
i've found that every asian lounge that i've been through with the exception of UA's in NRT (any I haven't visited an exhaustive list) are sticklers for demanding one of those "invite cards". Seems like an extra waste of paper in my mind...
Old Dec 10, 2004, 3:36 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Absolutely nothing unusual. Requiring an invitation card is a fairly common practice when a lounge is not operated by the airline itself. This way, lounge access is controlled by the airline's check-in staff and the lounge staff (who may be airport/3rd party contracted employees) doesn't have to deal with the lounge access rules.

It is a good idea to always check, beforehand, whether the lounge(s) you want to visit are contract lounges and whether an invitation is required (LH website, for example, provides such info) and inquire at check-in.
Old Dec 10, 2004, 3:39 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
all well and good but sometimes you are transiting and already checked in elsewhere

a real hassle if they expect you to exit airside just to get a card to get into the lounge when already have cards (*G + BP) that should do the trick
Old Dec 10, 2004, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by Globehopper
A published benefit of * Alliance Gold (1K, Premier Exec) is the ability to enter into any * Alliance lounge on the day of travel, irrespective of class booked.
No - it entitles you to enter a designated * Gold lounge, not "any * lounge".
If it's not a designated Star Gold Lounge, you need an invitation as per their entry rules. (Or as you are a UA member, you need to be a RCC member and at a lounge that has a reciprocal agreement with RCC.)

Alas, the Air China folks who run the lounges used by Asiana at PEK (Beijing) insist on collecting an invitational card (generally dispensed by the airlines for first and business class travelers) to enter their miserable lounges. At PEK, I wanted to see both lounges that were open to Asiana business class passengers.

At the lounge nearest immigrations I presented my UA MP 1K card for entry. No good. "Where is your invite card?" they asked. Though I had an invite card, I wanted to enter on the basis of my * Alliance Gold Card to see which lounge was the more comfortable one.
There are no *G lounges located at PEK, so you would need the requested invitational card to gain access.

The reception at the second lounge near the gates was just as chilly. Again, "where is your invite card?" I showed them my 1K card. I may as well have shown them some object from the moon for the recognition that it garnered.
It's not a *G lounge so of course it means nothing.

Eventually they relented and decided to follow the rules. They let me in, but not before phoning the other lounge. Sheesh!
Eventually they checked with the first lounge that had your invitation card and determined you were eligible to enter as you did have a invitation card originally.
Why are you angry at these people when it is you that doesn't understand the rules of *G lounge access ???

2) Who should I to complain to about the ungracious lounge behavior in ICN and PEK? I would like to see that * Alliance rules are properly adhered to in the future, and as far I know, there is no limit on the number of * Alliance lounges that one can visit per day.
I'd suggest you write to each carriers Customer Service V.P. about the attitude part.
I wouldn't suggest complaining about them not adhering to * rules, as they actually were adhering to * rules on lounge access at PEK and ICN does have it's 1 lounge only rule, as discussed in here before.

No *G markings or designation at the front of the lounge means no automatic entry for *G's.
Old Dec 10, 2004, 3:54 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by Al B
No *G markings or designation at the front of the lounge means no automatic entry for *G's.

Not every lounge used by *A airlines are *G lounges. Would it be useful to have a thread on lounges that arent *G?
Old Dec 10, 2004, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not Star Gold

Neither of the PEK lounges are Star Gold. They are utilized by star airlines (amongst others) but neither are star gold. Therefore you're stuck choosing only one because you have to hand in the invite card. Both really suck so it doesn't matter anyhow. PEK is a horrible airport all around. It seems like you have to have your boarding pass stamped about 50 times before they let you thru security and the duty free and waiting areas are crowded and worthless. I trust that the Chinese will upgrade their capitol airport before the Olympics.
Old Dec 10, 2004, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Al B
I'd suggest you write to each carriers Customer Service V.P. about the attitude part.
I wouldn't suggest complaining about them not adhering to * rules, as they actually were adhering to * rules on lounge access at PEK and ICN does have it's 1 lounge only rule, as discussed in here before.

I agree with everything you say but I don't think we should just accept some idiots at one airport on the *network dreaming up their own rules. It is not part of the official *rules or exceptions and as such cannot be enforced by the airport or the airlines. Passengers should NOT accept it and complain.
Old Dec 10, 2004, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, JL Sapphire
Funny thing .. maybe just coincidence .. but when producing my UA 1k card I couldn't get into the ANA lounge at PVG ... they wanted to send me down to another overcrowded lounge. Producing my Air Canada *G card got me a smile and a welcome. I never could understand why as I was flying Thai that day. Everyone likes Canadians I guess.
Old Dec 10, 2004, 6:43 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
"I agree with everything you say but I don't think we should just accept some idiots at one airport on the *network dreaming up their own rules. It is not part of the official *rules or exceptions and as such cannot be enforced by the airport or the airlines. Passengers should NOT accept it and complain."

First of all get informed. With respect to Beijing, this is not idiots dreaming up their own rules.

Beijing does not have a Star Gold lounge as Al B noted. These are contract lounges that the Star airlines pay for access to. They are not repeat NOT STAR GOLD lounges. You have no rights of access other than according to the rules of the contract lounge. Star Gold rules do not apply.

The one in Beijing that UA and AC and other * fliers typically use is run by Air China apparently. I use it frequently and never have a problem as I always have my invite card when flying * carriers or use my Air China elite card.
Old Dec 10, 2004, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
First of all get informed. With respect to Beijing, this is not idiots dreaming up their own rules.
Dear BlondeBomber, before you tell people off for not being informed (and you're normally always so friendly ) - I wasn't talking about PEK; this is obviously something the OP wasn't aware of (and should have been before complaining). I was talking about the situation at ICN on which there has been a lengthy discussion on FT in the past. There is no excuse for that.
Old Dec 10, 2004, 10:14 pm

BB you have an Air China elite card ? Cor! You should get a medal for that!
Old Dec 10, 2004, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
re: ICN problems. A letter to KrisFlyer or anyone at HQ isn't going to do anything. If you do want to vent, a letter (with cc to the CEO) to the ICN Country Manager will be most effective -- he'll make sure line staff are apprised. I've lounge surfed SQ and OZ a few times at ICN and never had probs -- SQ EVERYWHERE is real sticklers for rules (guess that's why they have consistent, above average ratings). A lounge card substantially reduces their paperwork. Also, when you use a lounge that isn't that of the operating carrier, the operating carrier must pay for that use -- so, if you visit many lounges, you're driving up the airlines' costs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.