Search

Lounge access for elite FFPs even when flying non-partner airline or not flying

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2004, 5:39 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Lounge access for elite FFPs even when flying non-partner airline or not flying

Apologies if this has come up before but did not find it in my search.

I would like to know which FFPs allow some elite members to use their lounge any time (subject to security - eg being able to access airside etc), even if flying non-partner airline or not flying at all. By non-partner airline I mean regardless of global alliance (eg *A, OW, ST), partnerships with FFP &/or airline, codeshares, etc.

I exclude paid memberships of lounges (or priority pass), and high tier credit cards.

Some I am aware of include:
  • AF Club 2000 - only where operated by AF
  • BA Gold - only where operated by BA
  • BR Gold + 1 companion - only at TPE EVA lounge and requires international flight (any airline)
  • BR Diamond + 2 companions - only where operated by BR and requires international flight (any airline)
  • KL Platinum - only where operated by KL (and possibly NW?)
  • LH (Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian and Lot) Senator - only where operated by LH/LX/OS/LO (except possibly also the joint *A lounge at ZRH) may be changing to requiring a same day boarding pass?
  • QF (Qantas) Platinum - only where operated by QF

Any others?

Updated to post #21.

zzz

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Sep 2, 2009 at 12:23 am Reason: updated
Old Oct 17, 2004, 6:31 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
BA Gold access to BA owned lounges (this covers most major airports).
Old Oct 18, 2004, 1:06 am

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
KL for Plats only, and only KL-operated. There is some confusion about whether this includes NW clubs or not.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 2:12 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Club 2000 for AF operated lounges.
Old Dec 25, 2005, 11:46 pm

Programs: SQ-S.PPS, DL-G, NW-G, BD-G, US-G, UA-GS
I am curious as I could not find an answer to this. If I was flying a domestic US segment, ticketed on UAL, with my UAL FFN on it, can I still get Star Gold lounge access using my non-US Star Gold cards (SQ, BD)?

Someone please help,
A.
Old Dec 26, 2005, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by abrelosojos
I am curious as I could not find an answer to this. If I was flying a domestic US segment, ticketed on UAL, with my UAL FFN on it, can I still get Star Gold lounge access using my non-US Star Gold cards (SQ, BD)?

Someone please help,
A.
Hi,
Yes you can with no problem.Just show the lounge receptionist your boarding pass and your Star Gold card.

Regards

TBS
Old Dec 26, 2005, 8:12 pm

just show the international boarding pass
Old Dec 26, 2005, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by levy
just show the international boarding pass
= Thanks. I got the help I needed.

PS - I am flying domestic as my original post mentioned.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 10:03 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The big problem with lounge access when not flying the airline that owns the lounge is the location is often quite inconvenient and in some airports impossible to reach due to security. Making the theoretical access to the lounges impossible unless you have a boarding pass for the "right" airline. This varies a lot by airport. The other problem is that the more remote airports (with the most primitive facilities) are often excluded from this lounge access as they have a contract lounge, so you must be flying the airline that is paying for the lounge access.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 11:49 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
number_6 hit the nail on the head. Additionally, at some airports (like LHR), even if it is physically possible to access the loung, an airport may require that a passenger not be granted use of a departure lounge unless passenger is in possession of a boarding pass indicating departure from the terminal in which the lounge is located. (That said, the "refundable ticket" boarding pass has often worked. But YMMV.)
Old Dec 28, 2005, 7:17 am

Programs: NW Gold, '06. Good times.
NW Golds and Plats based in Asia have free access to all WorldClubs and "affiliated lounges", the definition of which seems to vary depending upon whom you ask.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 7:24 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by hoyateach
NW Golds and Plats based in Asia have free access to all WorldClubs and "affiliated lounges", the definition of which seems to vary depending upon whom you ask.
DL Plats get access too -- at least to DL CRC and "affiliated lounges" -- as free CRC membership is still a benefit (until 2007) of being DL Plat. But I don't know if a boarding pass showing departure on DL or a Skyteam airline is officially needed to get in or not. (I've gotten in without showing a boarding pass before, but I generally give my status card and my boarding pass out of habit anyway.) Is a boarding pass required to access the NW WorldClubs?
Old Dec 28, 2005, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,
Yes you can with no problem.Just show the lounge receptionist your boarding pass and your Star Gold card.
Or do what I did on Saturday and just handover the *G card. Less confusion that way.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 8:03 am

Be wary of codeshares

At CPH, was denied lounge access to the SAS lounge (with signage indicating this lounge was open to Star members) even though I am Gold, because the boarding pass was for flight operated by Cimber Air, even though the flight number was SAS.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
(That said, the "refundable ticket" boarding pass has often worked. But YMMV.)
= What do you mean by this? Also, whats YMMV?

-A.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.