The ultimate UPGRADE thread

Old Oct 19, 2002, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The ultimate UPGRADE thread

Hello all, I'd like to use this thread to add all the information we have to offer BA board visitors on the famous "U" word.

As you are all aware that question gets asked at least 2 or 3 times a week so if we have a single thread with all the answers it will save us laughing when someone asks how they upgrade their ultra cheap fare... Please add all the information you have to offer so we can completely stop using the U word here

The Ultimate Upgrade Answers

HOW do I upgrade on BA?

British Airways does not have the same upgrade policy as most US carriers, they tend to try and keep their premium cabins just that; premium. There are no booklets of vouchers for elites, no $90 upgrade coupons and nothing to trade on the Coupon Connection. All upgrades will either be operational, paid for by paying the fare difference at check in, using an elite tier point voucher or using Asia Miles. Keep in mind that a business class or first class ticket on longhaul BA costs between $2000 and $12000, most of the people in a premium cabin will have paid for their seat though it is not impossible that up to half of them received an operational upgrade. BAs loads of paying pax in business and first are quite good.

How do they process their operational upgrades?

If and when BA decides to do operational upgrades they are processed before or during check in and very rarely by the desk staff. There are no published written rules on operational upgrades but generally the process works by selecting pax off the manifest. BA will always select their own elite tier pax first. The order of operational upgrades will probably look something like this:

Premier (invitation only elite level)
Gold and/or Full fare paying pax
Silver
OW Top tier
OW Mid tier
Blue

The regular rules of dressing nicely and putting on a smile will probably not work though it naturally never hurts to be prepared to sit in a premium cabin. Of course it also never hurts to ask at check in, so be there early and always stay friendly and courteous. Dont try the do you know who I am routine or trying to demand anything based on other Oneworld status, it wont help.

What is the 2400 point upgrade voucher?

Gold Executive Club members in certain countries receive a free one class upgrade voucher when they reach 2400 tier points, the voucher can only be used by gold card members and will undoubtedly be used by the Gold member him or herself.
Old Oct 19, 2002, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Very helpful post, Scott, thanks.

I have a question concerning the operational upgrades and pax holding different status levels traveling together on the same PNR.

Say Scotty Gold and Celby Blue (names chosen entirely at random, of course) are traveling together. Are elite Scotty Gold's chances of an operational upgrade hindered by sharing the same PNR with plebeian Celby Blue? Would you recommend splitting the PNR to improve Scotty Gold's chances of sitting up front and just let Celby Blue smolder in the back with Merry's P.A.?

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 19, 2002, 7:04 am

Programs: Various
'As you are all aware that question gets asked at least 2 or 3 times a week so if we have a single thread with all the answers it will save us laughing when someone asks how they upgrade their ultra cheap fare... Please add all the information you have to offer so we can completely stop using the U word here'

Whats wrong with using the U word here?
UNLIKELY, there I've said it. Am I going to be banned from posting to the BA forum for a week now?

Lets go for a month ban: ULTRA UNLIKELY. But if you still want to try and get in the premium cabin with Lord Lucan and Shergar....

I get asked a lot at work, how do you get upgraded to Business. My smart-alec answer: Buy a Business Class ticket, works 100% of the time!

Thanks,
Richard

Old Oct 19, 2002, 7:38 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by blairvanhorn:
Very helpful post, Scott, thanks.

I have a question concerning the operational upgrades and pax holding different status levels traveling together on the same PNR.

Say Scotty Gold and Celby Blue (names chosen entirely at random, of course) are traveling together. Are elite Scotty Gold's chances of an operational upgrade hindered by sharing the same PNR with plebeian Celby Blue? Would you recommend splitting the PNR to improve Scotty Gold's chances of sitting up front and just let Celby Blue smolder in the back with Merry's P.A.?

What do you recommend that Celby Blue (where did you think that one up?) instruct to sue for? How can you reduce emotional distress at hearing Scotty Gold laughing his socks off at Celby Blue sitting in Classe Trashette pausing merely to belch off the effects of too much Krug?

I would recommend 500,000 (in 50 notes) and a shetland pony dyed powder blue to match Blair BlackAmex's (random name) eyes.

Thanks in advance![/B]</font>
Merry's PA, flies CW. I operationally upgrade him.

From 0 - 35,000ft, the CSD is Monarch of all she surveys.

She who laughs last!!

(Remember that Him Indoors !!)

[This message has been edited by PUCCI GALORE (edited 10-19-2002).]
Old Oct 19, 2002, 10:20 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (current GGL), HH Diamond
Don't forget that mileage based upgrades are possible in the US program.

I'd refer people to the handbook for more info. But to answer the most commonly asked questions:

Travel must originate in the US.

You can only upgrade from unrestricted fares, which means fares with no penalty for changes or cancellation. Generally B2 is the cheapest unrestricted WT fare, and T2 is the cheapest unrestricted WT+ fare.

For US or Canada to Europe:

For routes with WT+:

25K for WT to WT+
35K for WT+ to CW

For routes without WT+:
40K for WT to CW

Club World to First or First to Concorde:

Refer to the handbook for other destinations.
Old Oct 19, 2002, 11:12 am
In Memoriam

Location: Grand Rapids, MI USA UA 1K, AA EXP 1MM, SQ PPS, BA GOLD, Hyatt D, Hertz Plat and AMEX Cent
What most US based PAX seem to not understand is that the BA (and most good airlines) approach to protecting the F cabin is why those of us who pay to fly it do PAY to fly in F. I loose my AA miles across the Atlantic, but I still fly BA so that I am not in a cabin stuffed full of upgrades and staff. This means that BA gets my money and AA does not - works for me.
Old Oct 19, 2002, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which would those "good" airlines be?? If you are referring to SQ, I can direct you to multiple places where you can purchase their F product quite cheaply. For that matter try BA F originating in lets say... Milan, and you'll see how they have totally cheapened the price of their product.

BTW, I would not consider a load factor of less than 62% to be very good transatlantically upfront. That has been BA's average load for more than a year on these routes.
Old Oct 19, 2002, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hfly:
Which would those "good" airlines be?? If you are referring to SQ, I can direct you to multiple places where you can purchase their F product quite cheaply. For that matter try BA F originating in lets say... Milan, and you'll see how they have totally cheapened the price of their product.

BTW, I would not consider a load factor of less than 62% to be very good transatlantically upfront. That has been BA's average load for more than a year on these routes.
</font>
But at least BA's cabins are filled with people who paid for the class they are sitting in instead of a cabin full of people who get $3000 seats for $400 and a coupon...

Old Oct 19, 2002, 2:15 pm
In Memoriam

Location: Grand Rapids, MI USA UA 1K, AA EXP 1MM, SQ PPS, BA GOLD, Hyatt D, Hertz Plat and AMEX Cent
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hfly:

</font>
I am sure that BA is thrilled with a 62% paid LF - run the numbers and you will see.
Old Oct 19, 2002, 4:50 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
I recently came in contact with someone who said he was a Gold member and the every flight he's had since he has been upgraded. From what I could tell he wasn't lying or bragging. I couldn't quiz him more on it at the time, but is this ususal for other Golds too? Or has he just been lucky?
Old Oct 19, 2002, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dddc:
I recently came in contact with someone who said he was a Gold member and the every flight he's had since he has been upgraded. From what I could tell he wasn't lying or bragging. I couldn't quiz him more on it at the time, but is this ususal for other Golds too? Or has he just been lucky?</font>
I could answer that but I'd have to kill you
Old Oct 19, 2002, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't say that the 62% was paid, nor if they were paid, that they are all Gateway city O/D's. If 62% is the high point of what their capacity currently is, perhaps 25% of that is paid J or F, with a hell of a lot of outstation D's and I's and many many op ups.
Old Oct 19, 2002, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I didn't say that the 62% was paid, nor if they were paid, that they are all Gateway city O/D's. If 62% is the high point of what their capacity currently is, perhaps 25% of that is paid J or F, with a hell of a lot of outstation D's and I's and many many op ups.</font>
I've seen way to many pax manifests to know for a fact that the amount of paying pax is much higher than 25%, even though they certainly do have a certain amount of op's they most certainly also grab a large amount of people who pay for where they are.
Old Oct 19, 2002, 6:17 pm

On Sept10,2001 I reached Gold,I was really excited and i mentioned it to the chief purser,who told me to seat in CW,that was the only time I ever got upgraded on board,otherwise TLV-LHR on SUNM return Thurs. has at least a 50% upgrade chance.I dont take my chances but I allwaya ask out of curiosity.
Old Oct 20, 2002, 9:52 am

Programs: Mucci Gold Class
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dddc:
I recently came in contact with someone who said he was a Gold member and the every flight he's had since he has been upgraded. From what I could tell he wasn't lying or bragging. I couldn't quiz him more on it at the time, but is this ususal for other Golds too? Or has he just been lucky?</font>
He's been very very lucky. I've been Gold for years. Certain times of the year, upgrades are more frequent (high-season for ex) as planes are overbooked and you're first in line for op ups. But overall, I've probably only been upgraded 20% of the time when not actually booked in CW or F. I have NEVER been upgraded out of Heathrow.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.