Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Upgrade/Standby Waitlists [Merged] (Updated 2009)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2004, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

I posted this once before as a response to someone, but I thought I would post it in it’s own topic so that we could have a brief discussion of “waitlists” at United so that we can attempt see the whole picture. Below is my understanding of the different waitlists at United. I would appreciate it if others would comment on the following, so that I can finally see if my understanding is accurate.

Prior to departure there is the waitlist for upgrades and a waitlist for awards. For an upgrade, one is awaiting NC/NF space to open up. For awards, one needs XY/XC/XF space to open up. According to what I have read here, there is a PA, PB, and PD waitlist (the PD waitlist is rarely mentioned on FT). While I am not positive, I think the way it works is that the entire PA list is cleared based on dated added, and then the PB list, and then the PD list. I think the way that status works into this arrangement is that those with higher status are put on the higher waitlist (i.e., PA1).

At a certain point prior to departure, the airport takes control of everything that hasn't cleared yet. However, it has been noted that inventory management still sometimes clears awards/upgrades after the airport has taken control. At this point, I believe everyone awaiting an upgrade goes onto the UGDG list, which I believe is part of the Departure Management List. This list is cleared based on status, fare paid, time added, and then alphabetically based on last name. However, someone who has a BP code of FFCC (meaning paid for F/C, but isn't confirmed on a flight) on a flight will trump a 1K who is trying to upgrade. Some FTers have been successful getting FFCC on awards even when s/he was never confirmed in an F cabin, but did get an F award. For example, if one has a XC award for JFK-LAX-SEA-LAX-JFK, and everything has cleared except LAX-SEA, some FTers have gotten CSRs to make them FFCC on the DM so that s/he clears before 1K just trying to upgrade using miles/certs. The other way to get a DM card for first class is if you clear into First/Business, but there is no actual seat assignment available at the time of check-in. This occurs when your cabin is oversold, and it is similar to when Y passengers check-in, but there aren’t any coach seats assignments available at that time. In this situation, the First passenger will get a DM card that says “Confirmed: United First” and “BP1A.” A coach passenger on this flight will get a DM card that says “Confirmed: United Economy” and “BP2.” When the CSR working the flight dumps unclaimed seat assignments, those holding DM cards for BP1-4 will then receive a seat assignment. I don’t know exactly how BP3 and BP4 work into the whole system since they are for Non-Revenue Positive Space travel. I don’t think it’s really relevant here, so we can gloss over it. The only time I think it is relevant to a revenue passenger is that I believe a BP3 or BP4 will be involuntarily denied boarding before a BP2 revenue passenger.

There is also the standby for passengers who desire to take a flight other than the one on which s/he is confirmed. Once a CSR begins to dump confirmed reservations and seat assignments, the CSR will then start to clear the DM list starting with BP5As. BP5A is generally reserved for disserviced and full-fare passengers. However, some FTers have been able to get BP5A even when traveling on cheap fares. The BP5A list is sorted by status, fare, time added, and then alphabetically by last name. After the BP5A list is cleared, if seats are still open, the BP5B list is then cleared, which contains all other revenue standbys. It is cleared in same order as BP5A. This means that a 2P with a BP code of 5A will receive a seat before a 1K with a BP code of 5B. I think the BP5A code is rarely used. If seats are still open after all revenue standbys are accommodated, non-revenue passengers (BP5C through BP10) are then accommodated on the flight. These are the passengers referred to as NRSA. There is also a PSUG list for UA employees traveling on company business who are allowed to upgrade to the next class of service. This list is cleared after all revenue upgrades are accommodated. However, I am not sure exactly how that works, or how the process by which NRSAs travel in premium cabins if seats are still available after all the other lists are cleared, but I assume it has something to do with seniority and their BP code for space available travel.

The above is only my understanding of the different waitlists at United based on FT, conversations with CSRs/RSSRs, and my personal experiences. Please feel free to comment, or tell me if anything is blatantly wrong, and I will be sure to change it, but please go easy on me.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 3:00 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Bp Codes....

BP codes...

BP-1A
Full fare revenue - F/FN/C/Y (includes Mileage Plus FREE Tickets) and members of Pass Plus.

Members of the UA Board of Directors (007 cardholder and eligibles)

UA Directors Emeritus (005 cardholder and spouse)

UA Company Officers (008 NRPSX cardholder and eligibles)

UA Retired Officers

Disabled or hardship revenue

NOTES: May be downgraded for oversales? NO
May be downgraded for revenue standbys? NO
May be downgraded for Mileage Plus upgrade certificates? NO
May be denied boarding? NO
May have advance seat reservation? YES

BP-1B
Priority UA Flight Crews
Emergency UA Personnel
NOTES: May be downgraded for oversales? YES
May be downgraded for revenue standbys? YES
May be downgraded for Mileage Plus upgrade certificates if on standby? NO
IF BOOKED IN -Y- AND WAITLISTED FOR F WILL GO TO FFCC LIST AND SHOULD BE CLEARED WITH FFCC.. IF NOT ENTITLED TO F WILL ONLY BE BOOKED Y AND CLEARED FOR UPGRADE FROM PSUG LIST IN SENIORITY ORDER.
May be denied boarding? NO1
ALWAYS ADVISE NRPS TRAVELERS OF DOWNGRADES OR SEAT CHANGES BEFORE COMPLETING TRANSACTION
May have advance seat reservation in Y or C? YES
C CLASS WITHIN 72 HOURS OF DEPARTURE/NO ADVANCE CK-IN*
* NOTE: FLIGHT OFFICER F SEATS MAY BE PRE-ASSIGNED *
* FOR DEADHEADING SEGMENTS AND PC TRIPS.
1 FLIGHT ATTENDANTS: Jumpseats (if available) may be used to accommodate deadheading flight attendants in order to avoid or minimize removal of revenue passengers. Flight attendants need not be in uniform. ON ANY SEGMENT OVER 4 HOURS JUMPSEATS MAY *NOT* BE ASSIGNED TO DEADHEAD F/A*
PILOTS: With approval of OPBCM, deadheading pilots may be moved to cockpit jumpseats to avoid or minimize removal of revenue passengers.

BP-1C
NTSB/FAA/NWS Inspectors on Official EMERGENCY Business
May be downgraded for Mileage Plus upgrade certificates? YES
May have advance seat reservation/check-in? NO

BP-2
Other than full fare revenue passengers (includes Mileage Plus DISCOUNT tickets)
Tour conductors traveling with group
Bonus travel ticket with reservations
Bulk tickets
Tour operator tickets
Part charter tickets
Compensation tickets
Federal Express tickets / Industry Positive Space / ID50 PS
1NOTES: May be downgraded for oversales? YES
May be downgraded for revenue standbys? NO
May be downgraded for Mileage Plus upgrade certificates? NO
May have advance seat reservation? YES

BP-3
UA Business Travel (includes NON-PRIORITY crew members)
UA Confirmed Emergency Travel (Round-Trip)
EMPLOYEE/SPOUSE/DOMESTIC PARTNER/CHILDREN
MILEAGE PLUS EMERGENCY TRAVEL ROUNDTRIP EMPLOYEE/SPOUSE/ELIGIBLE CHILDREN
OA Officers (009X/009 Cardholder and spouse)
May be upgraded before Mileage Plus Upgrade Certificates if on Standby? NO
May be denied boarding? NO CAN BE DENIED BOARDING ONLY IF EMPLOYEE
OR TRAVELER CONCURS. THIS ONLY APPLIES TO OA/UAX/GSA P/TICKETS AND BOOKINGS.
May have advance seat reservation in Y or C? YES C CLASS WITHIN 72 HOURS OF DEPARTURE

BP-4
OA Business Travel
Tour Conductor Traveling Without Group
EMERGENCY TRAVEL RT - UAX EMPLOYEE/ELIGIBLES
Travel Agent Training
Travel Agent with Positive Space Ticket
UAX BUSINESS TVL -NRPS- MAY BOOK IN C CLASS ON THREE CABIN AIRCRAFT.
CORPORATE CUSTOMER -UA PROVIDED TRANSPORTATION
GSA TVLG ON UA BUSINESS-MAY BE UPGRADED
May be downgraded for Mileage Plus upgrade certificates? YES
May be denied boarding? YES CAN BE DENIED BOARDING ONLY IF EMPLOYEE OR TRAVELER CONCURS. THIS ONLY APPLIES TO OA/UAX/GSA P/ TICKETS AND BOOKINGS. CORPORATED CUSTOMERS/TVL AGENTS MAY BE DENIED BDG.
May have advance seat reservation? YES OA/UAX NRPS ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR UPGRADE FROM THE PSUG LIST. THEY ARE ALLOWED TO STANDBY AS NRSA FOR C OR F AS BP10. UAX IS ALLOWED BP9 FOR C OR F USING CURRENT DAY SENIORITY. THE NRPS CHECK-IN AND THE NRSA STANDBY REQUIRE TWO SEPARATE TRANSACTIONS.

Revenue/NRPS Standby Boarding Priorities
Note: Accommodate within categories based on time of airport check in. Give preference to Executive/ Premier/Mileage Plus within categories.

BP-5A
Best airline priority such as -misconnects------ denied boardings/disserviced etc. This could include disserviced BP1B/BP3/BP4
BP-5B
All other revenue standbys-all economy tickets including NF/NC. Note: will sort by Mileage Plus status followed by Booking Class code.
BP-5C
All NRPS standbys BP1B/BP3/BP4

NRSA Boarding Priorities
BP6/BP7/BP8 - Accommodate based on company seniority.
BP9/BP10 - Accommodate within category based on time of check-in.

BP8 Retiree - Convert Retirees' years of service to a pseudo-seniority date, subtract from the current month and year, i.e. 10 years, 2 months subtracted from 4/85 gives a February 1975 pseudo-seniority date.

BP-6A
OA Employee Emergency Travel - GOING Note: companions are not eligible for emergency BP6
BP-6B
UA Retiree--25 years or more of service/Spouse/dependent child up to 25th birthday domestic travel only (domestic travel is North America including SJU and STT)
Disabled dependent child of retiree with 25 or more years of service
Parents accompanied by retiree or spouse/dp with 25 years or more of service---domestic travel only
UA Employee/Spouse/dp/ Child to 25th birthday ID75 fare domestic/international travel.
UA Retiree--less than 25 years of service/Spouse/dp dependent child to 25th birthday on 1/4 fare. Domestic travel only.
Parents of Employee traveling on 1/4 fare...domestic/international
NOTE: Domestic travel is North America, including SJU and STT

BP-7
UA Employee Business Travel - SPACE AVAILABLE
BP-8A
UA Employee/spouse/dependent child to age 22, domestic partner traveling on pass or ID90/ID95 including new hire employees.
Child age 22 to 25th birthday accompanied by Employee or Employee*s spouse/domestic partner.
Disabled child regardless of age or whether traveling with Employee or traveling alone.
UA Employee plus 1 Companion on pleasure tickets.
UA Retiree plus 1 Companion on pleasure tickets.
1 Companion accompanied by UA officer/retired officer.
NOTE: UA Employee/Retiree must be the one who sponsored the companion travel.

Parents with UA Employee/spouse/domestic partner traveling on pass or ID95.
Parents accompanied by Retiree or spouse with less than 25 yrs of service.
UA Retirees--less than 25years of service/spouse/dependent child to age 22/accompanied child age 22 to 25th birthday on pleasure travel.
UA Retirees/spouse/dependent child/accompanied parents...international travel.
UA GHA/GSA and eligibles on 1/4 fare.
UA interns/eligibles ID95.
Temporary/supplemental ID90.
Employee on Leave of Absence.
Mileage Plus employees/Galileo Japan employees and eligibles.
Mileage plus employee plus 1 Companion. NOTE: companion is only BP8A when accompanied by employee.
BP-8B
UA dependent child age 22 to 25th birthday unaccompanied on pass or ID95 inc. retiree child unaccompanied on pass/ID95 if retiree has less than 25 years of service.
UA Employee plus two Companions.
UA Retiree plus two Companions.
Two Companions accompanied by UAL Officer or retired Officer.
Mileage Plus employee plus two Companions.
Unaccompanied parents on pass/ID95 travel.
Retiree's unaccompanied parents.
BP-8C
Companions not accompanied by sponsoring Employee/Retiree/Officer/retired Officer are boarded by Employee/Retiree/Officer seniority (no intl first class on 3 cabin flights allowed) NOTE: Maximum of two companions per employee per flight. **SEE FOOTNOTES AT END**
UAX Employees/eligibles on pass/ID75. Current day seniority is used. This includes international travel all cabins. 3 cabin first class international is subject to same criteria as United Employees/eligibles.
UA Employees/eligibles WYO/ID75 on UAX current day seniority on DM.
UAX Employees/eligibles on other UAX carrier flights. Use current day seniority.
MPI employees/eligibles on UAX - use current day seniority - must be manually changed.

BP-9
Travel agency employee.
Travel agency trade association paying fair market value.
UAX BP4 business NRPS desiring upgrade. **SEE FOOTNOTES AT END**
UA GHA/GSA and eligibles pleasure pass.
Star Alliance employee/eligible/retiree.
Star Alliance employee and one/two companions. ****SEE NOTES BELOW FOR STAR CARRIERS NAMES/CODES****
BP-10
OA Employee Business Travel - Fair Market Value
OA business BP4 C/Y desiring upgrade to F
Airline Trade Association employee paying Fair Marketing Value
CATO Employee - business or pleasure - pay Fair Marketing Value
OA Employee Emergency Travel - RETURN
OA Employee Pleasure Travel - Fair Market Value
FOOTNOTES
N O T E S :
-BP6A/6B/BP7/BP8A/8B/8C:
-ACCOMMODATE ON COMPANY SENIORITY
-OA EMERGENCY USE CURRENT DAY SENIORITY
-UAX ON UA AND UA ON UAX - CURRENT DAY
SENIORITY

-BP8C- -COMPANIONS TRAVELING WITH EMPLOYEES
ON CJA/OMC/WORKING CREW OR NRPS
COMPANY BUSINESS OR PRODUCT SAMPLE
PASS ARE ASSIGNED THE SAME BOARDING
PRIORITY AS UNACCOMPANIED COMPANION
I.E. BP8C
BP9/BP10: -ACCOMMODATE WITHIN CATEGORY BASED ON
TIME OF AIRPORT CHECK-IN.
BP9/BP10: -ACCOMMODATE WITHIN CATEGORY BASED ON
TIME OF AIRPORT CHECK-IN.

****UAX EMPLOYEES AND ELIGIBLES MAY STANDBY FOR ANY CLASS
OF SERVICE ON UA FLIGHTS INCLUDING INTERNATIONAL FIRST
CLASS UNDER THE SAME PROVISIONS AS UA EMPLOYEES AND
ELIGIBLES.
STAR ALLIANCE CARRIERS - AIR CANADA-AC/AIR NEW ZEALAND-NZ
ALL NIPPON-NH/ANSETT-AN/AUSTRIA-OS/LAUDA-NG/TYROLEAN-VO
BRITISH MIDLAND-BD/LUFTHANSA-LH/MEXICANA-MX/SAS-SK
SINGAPORE-SQ/THAI-TG/VARIG/RG
In regards to the questions about companions traveling in Premium cabins....I've only done it a once. One time I was in Y the other time I was in F (2 CABIN). I believe it comes down to what is open when they get to your name on the list. I was listed for F on both segments but by the time they got to me on the BP list, F wasn't available. I think it's standard for most non-revenue passengers to be listed for F (2 cabin) / C (3 cabin). Whether or not there is an open seat is another question.

Last edited by kluau88; Aug 27, 2004 at 3:03 pm
Old Aug 27, 2004, 4:18 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
On how BP5's are cleared (or almost any passenger within the same BP code,) you got it right, except for alha by last name. In the world of nanosecond computer responces, never, are 2 passengers on the list at the exact same time. It goes by status, fare, time on the list, in that order within any category.

As for your companion question...seniority of sponsoring employee solves 99.9% of them, after that, it goes by time on the list. (ex-roomate and I had the same hire date, and we would race to get ourselves checked in before the other when we traveled together, even though, I argued that I started my 1st day at 630AM, and he started in the afternoon, date is all the computer knows.)

As for how waitlists (PA/PB) are cleared in advance, I do not know how the automation on those lists works.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fastair
On how BP5's are cleared (or almost any passenger within the same BP code,) you got it right, except for alha by last name. In the world of nanosecond computer responces, never, are 2 passengers on the list at the exact same time. It goes by status, fare, time on the list, in that order within any category.
Are you sure this is correct? Two times recently I have added myself and my traveling companion to the DM using Easy Check-in. We both have the same status, same fare code, and are on the same PNR. Our DM cards so the same BP, Status, and time added, yet she is always called right before my name when the agents clear the DM. Also, on the Easy Check-in screen, my name appears first and then hers because my name is the first in the PNR. When a CSR adds us to the DM, sometimes they say my name first and sometimes her name. However, she is always directly above me when Easy Check-in adds us, so I assumed that was the only logical reason why she goes above me is because her last name comes before mine. Also, I was once told my a CSR that the DM only uses minutes, so it would be if two people are added in the same minute, not the same nanosecond. Is this incorrect?

Last edited by LGA_UAL; Aug 27, 2004 at 6:39 pm
Old Aug 27, 2004, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
Thanks a lot for all this information. I kind of knew BP5A and B--but this is a really helpful way to understand more.
Old Aug 28, 2004, 5:54 am

Great information, and an amazing number of priorities, conditions, etc. Am I correct to presume that most of this prioritizing and clearning prior to flight is automated, i.e., once remaining seats/assignments are released into the system, the system automatically goes through these lists in priority order and simply displays the names in the proper class of service for the GA to clear and issue?
Old Aug 28, 2004, 10:46 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Yes, provided the information was entered in correctly to begin with. 90% of it is automated, but the other 10% is not. The BP1-3 are automated, BP4 is always manual, BP5 is manual, and anything beyond that is for Non revenue passengers and 100% manual. Once you are put on the "list" correctly, the automation does list passengers in the order they should be (per the DM logic)
Old Dec 23, 2004, 10:58 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
okay so how do I ask the agent to put my no-status companion on the BP5A list so we both get standby on the same flight (I am a 1k) ???
Old May 23, 2005, 5:38 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Why Only BP5 On DM Card And Gate Agent Entries

If there is bp5A and bp5B, is it common for a dm card to just list BP5? If this is the case, you would have to ask if you are bp5A or bp5B?

Also how difficult is it for the CSR to play with these priorities when they put someone on the list? E.g. to make someone a BP5A instead of the normal BP5B, is that just a couple of extra kyestrokes over the other entries, or would it involve major changes to the PNR before the system would allow that?

Also are volunteers somehow on the DM list? Does your MP status impact where you are as a volunteer to give up your seat?

Finally let's say you are standing by for a later flight and you also want to upgrade? How is that technically done in the system, e.g. your really on the list twice in a sense there? Can you be on the DM list for an upgrade to F and also as a volunteer to be bumped?
Old May 28, 2006, 1:28 am

I should know this by now but
When it comes to the departure management list , does a XC waitlisted pax ( ie business class award) ( with a seat in Y) trump pax wait listed for upgrade economy to business (with a seat in Y) no matter their status ?

Last edited by ozflier; May 28, 2006 at 1:36 am
Old Jun 14, 2006, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
This is a very timely question for me. I am a General Member (formerly 1k). I am in Hawaii on a Business award and have hurt my back. I'd like to go back early, but I'm wondering what the chances are of me getting a C seat, which is even more important given my back problems.

The answer to the above question would be helpful. Also, any other advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
Beachfan
Old Jun 14, 2006, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by beachfan
This is a very timely question for me. I am a General Member (formerly 1k). I am in Hawaii on a Business award and have hurt my back. I'd like to go back early, but I'm wondering what the chances are of me getting a C seat, which is even more important given my back problems.

The answer to the above question would be helpful. Also, any other advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
Beachfan
In your case, assuming its an MP award on all MP metal, just call them and ask them for C availability and book directly into your new, confirmed seat on the flight you want.

Feel better.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 12:05 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Do saver awards for XF still get FFCC? Thanks.

Last edited by seawolf; Jun 21, 2006 at 1:37 pm
Old Jul 8, 2006, 11:27 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Blue, UA Corpse
Originally Posted by seawolf
Do saver awards for XF still get FFCC? Thanks.
That is a good question (I asked that question about a week ago in another thread but unfortunately it got lost).
Situation: I am on a LH M/M C award with domestic legs on UA metal and international legs on LH metal. The domestic inbound leg is on a 735 but there was no XF seat available, so I got a XY seat. I learned that *A awards could not be waitlisted. Anyway, is there any chance to get into (X)F before all the upgrade seats are allocated? (I hope to be 1P by that time).
Old Jul 8, 2006, 1:04 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by fradoc
That is a good question (I asked that question about a week ago in another thread but unfortunately it got lost).
Situation: I am on a LH M/M C award with domestic legs on UA metal and international legs on LH metal. The domestic inbound leg is on a 735 but there was no XF seat available, so I got a XY seat. I learned that *A awards could not be waitlisted. Anyway, is there any chance to get into (X)F before all the upgrade seats are allocated? (I hope to be 1P by that time).
Yes, there is a chance of grabbing yourself an F seat, but you'll need to watch United.com for availability and/or call UA to grab an XF seat if it comes open. If it does not come open before day of departure, then you should ask to be put on the waitlist when you check in and mention it again at the gate, to confirm with the gate agent that you are on the list and that it reflects that you "paid" for the F seat and has assigned the appropriate priority on the DM list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.