Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Transfer of Mileage Upon Death" Thread [Merged] (Updated 2010)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2003, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

My friend just passed away last weekend and has 200K sitting in his MP account. The widow wants to know if MP will let her transfer the miles over to her account. She hasn't had time to MP and I'm hoping someone here may know the answer. Thank you in advance.

JM1K
Old Jul 23, 2003, 5:50 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by just_made1k:
My friend just passed away last weekend and has 200K sitting in his MP account. The widow wants to know if MP will let her transfer the miles over to her account. She hasn't had time to MP and I'm hoping someone here may know the answer. Thank you in advance.

JM1K
</font>
Condolences regarding your friend. I was in the same situation last year. At the time, I went through the 'Mileage Plus Terms and Conditions' (available on the web site) and, as I remember, they do not allow the transfer of miles from the deceased's account (they basically dissolve).

To clarify - this was my father and I don't think transfer to descendants is allowed...

Good luck...

------------------
Ex-1K

[This message has been edited by jprim (edited 07-23-2003).]
Old Jul 23, 2003, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry to hear of your friend's and your loss.

Yes, they can transfer over the miles from the deceased's account over to the surviving spouse. Just have them call the Mileage Plus Service Center and they will give them all the details.

Basically, they'll get an address in which to send a letter of the request with both account numbers, and a copy of the Death Certificate to.
Old Jul 23, 2003, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA,HP,MP,DL,SPG, MR
My husband passed away in February of this year. We both had ff accounts with British, AA, AWA, and Delta. Every airline allowed me to have his miles, of course each with different fees and different stipulations, but all in all it was fine and I thank them.
Old Jul 23, 2003, 6:30 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
I believe that UA will allow post-death transfer of miles per will or trust agreement, even beyond surviving spouse. As PremEx advises, M+ can tell you what documents the survivor or estate representative need to present.
Old Jul 23, 2003, 8:02 pm

It sounds like the miles can only transfer to surviving spouses. What about kids?
Old Jul 24, 2003, 6:20 am

Programs: AA,HP,MP,DL,SPG, MR
You would have to do a search, but someone on flyertalk created a document where it tells you the policy for each airline and give you space to fill in the information for your beneficiary. I have a copy in my documents but don't know how to put it here. Sorry.
Old Jul 24, 2003, 8:40 am

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Just redeem them online using the person's MP online password and then ticket them for someone else in the family. No one will ever know and no one will ever care.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 11:41 am

Death of father--transfer of miles

My father passed away recently and had 35000 miles in his account. My mom contacted UAL and asked about moving the miles over. They replied that miles are not transferable upon death but "send us $75 and we'll do it."

Is this reasonable? Frankly, it's almost an insult in a way. Okay, we'll do you a favor but we want to make some money on this.

My mom is angry enough that she is ready to cancel her CC and use other airlines from now on.

Thanks for any feedback.

Sheldon
Old Mar 16, 2004, 11:49 am

While I do not know UA's policy with this, I do want to welcome you to FlyerTalk and I am very sorry to hear about your loss.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 12:18 pm
TUFBEAR

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by nesdog:
They replied that miles are not transferable upon death but "send us $75 and we'll do it."
Is this reasonable? Frankly, it's almost an insult in a way. Okay, we'll do you a favor but we want to make some money on this.
Sheldon
</font>
Accrued mileage and certificates do not constitute property of the member. Neither accrued mileage nor certificates are transferable (i) upon death, (ii) as part of a domestic relations matter, or (iii) otherwise by operation of law.

The 35K miles are worth alot more than $75.00. It's up to you, but I'd bite the bullet and do it, and consider it a favor, providing you still get the same offer when you call back.

Nothing's free anymore!!!
Sorry about the loss of your dad. Help your mom out and call them back.

[This message has been edited by TUFBEAR (edited Mar 16, 2004).]

Old Mar 16, 2004, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP
If the miles are not the property of the member, do not transfer them at all. If they are, then transfer them for free. Offering to do what is apparently against policy for $75 is in bad taste IMHO.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA1P, HH Gold
I wonder if this is one of those circumstances where it would make sense to call back again (different customer service rep) and see if you get a different answer? If the account hasn't been notated it might be worth a try. I agree that the offer to do it for $75 seems crass.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA former 1K MM
United say:

Transfer miles to up to three different Mileage Plus accounts at one time for a fee. The fee structure is $0.01 per mile plus tax and a $25 processing fee. Miles may be transferred in 1,000 mile increments with a minimum transaction of 5,000 miles. Members may transfer a maximum of 15,000 miles to a single Mileage Plus member and up to a total of 60,000 miles from a single account. Miles will be posted to the receiving account within seven business days. For more information or to transfer miles, visit www.united.com/transfermiles.

Unless I made a mistake, $0.01 x 35,000 = $350. So $75 seems like a bargain.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FlyerTalk, nesdog.

It appears that UA will allow transfer of the miles to the surviving spouse on an exception basis, and may or may not charge you a $75 fee. As with many inquires, it can all depend on whom you talk to on the phone.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 15, 2007 at 6:37 pm Reason: URL Obsolete after thread merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.