Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Upgrading Codeshare Tickets (US Air Ticket - UAL Plane)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2004, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

I am currently looking to buy a r/t ticket from OAK to IAD. The ticket prices out at $189 on US Air vs. $318.80 on United. These prices are for the identical flight (codeshare), which is on UAL metal.

My question is about upgrading. If I save the $100+ by booking US Air, it doesn't sound like I will be able to use my UAL SWU's or Regionals or even 500 mile upgrades until I check-in at the airport... even though it's on UAL metal.

Has anyone successfully upgraded in advance in this situation? Tips/tricks?

Thanks!

Ken
Old Aug 3, 2004, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tried to upgrade an itinerary exactly like this over the weekend. No dice. Even with good looks, a sense of humor, and 1K status all of my attempts failed. (then again, there probably is a way to do this that I am unaware of)

For me, sitting in an exit row, was worth the $230 I saved.
Old Aug 3, 2004, 8:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
OH dear I have the same problem coming up. I have a UA/Air Canada code share
Old Aug 3, 2004, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by why fly
OH dear I have the same problem coming up. I have a UA/Air Canada code share
A problem with the same "good looks" and "sense of humor"?
Old Aug 3, 2004, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
I did the same thing July4th. After much research and dilberation heres the story...

1. Technically to upgrade you MUST buy USAir paper upgrade certs. The certs are discounted for 1K.

2. I went to the UA gates (you many only request upgrades 2 hours before departure) and asked if upgrade space was available....It was the agent took certs out of my UA electronic bank.

3. Did the same on the return. Now I'm suck with $300 worth of US upgrades for nothing. I truly believe had I explained to the UA agent that I should be using the US certs it would have caused more of a problem. This is a classic example of no comminication to staff. The US agent that sold them had no clue and I had to show her the page I printed from UA website. If you look its there explaining the rules. I'd suggest you print it and carry it with you.

GOOD LUCK to all.
Old Aug 3, 2004, 9:44 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
reading other threads here on this topic - my understanding - and please correct me if I've misread the other info - is that US TICKETS w/ US TICKET NUMBERS on UA metal can be upgraded at the gate w/ UAL upgrades. Some posters have reported getting UAL CS to do the upgrades on the phone in advance but that's rare and not strictly policy.

What I haven't read is what the opposite situation is - US Metal and UA ticket numbers - but I do know for the AC poster - AC metal means no UAL UG's.
Old Aug 3, 2004, 11:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
coplatua1k, sounds like a UA agent told you the wrong information. US Airways upgrade certs can only be used to upgrade flights flown on US metal, whether on a UA or US ticket. You'll be pretty disappointed with the level of service on US's first class...no linen or glass and limited meals compared to United. Maybe you can trade your paper US certs over on Coupon Connection?
Old Aug 4, 2004, 3:16 am

[QUOTE=wahooflyer]coplatua1k, US Airways upgrade certs can only be used to upgrade flights flown on US metal, whether on a UA or US ticket. QUOTE]

I don't think that's correct, having wondered about the same question recent and checking the UA website (sorry no link), the language says you MUST use US air upgrade certs for US flights, whether on US metal or UA metal. Meaning if you're on UA metal with a US ticket, you can upgrade, but with US upgrade certs.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by squeakr
reading other threads here on this topic - my understanding - and please correct me if I've misread the other info - is that US TICKETS w/ US TICKET NUMBERS on UA metal can be upgraded at the gate w/ UAL upgrades.
That's exactly correct (more specifically, only with UA 500-milers).

What I haven't read is what the opposite situation is - US Metal and UA ticket numbers - but I do know for the AC poster - AC metal means no UAL UG's.
UA ticket on US metal. Same thing. You can ugprade at the gate using US 500-milers. The milers must match the metal. If you x-purchase tickets, that limits (but does not exclude) your ability to upgrade to "at checkin or at the gate".

I also have no idea about AC/UA codeshares.

-David
Old Aug 4, 2004, 4:40 am

see also (when I asked before flying UA on US ticket)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109414

-David
Old Aug 4, 2004, 8:37 am

Programs: UA MM1K,AA EXP
Re:US upgrades

Funny. Last week, I flew PHL=SAN on US via an Expedia ticket. For the first few segments, I kept trying to use US upgrade(paper) coupons. No dice.
One was a 24 hour upgrade;one was a gate upgrade. Finally, in PHL, I was upgraded because I was a UA 1K. Agent didn't even want to look at my paper coupons and nothing came out of my UA account.

Guess I got lucky. We got served drinks after 2 hours at the gate and 3 hours on the runway before take off. Arrived in San 5-1/2 hrs late and spent the night there, since US seemed absolutely uninterested in missed connections at the SAN end.

I can't figure the US system out at all.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 2:11 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
wahooflyer describes what I have experienced first hand
as gold on both. The upgrade method and procedure are
governed by the metal flown.

Potreroflyr, can you provide to a link to where the website
gives this assertion? I'd like to tell the UA guys about it, because
as you describe it the website gives false or misleading info.

==

UA metal UA fl# UA FF - UA certificate/miles, u/g ahead of time
UA metal UA fl# US FF - paid u/g at airport, revenue to UA*
UA metal US fl# UA FF - UA certificate/miles, same-day u/g
UA metal US fl# US FF - paid u/g at airport, revenue to UA*

*claim is made that an accommodating agent may pull certs/miles
from the flyer's UA account, but I've not seen it done without the
FF number having to be changed

US metal UA fl# UA FF - paid u/g at airport, revenue to US
US metal UA fl# US FF - complimentary at-airport u/g
US metal US fl# UA FF - paid u/g at airport, revenue to US
US metal US fl# US FF - no prob
Old Aug 4, 2004, 3:12 pm
Community Director Emerita

violist, VERY helpful summary. I am flying my first UA flights booked as US numbers in September.

Do the flights typically post as the codeshare flight or as the metal flown on, once upgraded? Since I am flying UA metal with a US flight number, and I will upgrade with UA e-certs, which airline will I be shown as having flown?
Old Aug 4, 2004, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
The flights credit as US. Hence no credit towards the upgrades certs every 10k. Its very confusing to everyone. The best alliance is CO/NW. To bad NW is so bad.

And, yes US FC is disappointing.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
Based on my experience, elite status with UA is not sufficient to be able to use US e-upgrades on US metal unless travelling on a Y, B, U, or N coach fare. You must have elite status with US to use the upgrades on the discounted coach fares. (Note that A fares (discounted F) on US may be the same price or less than the top coach fares, so that US e-upgrades may not be useful unless you have US elite status.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.