Search

AA's airport minimum connection time table

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2004, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

AA's airport minimum connection time table

This table is now in the AA wiki where it's updated periodically

Last edited by hillrider; Sep 6, 2006 at 2:58 pm Reason: Updated with YHZ exception
Old Jul 28, 2004, 5:54 am

Excellent and extremely informative stuff that's hard to find elsewhere -- thanks, hillrider.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
All very interesting, but I can't make those .....

I've refused flights, changes to flights if I feel the connecting time doesn't work for me. I won't run between planes or allow myself to get aggravated. I know how long it takes this person to make connections and I go by that.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 8:36 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
hillrider, Thanks for that, good stuff!

And you certainly have an active (and likely accurate!) imagination.

Originally Posted by hillrider
DISCLAIMER: THE INFORMATION ON THIS POST IS MADE UP.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 9:11 am

Flighs arriving from Canada's buffer zone (all AA destinations) are considered domestic.
I would assume that doesn't include YHZ, which still doesn't have preclearance. That, in particular, means that the new YHZ-BOS flight arrives at Terminal E. (Whether or not that's better for connections than arriving at Amelia Earhardt I'll leave to your imagination...)

That also, of course, means that if you're travelling, say, PHL-BOS-YHZ the connection is really easy (just stay within the Earhardt), but YHZ-BOS-PHL is horrible (immigration, customs, bus all around the airport to get from E to B, through security (either main or Siberia), then another bus out to Earhardt).
Old Jul 28, 2004, 9:57 am

hillrider - good stuff! thanks for making all this available for all to see.

However, I doubt that it's humanly possibly to connect domestic-to domestic in JFK from gates 22-23 (T8) to the eagle terminal in T9 or to the far gates (48 and 49) in T9 in under 35 minutes, especially when T9 security is backed up. AA must be overly optimistic with this transition.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the table.

I have one question: Despite a 29 minute DD connection at ORD, the exceptions (in the footnotes) say no connection between flights 305 and 73 (which is 33 minutes).

Of course, 305 arrives from LGA at 8:22am and 73 departs for HNL at 8:55 am, so the likelihood of making that connection is slim anyway. But wouldn't there be lots of 30-45 minute connections (not widebody to all, as those are 40 minute minimums) that are also unreasonable and should also be excepted as well? Why is this one the only exception?
Old Jul 28, 2004, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by marlborobell
I would assume that doesn't include YHZ, which still doesn't have preclearance.
Thanks for the info; I'll update the table, as I was unaware of this (told you I made this stuff up!). BTW, YHZ is Halifax.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FWAAA
I have one question: Despite a 29 minute DD connection at ORD, the exceptions (in the footnotes) say no connection between flights 305 and 73 (which is 33 minutes). Of course, 305 arrives from LGA at 8:22am and 73 departs for HNL at 8:55 am, so the likelihood of making that connection is slim anyway. But wouldn't there be lots of 30-45 minute connections (not widebody to all, as those are 40 minute minimums) that are also unreasonable and should also be excepted as well? Why is this one the only exception?
This is a good question for AA. There are some relatively new exceptions for Hawaii at LAX and SJC (extra 10 minutes), so I'm assuming that they were having problems with those flights, which, I speculate, are filled with less-than-frequent travelers. Why at ORD they chose to specifically exclude that connection vs. a blanked increase by 10 minutes of the minimum the connection time to Hawaii (like they did in LAX and SJC) I don't know.

Last edited by hillrider; Jul 28, 2004 at 12:07 pm
Old Dec 7, 2004, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DISCLAIMER: THE INFORMATION ON THIS POST IS MADE UP.
So is this information real or not?

Is 1:50 enough time to make it from T3 to T1 AA-> BA connection with checked bags?
Old Dec 7, 2004, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The info is real.

I'm assuming that hillrider added the disclaimer to avoid any claims along the lines of "I missed my connection and it's all your fault!"

1:50 will be enough time, especially since you don't have to clear Immigration and customs at LHR (like you would in our own backward country on a transit). The Brits haven't adopted all of our lunacy yet.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 9:09 pm
SST

Let me add one that I am, unhappily, bitten by day-after-tomorrow: NRT has a connection time of 2:45, which strikes me as the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen, especially if you have no checked luggage.

This baloney has forced me to Haneda airport, a couple-hour journey (at least, since the SJC flight arrives at NRT at Tokyo's rush hour) from NRT, in order to connect. Then, I've got to sit for 2 more hours until my connection. There was, of course, a perfectly acceptable NRT-departing flight 2 hours after arrival, but NO-OOOO. And it's the last departure of the night.

Steaming,

SST
Old Dec 7, 2004, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by SST
Let me add one that I am, unhappily, bitten by day-after-tomorrow: NRT has a connection time of 2:45, which strikes me as the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen, especially if you have no checked luggage.
I don't think that's the case, AA to JL connections with 75 minutes in NRT is allowable.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by SST
This baloney has forced me to Haneda airport, a couple-hour journey (at least, since the SJC flight arrives at NRT at Tokyo's rush hour) from NRT, in order to connect. Then, I've got to sit for 2 more hours until my connection. There was, of course, a perfectly acceptable NRT-departing flight 2 hours after arrival, but NO-OOOO. And it's the last departure of the night.
I ran into that situation a few months ago (not on AA, though; it was from an NW SFO-NRT connecting to an ANA flight to Osaka). I was forced to buy the ticket with the Haneda shuffle, but, since my flight was on time and the immigration line was reasonable, I just went to the ANA domestic counter at NRT and they were happy to put me on the flight I originally wanted. They even op-upped me.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 10:13 pm
SST

Hmmmmm. I'll ask at the transfer desk if it's not too crowded (last time I was in NRt, it was a zoo). My guess is with usual Japanese efficiency, I'll be told no, my ticket is for Haneda.......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.