MR checklist?

Old Jul 27, 2004, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
MR checklist?

Do any of you MR veterans (or quickstudy newer members) have a MR checklist that you check off as you are booking a MR? I'm pretty new here to FT and between reading the MR stickies plus other MR posts, it is evident that there are a LOT of things to try to consider and juggle when trying to get the optimal MR booked. Juggling it all to get the perfect result is, I am convinced, an art that must come with practice. But I am hoping to learn the science of it.
By definition, I think we (FT'ers) are all either cheap or inordinately excited by getting the BEST DEAL possible (which often translates back to "cheap"). Or opportunists, I suppose.
Henceforth, we all strive to arrive at the most optimal MR possible in terms of fare, miles accrued, status earned, promotions used, compensation earned, etc. We search ITA or the like to find the best fare and route, we search ITN or bumptracker to find seat availability and the best possible way to get a bump (so we can get another voucher for free travel), we find any and all applicable discount fare codes for our preferred airlines before booking, we find and sign up for all applicable promotions relevent to our travel itinerary through airlines, we make sure we have the right inventory (fare basis?) code to maximize how many miles we earn, etc.
Those of you who are experts at MRs, is there a checklist (mental if not on paper) that you go through when you book a trip to make sure you have absolutely maximized your trip to its full extent? If so, could you please share this with us? I want to know everything I should cover when making my next MR which I hope to make in the next week or two.
Thanks!
Old Jul 27, 2004, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm interested in what others have to say about this too - I'm not a guru or anything like that, but I've got a mental list that I go over before I consider a Mileage Run - in no particular order:

1) Can I do it so the EQM cost is around 2 cents?

2) Will this MR be the most cost effective way for me to get the miles that I want or need? (i.e. should I book one now, or should I wait and see if fares get even lower in a few months? Unless it's an amazing deal, like a lot of the ones found here, I'll probably wait if I know that NW's going to roll out a big promo like FFF4 or if UA's going to offer double EQM's for 100 bucks)

3) Will I have to overnight (I've only booked one run where I haven't overnighted - but it'll be a day in PHX in September - 18.5K total US miles for 200 bucks - this run wasn't for EQMs, but seemed like the cheapest way to top off my account to a usable level)? What will the cost be - airport bench or hotel? For example, if I went to NY on a run, I wouldn't want to have a long overnight because I'm sure the cost of a hotel would be way more than I'd want to pay, but if I could do a quick turnaround on a redeye, I wouldn't mind as much. If I do need a hotel, I see if any of my friends want to go to drop the cost down.

4) Is it somewhere I'd be interested in going if I have to overnight? Not that I'm picky about where I go, but if I have to spend the night, I'd rather do something than just sit in a hotel & watch TV.

5) In terms of routing, are all the connections doable within the enough time? Would this particular run which happens to connect in, for example, MSP & ANC & SEA probably be a better idea to schedule for the summer instead of the winter given the uncertainty of weather (I've had weather delays on a MR before & I lost out on 2 connections because the next available flight back home was direct from MSP)

6) Will someone be able to watch my dog?

7) I check Webflyer's Bonus Promotions page.

8) I ask on FT if I've got the best possible routing & hope that someone smarter than me replies. (And they do - thanks, guys!)

9) I ask myself - is this REALLY worth the money I'm about to spend? And sometimes, even on a good fare, it's not.

10) As for bumps, I have certain airports & times that I feel lucky on, so I try to route through at those times - and thanks to a tip from Viajero Joven, I carry a list of alternative flights with me.

11) I try to make sure I'm on the right airline's metal (as a NW elite, there are times that I wouldn't want to do a transcon on CO metal if I was only getting 50% of the EQMs - on DL metal, I get the EQMs, but not the upgrade possibility).

12) I try to get on bigger planes if possible - more opportunities for bumps & FC upgrades.

13) I remember that to err is human & misconnects & weather happens, so I make sure I relax - I'll always get home eventually & worse case scenario, I use another day of vacation.

14) I make sure my iPod mini (thanks, FT) is fully charged & I have fun.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
6) Will someone be able to watch my dog?
Hey, Samir - I'll watch yours if you'll watch mine. -G
Old Jul 29, 2004, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gleff
Hey, Samir - I'll watch yours if you'll watch mine. -G
Deal!
Old Jul 29, 2004, 7:50 pm

I can only think of couple of more things:

- Order a few movies from Netflix to watch on my laptop
- Always carry my inflatable neck pillow
Old Jul 30, 2004, 2:46 pm
NNH

Location: LA, after growing up in London and living all over Europe
Programs: Ex-BD, ex-NW, ex-AA, BA Gold
I agree with Jiffy about the pillow. I also like to carry a couple of small bottles of water for those moments when rehydration is urgent and you're in one of those airports that doesn't seem to have water fountains you'd trust to drink from.
Old Jul 30, 2004, 4:31 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Originally Posted by Jiffy
I can only think of couple of more things:

- Order a few movies from Netflix to watch on my laptop
- Always carry my inflatable neck pillow
Bring an extra battery for the laptop.
Old Jul 30, 2004, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BLI-Flyer
Bring an extra battery for the laptop.
A lot of people here would consider that to just be extra weight. Instead, bring your charger, charge it up between flights & if you're going internationally, carry the plug adapter for the country you're going to - most laptop chargers have inverters built in (as do most portable DVD players & digital cameras) so you just need the plug adapter.

See this thread - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=277896 - for more on a long MR checklist.

I think the OP was referring to what goes into planning a MR, not necessarily what goes into the carry-on for the MR.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.