Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Exclamation Driving Directions from Hawai‘i's Airports to Popular Resort Areas

This thread contains the following driving directions:
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

Since so many of you drive cars while in the islands, I thought it might be best to have a few directions from Hawai‘i's Airports to Popular (Resort) Areas that may help you plan your trip in advance. Of course, maps will be provided with your rental and sites like www.mapquest.com help as well, but it's always nice to have such a reference on Flyertalk. Many of these driving directions were referenced using a free publication called "The Aloha Maps of Hawai‘i," which can be found at all of Hawai‘i's airport. I, of course, made sure to put in a lot from a local's perspective as well. www.driveguidemagazines.com/hawaiimaps.html is also another great resource. Print maps off this website to be akamai and set when arriving in Hawai‘i.

Driving from Līhu‘e Airport (Kaua‘i) to Po‘ipū and Princeville

From Līhu‘e Airport to Po‘ipū (approx. driving time, 30 minutes) (click for Google Map):
  1. Exit the airport by proceeding onto Ahukini Road.
  2. Take a left onto Kūhiō Highway.
  3. Follow Kūhiō Highway until it merges with Kaumuali‘i Highway. Merge right onto Kaumuali‘i Highway.
  4. It will be quite a drive on Kaumuali‘i Highway until getting to Maluhia Road (the main road into Po‘ipū ). Signs will direct you to Maluhia Road as you get closer to Po‘ipū. Take a left onto Maluhia Road. Maluhia Road has places where it looks as if you're driving through a "Tree Tunnel".
  5. Turn right onto Kōloa Road.
  6. Take a left onto Po‘ipū Road. Po‘ipū will come into sight about two miles down on Po‘ipū Road.
(The following resorts are located in Po‘ipū: Sheraton Kaua‘i Resort, Embassy Vacation Resort Po‘ipū Point (timeshare), Aston at Po‘ipū Kai, Hyatt Regency Kaua‘i Resort & Spa)

From Līhu‘e Airport to Princeville (approx. driving time, 1 hour) (click for Google Map):
  1. When exiting the airport, take a right onto Kapule Highway.
  2. You'll notice that Kapule Highway merges with Kūhiō Highway.
  3. It's a pretty long drive on Kūhiō Highway until you reach Princeville. Enjoy the sights and take a stop at the lighthouse along the way.
(The Princeville Resort Kaua‘i is located in Princeville)

Driving from Honolulu International Airport to Waikīkī, North Shore and Kō ‘Olina

From Honolulu International Airport to Waikīkī via the freeway, H-1 (approx. driving time, varies on traffic and route) (click for Google Map):
  1. Exit airport by using the on-ramp to freeway. Switch over to the right lane as you proceed on the on-ramp.
  2. Move into the farthest left-most lane on the freeway (not the HOV lane)and remain in that lane until passing the orange-lit tunnel.
  3. Merge left following the tunnel into one of the three lanes of H-1 traffic.
  4. Remain on the freeway until the Punahou St. exit (off-ramp exit #23), which is six miles from the airport. On the off-ramp get into the right most lane.
  5. At Punahou St. (the light immediately following the off-ramp) you will make a right turn.
  6. Move into the second lane from the right.
  7. At the next light, take a right onto Beretania Street.
  8. Move into one of the two left lanes.
  9. Take a left onto Kalākaua Avenue.
  10. Kalākaua Avenue will take you straight into Waikīkī. To get to the HHV, take another right onto Ala Moana Blvd. The HHV will appear in front of you. Take a left onto Kālia Road for the main entrance.

From Honolulu International Airport to Hale‘iwa, the North Shore (approx. driving time, 40 minutes)
(click for Google Map):
  1. Exit airport by using the on-ramp to freeway. Remain in the left lane as you proceed on the on-ramp.
  2. Proceed all the way to where the H-1 will split into the H-1 and H-2. Make sure you're headed towards Mililani, Wahiawā (the H-2, towards the mountains, RIGHT when looking at the fork) and NOT ‘Ewa Beach, Wai‘anae (the H-1) as you proceed past the fork.
  3. Take the freeway (H-2) until it becomes Kamehameha Highway.
  4. Turn left when arriving into Hale‘iwa Town to continue onto Highway 83.
  5. Highway 83 will take you to Waimea Bay, Turtle Bay, etc.

From Honolulu International Airport to Waikīkī via Nimitz Highway/Ala Moana Blvd. (approx. driving time, varies on traffic and route) (click for Google Map):
  1. Exit airport by using the on-ramp to freeway. Switch over to the right lane as you proceed on the on-ramp.
  2. Move into the farthest right-most lane on the freeway.
  3. Exit the freeway at Exit 18A which is Nimitz Highway. Continue on Nimitz Highway until it becomes Ala Moana Blvd. It will be a drive filled with many stoplights but is considered the more scenic route to Waikīkī. Aloha Tower Marketplace, Ala Moana Shopping Center, Ala Moana Beach Park are all along the way. Costco is also along the way.

From Honolulu International Airport to Kō ‘Olina (approx. driving time, 40 minutes) (click for Google Map):
  1. Exit airport by using the on-ramp to freeway. Remain in the left lane as you proceed on the on-ramp.
  2. Proceed all the way to where the H-1 will split into the H-1 and H-2. Make sure you're headed towards ‘Ewa Beach/Wai‘anae (the H-1, towards the ocean, LEFT when looking at the fork) and NOT Mililani/Wahiawā (the H-2) as you proceed past the fork.
  3. Take the freeway (H-1) all the way to Kō ‘Olina (the freeway will end and will become Farrington Highway.
  4. Remain in the right lane and take the Kō ‘Olina off-ramp.

Driving from Kahului Airport (Maui) to Kīhei/Wailea/Mākena, Lāhaina/Kā‘anapali/Kapalua

From Kahului Airport to Kīhei/Wailea/Mākena (approx. driving time, 30 minutes to Kīhei, 40 minutes to Wailea, 50 minutes to Mākena) (click for Google Map):
  1. Exit airport onto Keolani Place. Costco will be on the left as you drive on Keolani Place onto Dairy Road.
  2. Proceed past the stoplight onto Dairy Road.
  3. Take a left onto Pu‘unēnē Ave.
  4. Pu‘unēnē Ave will become Mokulele Highway. You'll end up driving by the old Sugar Mill.
  5. Continue driving on Mokulele Highway until hitting Pi‘ilani Highway. Take a left onto Pi‘ilani Highway.
    Mokulele Highway now becomes Pi'ilani Highway.
  6. Pi‘ilani Highway will take you to Kīhei, Wailea and Mākena. Follow the signs to get to your destination. Mākena will take some driving past Wailea, but isn't too difficult to find if you follow all the right signs.
(The following resorts are located in Kīhei: Maui Lu Resort, Maui Coast Hotel)
(The following resorts are located in Wailea: Maluhia at Wailea, Renaissance Wailea Beach Resort, Wailea Marriott (an Outrigger Resort), Grand Wailea Resort & Spa, Four Seasons Resort, The Fairmont Kea Lani)
(The following resorts are located in Mākena: Maui Price Hotel Mākena Resort)

From Kahului Airport to Lāhaina/Kā‘anapali/Kapalua (approx. driving time, 45 minutes to Lāhaina, 50 minutes to Kā‘anapali, 60 minutes to Kapalua) (click for Google Map):
  1. Exit airport onto Keolani Place. Costco will be on the left as you drive on Keolani Place onto Dairy Road.
  2. Proceed past the stoplight onto Dairy Road.
  3. Continue past Pu‘unēnē Ave where you'll end up on Kūihelani Highway. Drive down Kūihelani Highway until ending up at Honoapi‘ilani Highway.
  4. Take a left onto Honoapi‘ilani Highway. Continue a long, but VERY scenic drive to get to Lāhaina/Kā‘anapali/Kapalua. The Maui Ocean Center is also not far down Honoapi‘ilani Highway after taking the left from Kūihelani Highway.
(The following resorts are located in Lāhaina: Lāhaina Shores Beach Resort, Pioneer Inn, Ohana Maui Islander, Lāhaina Inn, Puunoa Beach Estates)
(The following resorts are located in Kā‘anapali: Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa, Maui Marriott Resort, The Westin Maui, Kā‘anapali Beach Hotel, Sheraton Maui Hotel, Royal Lāhaina Resort, Embassy Vacation Resort)
(The following resorts are located in Kapalua: Mauian Hotel, Napili Kai Beach Resort, Kapalua Bay Hotels & Villas, The Ritz-Carlton)

Driving from Kona Airport at Keāhole (The Big Island) to Kailua-Kona and the Kohala Coast

From Kona Airport at Keāhole to Kailua-Kona (approx. driving time, 15 minutes) (click for Google Map):
  1. Exit airport and take a right onto Queen Ka‘ahumanu Highway.
  2. Proceed straight into Kailua-Kona.
(The following resorts are located in Kailua-Kona: King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel, Kona Seaside Hotel, Uncle Billy's Kona Bay Hotel, Royal Kona Resort, Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort & Spa)

From Kona Airport at Keāhole to the Kohala Coast (approx. driving time, depends on hotel/destination) (click for Google Map):
  1. Exit airport and take a left onto Queen Ka‘ahumanu Highway.
  2. Proceed straight thru the Kohala Coast and watch for signs leading to your hotel. Following this route would be the most efficient way to Hilo.
(The following resorts are located on the Kohala Coastline: Four Seasons Resort Hualālai, Kona Village Resort, Waikoloa Beach Marriott, Hilton Waikoloa Village, Mauna Lani Resort, Fairmont Orchid, Hāpuna Beach Hotel, Mauna Kea Beach Hotel)

Driving from Hilo International Airport (The Big Island) to Volcanoes National Park

(Approx. driving time, 45 minutes) (click for Google Map)
  1. Exit airport and take a left onto Kanoelehua Avenue (first light).
  2. Proceed straight on highway (11) until reaching Volcano. You'll pass the Nani Maui Gardens, Kea‘au, Kurtistown and Mountain View along the way

Drive With ALOHA

Pōmaika`i (Good luck)!

aloha

Many Hawaiian words here are spelled in their correct form with the correct ‘okina and kahakō. For more information, please visit the Hawaiian Dictionaries website.

Last edited by slippahs; May 3, 2009 at 6:55 pm
Old Jul 24, 2004, 5:00 am

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
This is wonderful for the people that do drive. You are so on the ball Slippah's. What will you do next? Will you have people all checked into their rooms by the time they arrive?
Old Jul 24, 2004, 6:58 am

Programs: No More Loyalty
Thank you, slippahs. Will be making my first visit next February/March (I hope), so this info is very helpful! Regardless of all of the spelling errors.
Old Jul 24, 2004, 8:14 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I dunno about you, slippahs, but all I know how to do is make left turns. Every time I try to turn right, I end up in the ocean.

Poor Chuck! I hope he learns in time.
Old Jul 24, 2004, 11:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
Thanks Slippahs. I'm relatively new to FT, but have found so much valuable information on this site. Mrs. Dukeman and I are headed to Hawaii in a few weeks -- 4 nights in Kona and 5 in Maui (staying at the FS on both islands). I've enjoyed all of your posts and have made many notes for our trip. These driving directions will come in very handy after our long day flying from the East Coast. Although we are loyal US customers (we live near PHL) -- we are driving to BWI and flying NW. We got F tickets for the same price as Y from PHL. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and obvious love for Hawaii.
Old Jul 24, 2004, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Sirecca
Regardless of all of the spelling errors.
I did type this up pretty quickly last night. If you can point out any spelling errors that would be greatly appreciated.

aloha
Old Jul 24, 2004, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
I found the spelling to be perfect. If it is not correct, then perhaps I need to go back to elementary school.
Old Jul 24, 2004, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by svenskaflicka
I found the spelling to be perfect. If it is not correct, then perhaps I need to go back to elementary school.
Mahalo Nui Loa, svenskaflicka.

I did catch one spelling mistake and that was spelling Princeville as Priceville. Perhaps it should be called Priceville instead....

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Poor Chuck! I hope he learns in time.

aloha
Old Jul 24, 2004, 4:23 pm

Programs: No More Loyalty
Originally Posted by slippahs
I did type this up pretty quickly last night. If you can point out any spelling errors that would be greatly appreciated.
Please excuse my dry sense of humor. I was referring to your continuing (and appreciated!) efforts to educate mainlanders by using the correct, local spelling of many Hawaiian words.
Old Jul 24, 2004, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Sirecca
Please excuse my dry sense of humor. I was referring to your continuing (and appreciated!) efforts to educate mainlanders by using the correct, local spelling of many Hawaiian words.
Ah, my apologies.

aloha
Old Jul 26, 2004, 5:06 pm

Thanks, I'll be driving from LIH to Poipu this friday night. Glad to have the directions.
Old Jul 26, 2004, 5:23 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
slippahs, how about adding HNL to the North Shore (Turtle Bay and the proposed hotel the LDS is building in La'ie)?
Old Jul 28, 2004, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
slippahs, how about adding HNL to the North Shore (Turtle Bay and the proposed hotel the LDS is building in La'ie)?
Mahalo FH. Consider it done.

aloha
Old Mar 23, 2009, 3:19 pm

I know this thread is old, but still wanted to drop a word of thanks anyways.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 9:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Don't know why I've never seen this before (well, I know why - it's been buried). It would be very useful if people knew about it. My suggestion would be a sticky.

Further, the Līhu‘e Airport information could use an update. The Aston is now Resort Quest, the Hyatt Regency is the Grand Hyatt Kaua‘i and the Princeville Resort is now the St. Regis Princeville (opening July, 2009).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.