Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Jakarta REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Grand Hyatt Jakarta REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jul 23, 2004, 4:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM FB plat / Hertz Pres Circle / AB EB Gold
Question Grand Hyatt Jakarta REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Any review or experiences about the executives suites at Grand Hyatt Jakarta ? I am planning to reserve one, but the rate is quite high and would like to know whether it is worth it.

On the webpage of GH Jakarta , there is not much about it. no description, no photos.

Anyone want to share it's walk-up rates for the GH Jakarta, because I think the rate through Hyatt Res is quite high for Jakarta Standards.

The Four Seasons (ex Regent) is 40% cheaper ! should I change ?

Ben, GP DIAM
Old Feb 14, 2005, 8:37 pm

Grand Hyatt Jakarta

Checked in yesterday. This is the only hotel I have ever been to, where upon entering, one must pass a metal detector.

Got upgraded to a Club floor - the room is newly renovated. Decor is very Hyatt, quite nice. The Club is beautifully appointed, but not as nice as the one in GH Singapore.

The one truly outstanding feature is the gym. I have never seen a health club as beautiful as this one. Everything about it is top-notch - I heard they charge US$10,000 fee just to join. Ouch. It is, however, a superb gym!!! To boot, the club manager, Thomas, is one hunky of a guy!

Overall, a great stay.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 10:33 am

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by broadwayboy
Checked in yesterday. This is the only hotel I have ever been to, where upon entering, one must pass a metal detector.
This is standard procedure at most five star hotels in Jakarta... vehicles also are typically inspected upon entering the vehicle driveway, but before pulling up to hotel lobbies.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA MM, DL DM
The metal detector is there for a reason - you are staying in one of the top ten targets in Jakarta, and probably the second hotel on that list after the JW Marriott.

JI historically doesn't do walk-ins though (the initial suicide vest attack before the vehicle bomb in the Bali attack being the only exception that springs to mind). But don't let the guards and the metal gate at the entry drive give you a false sense of security, take a look at the exit driveway - no guard, no gate - just a do not enter sign.

That said, if it weren't about twice as expensive as a lot of very nice four star hotels in Jakarta, I would stay at the GH without thinking twice about it.

If you want Hyatt at a lower price, the Aryaduta is run by Hyatt and is a nice place if you are in one of the recently renovated rooms. The downside is that the noise from the rooms currently being renovated will get you off to an early start on weekends and it is not attached to Plaza Indonesia as is the GH (which is handy for long stays as it gives you lots of dining options).

Have fun - I'll be back to Jakarta soon, but probably staying on the other side of the circle at the Mandarin.

TJ
Old Feb 22, 2005, 6:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt GP,HHonors,Priority Club,NW Worldperks,SQ,CX
Originally Posted by TJQuill
If you want Hyatt at a lower price, the Aryaduta is run by Hyatt and is a nice place if you are in one of the recently renovated rooms. The downside is that the noise from the rooms currently being renovated will get you off to an early start on weekends and it is not attached to Plaza Indonesia as is the GH (which is handy for long stays as it gives you lots of dining options).

Totally agree. The Aryaduta's newly renovated rooms are quite a nice change. Totally modern. The facade, unfortunately, I think its something that they can't change...its does do any justice to the new rooms.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 8:49 pm

Overall though, the Duta is a nice choice. Very nice staff, restaurants are pretty good, and depending on which band is booked the Tavern can get sort of lively if a bit full of chickens (not a place to go every night, but not a bad way to kill a rainy night).

Only real downside is that the only thing it is convenient to is the US Embassy - not much else in that part of town.

The Oasis Restaurant is a short cab drive away and is worth doing once for the spectacle of having a dozen waitresses come out at once with all the courses of your meal.

TJ
Old Feb 28, 2005, 6:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt GP,HHonors,Priority Club,NW Worldperks,SQ,CX
Chickens

Originally Posted by TJQuill
Overall though, the Duta is a nice choice. Very nice staff, restaurants are pretty good, and depending on which band is booked the Tavern can get sort of lively if a bit full of chickens (not a place to go every night, but not a bad way to kill a rainy night).

TJ
Old Jul 14, 2007, 9:04 am

Just finished a 2 nite stay at the Grand Hyatt Jakarta, was upgraded to the Premier suite. It was very nice, with a impressive jacuzzi tub, and all the complimentary fruits and chocolate from the C restaurant.

The club lounge is also very cozy, and from the suite, you can take a nice stair down to the lounge. The food was pretty good too, though not as impressive as GH Hong Kong, but good enough for me as dinner.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K;
I am going to be in Jakarta for about 7 days in late January.
There really is a big difference in the rates between the Aryaduta and the GH.

How about the location of the two? What is the immediate area like?
Old Sep 24, 2007, 3:05 pm

Without doubt the GH Jakarta is not only the best of the two but it also wins in terms of location. I am aware that there is a big difference in price (in my case my organization has a corporate rate of $65 vs $120), but the difference is well worth it.

Both hotels have an RC/GC - but the service and offerings at the GH are far superior.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 8:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, Hertz Platinum
I have spent many days at the GH Jakarta. By far one of the best hotels for the $$. I highly recommend if you need to get around Jakarta to hire a private driver. Gold Bird service is offered at the hotel. Last time i was there it was $25USD per hour to be driven around in a Mercedes E class. The beds and overall accommodations are outstanding!

In that immediate location you will find 2 malls Plaza Indonesia & EX connected to the GH hotel. The Japanese Embassy, Hotel Nikko and Mandrin Oriental both across the street. Next to GH is the oldest Hotel in Jakarta that is being rebuilt, also there is another new multi story mall behind GH.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K;
Originally Posted by zxsuxr
I have spent many days at the GH Jakarta. By far one of the best hotels for the $$. I highly recommend if you need to get around Jakarta to hire a private driver. Gold Bird service is offered at the hotel. Last time i was there it was $25USD per hour to be driven around in a Mercedes E class. The beds and overall accommodations are outstanding!

In that immediate location you will find 2 malls Plaza Indonesia & EX connected to the GH hotel. The Japanese Embassy, Hotel Nikko and Mandrin Oriental both across the street. Next to GH is the oldest Hotel in Jakarta that is being rebuilt, also there is another new multi story mall behind GH.
Thanks for the update (Bondiboy also).
Now I just have to find out how to get the "local" rate.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 10:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by grayland
Thanks for the update (Bondiboy also).
Now I just have to find out how to get the "local" rate.
Where are you from? Its usually pretty hard to get a "local rate" unless you have the KITAS resident card. Local rates i have heard are under $100 USD. I can contact my sales person to "possibly" give you a corporate rate if you are interested.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 5:34 am

The 2 hotels are actually not very far from one another, within a 10 mins drive IF there is smooth traffic. However, in Jakarta, traffic is really a big problem. So, depending on where is your meetings, you might want to choose one over the other.

Arydaduta is definitely much older, but the club floor has been renovated, and is actually nicer than Grand Hyatt in terms of interior decor (though the room is much smaller than Grand Hyatt). The club floor offerings at Aryaduta is, however, not very exciting as compared to Grand club.

Also, if you don't smoke, usually getting a non-smoking room at Aryaduta can be quite challenging. Even though you are put on a non-smoking floor, your room might still reek of smoke. No problem with Grand Hyatt.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 9:29 pm

I have spent about 200 nights at the Aryaduta and around 60 nights at the GH. In this case, you do get what you pay for.

Immediate area in Jakarta generally doesn't matter because you don't walk anywhere -- even to something just a few hundred yards away you will generally take a taxi. GH is a nice exception to that because it is connected to Plaza Indonesia and EXcenter -- lots of restaurants, shops, etc.... A new mall was just coming online across the street when I was there last and should be fully up to speed by now. Any other hotel in Jakarta will require a taxi ride to go anywhere.

They are ten minutes apart without traffic, but in Jakarta there is almost always traffic. It would generally figure 30 minutes.

If you are working at the US Embassy, the 'duta will be perfect for commuting. If you are working anywhere further south, you would probably be better off at the GH.

The redone rooms at the 'duta are as nice as anything you will experience at the GH, but the comparisons end there.

Both have nice pools, GH is better.

GH has a fantastic gym, duta has a gym.

Both have good restaurants, GH restaurants are pricier.

GH is a premier hotel -- certainly one of the top three or four in the city. Even after its remodel, the 'duta is still second tier in the minds of the locals.

Particularly if you haven't been to Jakarta before, I would recommend the GH. It just makes the trip a lot easier to have everything just a short, air-conditioned walk away instead of a taxi ride through the chaos.

TJ

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.