Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So you want an upgrade?? Read on....

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2003, 2:03 pm

Additionally, even if the upgrades have been pre-done for Golds/Silvers, you can muff your chances 'cos we can always put NSFU against you if you've the wrong attitude! I've only done this a couple of times but Jeans, T-shirt and sneakers is a definite no-no with me, even if you're Royalty!

(You pay for First, you wear what you like - you want upgrading to First, you dress appropriately!)

It has also been known for upgrades to be bumped back down at the gate because it was felt the manners and dress code would not be "appropriate" for business class!
Old Jan 20, 2003, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bealine:
Additionally, even if the upgrades have been pre-done for Golds/Silvers, you can muff your chances 'cos we can always put NSFU against you if you've the wrong attitude! I've only done this a couple of times but Jeans, T-shirt and sneakers is a definite no-no with me, even if you're Royalty!

(You pay for First, you wear what you like - you want upgrading to First, you dress appropriately!)

It has also been known for upgrades to be bumped back down at the gate because it was felt the manners and dress code would not be "appropriate" for business class!
</font>
I sincerely hope you're joking.

If I'm flying I want to be as comfortable as possible. That means jeans, trainers and a t-shirt/sweatshirt for me. With the distances you have to walk to get to a gate in LHR this is also more practical. What you're suggesting is that you would rather not upgrade someone who has elite status (and is thus a recurring source of income for your airline) in favour of someone for whom flying is still a novelty and has their best wedding/funeral suit on.

When I'm attending a business meeting yes I wear a suit and enjoy it. However, even if I'm flying to one, I try to travel in jeans and change on arrival to look as fresh as possible and avoid the "crumpled" look.

I agree with denying upgrades to people who are rude and have an attitude but knowing that the chances of an upgrade at BA depends on the fashion sensibilities of the GA makes me glad I use AA.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 5:24 pm

A copuple flights back,Iwas downgraded vo;untarily,from FC to CW,as Iwas flying stand by.While I am aware that I deserve no compensation,Iexpected a little more understanding when on my next flight ,two weeks later I requested an U from CW to FC.Was I so off base for asking?I was very polite,explained that Iwas aware that I deserved nothing and realized how lowly and unworthy Iwas.I gently explained my Gold status and kindly reminded them how they always announce how there are many airlines to choose from and arethankful etc..BTW El Al was wooing me for buisness on LHR- TLV route and I was treated royally.Please give your feedback.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by argent00:
A couple flights back,Iwas downgraded vo;untarily,from FC to CW,as Iwas flying stand by.While I am aware that I deserve no compensation,Iexpected a little more understanding when on my next flight ,two weeks later I requested an U from CW to FC.Was I so off base for asking?I was very polite,explained that Iwas aware that I deserved nothing and realized how lowly and unworthy Iwas.I gently explained my Gold status and kindly reminded them how they always announce how there are many airlines to choose from and arethankful etc..BTW El Al was wooing me for buisness on LHR- TLV route and I was treated royally.Please give your feedback.</font>
Argent, as BA probably have no way of knowing of your past upgrade I think they might have thought it was an excuse to get a free upgrade. As bealine and speedbird pointed out BA staff seem to be pretty immune to excuses...
Old Jan 20, 2003, 9:19 pm
Suspended

"5) BA will always look after its Prems/Golds/Silvers before even looking at the other One World cards."

This is the one that really gets my goat, as AA doesn't penalize BA elites in the same fashion.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 10:30 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by blueeyes_austin:
"5) BA will always look after its Prems/Golds/Silvers before even looking at the other One World cards."

This is the one that really gets my goat, as AA doesn't penalize BA elites in the same fashion.
</font>
Luckily it just isn't true. BA appears to play by the Oneworld rules and Emeralds have priority over BA Silver. I have BA Silver and QF Platinum; one upgrade on BA so far and it was due to my QF status (no BA Silvers made the cutoff). I made a point of asking as I had been considering putting the points into getting BA Gold, but apparently there is no need. My upgrade had occured before I arrived at the airport, if that makes any difference (maybe the at-gate upgrades are BA-status prejudiced).
Old Jan 20, 2003, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
You pay for First, you wear what you like - you want upgrading to First, you dress appropriately!)

</font>
Right on! Im tired of seeing slobs in FC. I wish BA and others could impose a mandatory dress code for all FC cabins paying or upgrade. However, I know that that wont happen in this "blue jeans are dress clothes" world.

------------------
God Bless America West and British Airways

HP - Platinum/975k miles
BA - Dirt/5k Soon to be Gold
NW - Dirt/10k Only using for emergency flights
UA - Dirt/19k miles
AA - 60k/Using to get BAEC Gold and 1/2MM status.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ByrdluvsAWACO:
Right on! Im tired of seeing slobs in FC. I wish BA and others could impose a mandatory dress code for all FC cabins paying or upgrade. However, I know that that wont happen in this "blue jeans are dress clothes" world.

</font>
As someone who has regularly paid over $7500 for a first ticket I don't care what I wear and don't care what others think of me. I dress casually but have travelled in jeans on Concorde (paid ticket) and worn shorts on CX first (paid ticket). A dress code in a cabin costing between $5000 and $10k is absurd and will of course never happen.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by argent00:
A copuple flights back,Iwas downgraded vo;untarily,from FC to CW,as Iwas flying stand by.While I am aware that I deserve no compensation,Iexpected a little more understanding when on my next flight ,two weeks later I requested an U from CW to FC.Was I so off base for asking?I was very polite,explained that Iwas aware that I deserved nothing and realized how lowly and unworthy Iwas.I gently explained my Gold status and kindly reminded them how they always announce how there are many airlines to choose from and arethankful etc..BTW El Al was wooing me for buisness on LHR- TLV route and I was treated royally.Please give your feedback.</font>
The current BA check-in system, holds no form of pax history. So an agent would not know if you were an invol F-J from the previous week.

BA are looking at a new check-in system, which might be able to handle this kind of thing. So an upgrade commment would go against your name. How far this is away from implementation I do not know.

As an agent, as I have said in a previous posts, you will here every reason under the sun why a pax needs/deserves an upgrade. I remember that something like 7 out of every 10 pax I would check in, would mention the U word.

When a flight is not busy, and BA are not looking for upgrades to clear an oversell. Then the agent has no power to get you moved up a class.

Having re-read the original post

Having said all that, you said that you were on the stand-by list for F. So either you bought a ticket close to departure date, when F was already oversold,so you should have been told that you might not get F, or you moved your flight date, and in that case would have told you there was a good chance of not getting F, as it was already oversold.

So the question springs to mind why should BA upgrade you on your next flight? You were on the stand-by list. I assume you only paid the CW fare.

From my perspective (please note I no longer work for BA), this would be like going into a bar, asking for a Vodka, the barman says sorry we are out of stock, you saying ok I'll take a beer. Next week you go in to the bar buy a beer, and then are disappointed when the barman hands over a beer, you wouldn't expect a Vodka in this situation??? Would you??

Sorry for the "Janet and John" example. This is my personal view on your case.

No doubt alot of you, will disagree with my view.

rgds

PS. Below is the cut paragraph, this would apply for a confirmed in F, invol downgrade to J pax. Had not read carefully enough the original post!

****Your example, highlights one of the problems in BA, the lack of communication between various different departments. In an ideal world, the Exec club should have been alerted that you were an invol from your last flight, and then made sure, that on your next flight you were looked after.***

[This message has been edited by speedbird2018 (edited 01-20-2003).]

[This message has been edited by speedbird2018 (edited 01-21-2003).]
Old Jan 20, 2003, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Don't we all wish for the days when upgrades were never asked for? Now there are articles published on how to do it!

I applaud airlines like SQ that has very strict upgrade policies. Basically it (U) happens a lot less on SQ than it does on BA! When I flew on a few SQ flights lately, while economy was chock block full, Business was relatively heavy and First was just two including me. I have to say that it was nice not to sit next to someone who paid 90% less than I did.

Bring out the next bottle of Kruggie, please.

[This message has been edited by Guy Betsy (edited 01-20-2003).]
Old Jan 21, 2003, 12:08 am

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Which is why i cant travel with Guy Betsy
Old Jan 21, 2003, 2:42 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Guy Betsy....I hope you don't mind if I sit next to you/near you, as I'm on a 'free' ticket. I'll be the one with the nice crisp white shirt and designer tie.
Old Jan 21, 2003, 2:50 am

quote: BA will always look after its Prems/Golds/Silvers before even looking at the other One World cards."

Really? I've yet to see a BA Gold/Silver member upgraded on American!!!
Old Jan 21, 2003, 3:19 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ByrdluvsAWACO:

</font>
Am afriad that I am normally the one in my PJs and curled up asleep (especially on anything that vaguely ressembles a night/twilight flight) in Business/Upper Class (haven't had the joy of flying first class) on long haul flights.

Comfort is my primary concern when flying (which is why I pay for business class) and I agree that I don't like arriving at the other end looking like I have been dragged through a bush backwards...

I don't wear jeans while flying business class either - normally lightwieght troussers and a smart t-shirt: business casual seems to work well. Still, can't get my husband out of blue jeans: his attitude is that he has paid to travel business class, so he will wear what he wants (although I make sure they are smart jeans with a nice rugby top or t-shirt - so he never looks scruffy).

Boo

Old Jan 21, 2003, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bealine:
quote:

Really? I've yet to see a BA Gold/Silver member upgraded on American!!!
</font>
Fantastic! I've always wanted to be the exception that proves the rule!

On a serious note, I think this debate proves that while there may be a 'policy' it gets interpreted very differently and there is plenty of scope for exceptions. I can think of 2 or 3 occsasions when I've been that exception on BA.

What's sad is that so many become obsessed with getting upgraded - and get very grasping about it. It should be a rare and unexpected treat, not an expectation. Finally, thanks for your insights bealine and speedbird - very much appreciated. Nice to get down to facts rather than conjecture!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.