Wiki Posts
Search

Tales from the back of the bus

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2002, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Tales from the back of the bus

Hi there,
I flew BA transatlantic last week. It was the first time on a BA long(ish) haul for about 4 years and it was LHR-BOS-LHR. I thought I'd compare it to my usual carrier (UA) and share it with you:

I always have to fly in Y unless I personally upgrade the tickets the company gets me. So these comments are all about the "back of the bus".

Check-in at LHR
I was travelling on the 7pm departure from LHR-BOS. The checkin queue was really short, there must have been less than 10 people ahead of me. The actual checkin was great entertainment. The luggage scale/loader was broken and would periodically shoot one of the bags off down the conveyer belt before the destination tags had been stuck onto the bag. The checkin agent would kick the emergency off switch, chase the bag down and bring it back. After about the 4th time she gave up and put the bags on the neighbouring checkin position. There were 4 of us travelling togther and we all enjoyed watching her running around - it was certainly a change from the usual routine.

The flight LHR-BOS
We got seats pretty much together on the 777. Seats 26 GHJ and 25G. Small problem: None of the in seat video monitors worked in row 26. We got a personal safety demonstration from a FA. My friend who was sitting in the aisle seat ended up being extremely close to the FA. He had a big grin on his face and I was having a hard time not laughing at the expression on his face.
[It's a family board so I won't type the details in of this incident but she was a well endowed lady...]

After take off and about 15 minutes of purile sexist jokes amongst ourselves, the FA came back and said that as it was completely full flight there were no alternative seats for us. She said that the purser had decided that each of us could have a free raid in the duty free cart up to a value of GBP 20 each. Would that be acceptable?
Would it? Woohoo! There's nothing like 2 bottles of vodka, a bottle of gin, a bottle of whisky and two bottles of Baileys to get a week's conference going.

The screen itself looked to be larger than the screens I'm used to on UA. I think it was a 6 inch screen compared to UA's 5 inch screens. I think it was a fairly new system.

The comfort of the seats was OK. The seat pitch was noticably less than UA's Economy+ where I usually fly. BA's seats also seem to recline a lot more. That puts the person in front of you right in your lap. Use a laptop? Forget it - I couldn't even read a book unless I reclined and held the book above my head.
This is definately the worst bit of the BA experience.

Food.
Well it was standard airline food. There was a full meal first. Choice of two dishes, both of which I forgot quickly. It wasn't bad but wasn't great. The pre-landing snack was a cheese and ham roll. It compares almost exactly to UA's offerings.

Service.
The "incident" with the FA before take off had put us all in a good frame of mind. However, generally the service on BA seemed a bit friendlier and more cheerful than I generally experience on UA.

Checkin at BOS on the way home.
We came back on the early morning flight. The checkin was quiet with only 2 people in from of us. It was all smooth and with none of the excitement of the way out!
Note: The international terminal in BOS really is an unpleasant place. Hope it gets better after they finish rebuilding it!

The flight, BOS-LHR
This was a 777 again. I think it was an older plane as the in seat screens were smaller - I think they were the same as UA's. They worked on the way back but I didn't fancy the films and watched the airmap most of the time.

Seat and service were the same as on the way out.

The food.
As it was a morning flight, they offered the choice of a full cooked breakfast or lunch chicken for the meal. I chose the breakfast and was amazed to find that it was pretty good. The pre-landing snack was a ham and cheese sandwich again.

Overall.
Both flights were on time and there were no real problems.

Who would I fly again?
BA seems to have nicer staff.
UA economy+ has much better seats.

I will probably book UA flights as the seat pitch and recline really bothered me. However, if UA doesn't make it, it's nice to know that BA isn't too bad.

Jason
Old Dec 9, 2002, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

20 quid for broken IFE?? ouch...
Old Dec 9, 2002, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had my first flight in WT+ 2 weeks ago after being in F and J since 1996, and I have to admit that the quality of W made me feel like a spoilt brat, J and F are great but for an 8 hour flight W is perfectly suitable. I don't like airline food and don't drink so a decent legroom and empower are all I need to keep me happy, considering I save over 2000 euros on that flight and that I'll be on it 2-3 times a month I think it's pretty safe to say I won't be in premium that much anymore... (that and the fact that I have a 100% upgrade rate on the way back )
Old Dec 9, 2002, 9:37 am

Programs: Lots of shiny colors
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
I had my first flight in WT+ 2 weeks ago after being in F and J since 1996, and I have to admit that the quality of W made me feel like a spoilt brat, J and F are great but for an 8 hour flight W is perfectly suitable. I don't like airline food and don't drink so a decent legroom and empower are all I need to keep me happy, considering I save over 2000 euros on that flight and that I'll be on it 2-3 times a month I think it's pretty safe to say I won't be in premium that much anymore... (that and the fact that I have a 100% upgrade rate on the way back )</font>
Quizz: there's tabloid material hidden in the above message. Did you spot it?
Old Dec 9, 2002, 9:47 am

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Old Dec 9, 2002, 10:46 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
Great news on the frequency Scott !
Old Dec 9, 2002, 11:20 am

Programs: Too many to manage
WT+ on an 11.5 hour flight from LAX to LHR with no upgrade to J, and the CSD not even coming around to say hello.....not as great as you would think.

Scottsy, what's your u/g secret?

Old Dec 9, 2002, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
If he told you, it wouldn't be a secret any more, now would it?

FewMiles..
Old Dec 9, 2002, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by stinky:
WT+ on an 11.5 hour flight from LAX to LHR with no upgrade to J, and the CSD not even coming around to say hello.....not as great as you would think.

Scottsy, what's your u/g secret?

</font>
I'm very cute and adorable. Do you buy that?
Old Dec 9, 2002, 1:21 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
I'm very cute and adorable. Do you buy that?</font>
Unless you're lying, there's at least one person in that undisclosed US location who agrees with you.
Old Dec 9, 2002, 3:14 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
CSDs find him Cute and Adorable. Who would not buy him?
Old Dec 9, 2002, 3:37 pm

Programs: Too many to manage
It'll take a little more convincing that that methinks......

Pucci, exactly WHAT is so cute / adorable about Scottsy? And.....what would you exactly buy for / with your little Mucci? HHmmmmm, interesting......

I'm very curious AND jealous now.....

[This message has been edited by stinky (edited 12-09-2002).]
Old Dec 9, 2002, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SMessier:
Unless you're lying, there's at least one person in that undisclosed US location who agrees with you.</font>
Is it pynchonesque?

FewMiles..
Old Dec 9, 2002, 4:23 pm

you say back of the bus,do they really still have that,i thoughtt it was outlawed because of cruelty,like,sir plese take of your legs and stow them in the overhead,oh we are so sorry the overhead is full,i guess we will have to tag it and send it as luggage,well we will allow you to keep your private parts and if we misplace one of your legs do not dare ask for comp.
Old Dec 9, 2002, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
How many Euros to a Quid?

Seriously, I recall somewhat fogily that prior to the modernization of British currency a Quid was worth more than a Pound--true?

Will someone explain please? I'd like to have my memory corrected.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.