Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New player on the TLV-JFK route

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2004, 8:09 am
Original Poster

New player on the TLV-JFK route

According to Israeli media, Israir (Israel's 2nd largest charter airline) will begin flying TLV-JFK on June 15th. The plan is for 3 weekly flights on a 767-300ER with 2 class configuration. Israir already flies 757s so they can lease the plane or 2 and use their own pilots.
Ticket prices will be $900-1100 in coach and about $1900 for a business class roudtrip.

Today, ElAl is the only airline that flies direct to JFK. Continental flies twice daily to EWR and both have strong competition from BA, LH and all other american carriers via codeshare flights connecting in Europe. However, on the direct flights the prices are pretty high and a new competition is always blessed.
Old Apr 18, 2004, 2:59 pm

Programs: LY Top Platinum, AA Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
El Al is the airline in most desperate need of a real competitor on the TLV-NYC route. $1900 for biz class? that is actually a reasonable price. "Halevai" that will bring down LY's C class pricing! Right now, your paying over $3,000 round-trip for C class on LY.

I just wish AA would start flying into TLV. MRTC would real sock-it to LY.

Kol Tuv
Old Apr 18, 2004, 4:57 pm

Here is the website to Israir Airlines
http://www.israirairlines.com/about.asp
Old Apr 19, 2004, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by LatusElAl
El Al is the airline in most desperate need of a real competitor on the TLV-NYC route. $1900 for biz class? that is actually a reasonable price. "Halevai" that will bring down LY's C class pricing! Right now, your paying over $3,000 round-trip for C class on LY.

I just wish AA would start flying into TLV. MRTC would real sock-it to LY.

Kol Tuv

i second that motion!

i just booked an aa-ba flight to tlv from lax and although i love ba's lounge in lhr i would much rather fly aa to tlv, no 25% of miles, no FISH for every meal.... plus mrtc or even yet 1 vip will get me from lax to tlv in j! cant beat that
Old Apr 20, 2004, 9:27 pm

I read that the coach tickets will be $700; anyway quite lower than LYs. And the C fares are considerably lower than LY I believe; though no miles. When Tower Air flew to TLV their lower C fares were quite popular.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Some more details

"Business class" on Israir will be more of an "Economy plus" with 38" pitch and prices around 1200-1900$.

The plane(s) will be on a "wet lease" with foreign crews.

The target customers will probably be the jewish religious families of Brooklin (those that were the target of Tower Air in the past) that travel in bulks and the difference in fares is critical. Also, they will attract young Israelis and anyone with a tight budget.

ElAl will probably add all coach flights this summer with the tag of their charter airline (Sun-Dor), or do other things to compete.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 1:51 am
Original Poster

YYZ charter service

It seems that SkyService airlines will start flying from YYZ (Toronto) to Tel Aviv on June 30th as charter flights. This is great news for prices on this route as well.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 7:58 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Hey Lansmen, help me out.

I'm booking a RT NYC to TLV award trip, and the only business class
available is on Turkish Air. There are NO direct flights to be had, and London, Paris, Zurich are all booked.

I know I should have booked sooner, but 7/8 to 7/27 are the dates.

I have the reservation on 2 week "hold". Any insights on flying Turkish Air?
Old Apr 27, 2004, 9:50 pm

>>e plane(s) will be on a "wet lease" with foreign crews. >>

Personally I like an Israeli crew.

<<e target customers will probably be the jewish religious families of Brooklin <<

It seems that most who fly between New York and Tel Aviv these days are Hassidim. I watched an El Al flight at JFK and I would say 90% were Hasid.

My cousin just flew from JFK to Milan on Alitalia and half the flight were Hasidim going onto Tel Aviv.

<<se that were the target of Tower Air in the past)>>

I knew a few Israelis who only flew Tower because of their bargain Business Class fares. The planes were really old 747s.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 9:54 pm

Thumper my cousin flys on Turkish Airlines and likes it. If you go to airlinemeals.net you will see the food they serve. Also on Travelquality web site they have pictures of the cabins and crew.
Old Apr 28, 2004, 7:45 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Brettee,

Thanks for the advice. I hit hte web site and business looks pretty decent. I'll try to write a report upon my return.

One of the guys in my company flew NYC TLV for the first time
and said the culture shock on the plane was much more intense than in Israel. He also said he felt there was more pushing on the plane than in Israel. I laughed.
Old Apr 28, 2004, 10:04 am

[QUOTE=Thumper]Brettee,

>>I'll try to write a report upon my return.>>

A report would be very interesting.

>>One of the guys in my company flew NYC TLV for the first time
and said the culture shock on the plane was much more intense>>

When I went a few years ago from Zurich on LY there was a large German Christian tour group going on a pilgrimage. I presume there are less at the present time. The rest were Israeli tourists returning home; I think the Hasid are mostly from New York. They seem to represent a big portion of the New York / TLV market; atleast now with the present political situation.
Old May 2, 2004, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Ticket prices

Israir have started selling the tickets through their web site. For selected dates in June they sell it (TLV - JFK - TLV) for $783 after taxes. General price between mid-June and mid-July is $883 and mid-July through August - $987. Child price (ages 2-12) is $50 lower and infant (0-2) is about 1/5 of the adult price.

Flights from TLV will depart Sun, Tue and Thu. The return from JFK will depart Mon, Wed and Sat (no flights over Shabbat). Flight times were not published yet.
Old May 2, 2004, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

The 767 plane

The 767-300ER Israir is planning to lease is of a "Loftleidir Iceland".

There are a few difficulties right now with the Icelandic crew that are not willing to sleep in Tel Aviv 3 or more nights a week. It might turn back to Israeli crews.

http://www.icelandreview.com/?nodeID=60233

Last edited by apirchik; May 2, 2004 at 2:12 pm Reason: Added link
Old May 3, 2004, 12:46 am

>>The 767-300ER Israir is planning to lease is of a "Loftleidir Iceland".>>

I thought Loftleider only had B757s.

>>There are a few difficulties right now with the Icelandic crew that are not willing to sleep in Tel Aviv 3 or more nights a week. It might turn back to Israeli crews.<<

Delighted to hear it. Give the job opportunities to Israelis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.