Search

Cold Turkey

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2000, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
Cold Turkey

So, it looks like I'll soon be starting in a new job in a Silicon Valley startup (not a dot com!)...

but my travel will go from about 120K miles a year to maybe 10K or less.

What a waste of Platinum Medallion & Prem. Executive status, huh?

Long hours and little vacation means that it isn't likely I can supplement this minimal business travel with personal travcl.

What is the best strategy for dealing with travel withdrawal? Methadone? Do I need to get rid of my dual time-zone watch? What should I do with my collection of Swiss, Japanese, British, German, French and Finnish currency? Do I try to make, in my own kitchen at home, Omaha steaks, rubber shrimp, tri-color pasta and warmed mixed nuts? Do I need to find a bottle of Green Goddess dressing?
Old Dec 20, 2000, 12:33 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Exp
Congrads on the new job.

Originally posted by opus17:
What is the best strategy for dealing with travel withdrawal?
Time to start stockpiling! Other tips to help you through your tough times:

1. Learn to add 50% extra time to whatever you cook in your microwave.

2. Start giving the guy at the gas station an extra 5% every few months (regardless of what oil prices do, and subject to initiation by other drivers).

3. Paging desk in the garage.

4. Learn the bus routes then flip a coin each morning to determine if your car has "gone mechanical."

5. Invest in a scrolling red LED display (see #3) that permanantly displays "Delayed."

6. Start plucking those pesky www.saveskymiles.com cards from the bathroom mirror every time a DL flyer comes over.

7. Put courtesy phones in every room (don't worry, none of them should work in your house, either).

8. Play the recording from the movie "Airplane" around your driveway and front door area. "There is no unloading in the white zone..."

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Elektrik
Old Dec 20, 2000, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

- Contact United Asset Management and discuss the possibility of purchasing some old United First seats for your new home theater.

- Purchase lots of tableware, glassware, and cutlery with airline logos from eBay.

- Serve booze at your home only from "minis."

- Make certain your toilet bowl water is dyed a dark blue.

- Subscribe to home delivery of Hemispheres Magazine.

- Install a gate reader at your front door.

- Serve your dinner guests in order of their airline status.

and finally...

- Hang out at SFO on your days off.

Good Luck!
Old Dec 20, 2000, 12:48 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Exp
Originally posted by PremEx:

- Make certain your toilet bowl water is dyed a dark blue.
And the toilet has to make that giant sucking sound that threatens to actually pull you in.

- Serve your dinner guests in order of their airline status.
But you only have to serve them half a can of their favorite beverage.

Old Dec 20, 2000, 12:58 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
- Offer your guests at dinner salt and pepper in little paper tubes.

- Keep your blinds closed at home and in the office in the middle of the day for "better viewing by those around you."

- When taking trash out, make sure it fits through the dog door, it'll make you feel like you're using a template.

Don't fret, the same thing happened to me. You just make a bunch more weekend trips.

Greg

Old Dec 20, 2000, 1:09 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally posted by PremEx:
[B- Make certain your toilet bowl water is dyed a dark blue...[/B]
Rent a Port-a-Potty, the narrowest one possible, paint the door a weird beige-gray color, and helpfully label it "Toilet" with a light that goes on and off.

Old Dec 20, 2000, 1:27 am

...Live vicariously through the rest of us!

Sorry to hear your travels are lessening, I guess.

Sorry we never got to hook-up in Chicago back in the fall.
Old Dec 20, 2000, 7:24 am

Vicariously read as much of FT as possible.

Old Dec 20, 2000, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies, I was LOL!

I have decided the following.
1). I will run (loud) dehydrators all day at my house.
2). I will install seat belts on my sofa and use them whenever seated, in case of unforcast earthquakes.
3). I will install emergency lighting in my carpet. White lights lead to red lights.
4). I will institute a house rule that no one is ever allowed to bring me a gift of a bottle of wine.
5.) I will continue to post on Flyertalk, even though my contributions will become dated and ill-informed, until such time that I become totally patheic and am hounded off the board by a series of 5-page flame threads on "The Buzz".

Glad I have something to look forward to.
Old Dec 20, 2000, 4:04 pm
EPS

Programs: UA 1P; HHonors Silver
Stop! I'm laughing so hard my eyes hurt!

You can find Green Goddess dressing.
Old Dec 21, 2000, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
I think AA is selling some of the seats it took out of its aircraft as part of its More Room Throughout Coach program. Get a row of three from a 737, then invite two very large friends to come over and get in the middle seat between them... For best effect, put the seats facing a blank wall, real close.
Old Dec 21, 2000, 10:46 am
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
I'm surprised nobody mentioned mileage runs. Take one every 3 months and you could visit far off exotic places and retain the PE status on United. Four weekends is not much no matter how long you work and how little the vacation.

And keep on reading FT for the tips on accumulating miles while at home.
Old Dec 21, 2000, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally posted by PG:
I'm surprised nobody mentioned mileage runs. Take one every 3 months and you could visit far off exotic places and retain the PE status on United. Four weekends is not much no matter how long you work and how little the vacation.
I'm not really the mileage run kind of fellow.

The reason status was nice was that I travelled so much, it was a survival tactic. Having status and not flying (except to get more status) doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Hopefully, I will make so much money at my new venture that some day I can afford to just pay for First Class anytime I want to travel (and isn't that the American dream?)

Old Dec 21, 2000, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA 1.050MM, PersonalCar 0.275MM
Originally posted by opus17:
Hopefully, I will make so much money at my new venture that some day I can afford to just pay for First Class anytime I want to travel (and isn't that the American dream?)
I make good bucks (...at a Silicon valley non-dot-com company...) but I'm not sure that I would ever be willing to pay what airlines are charging for first class tickets today. Even if I've got the money to burn, I'd rather burn the money in other ways that I would enjoy more. Donate it to a charity I care about, for example. When 3 coach cabin tickets (guaranteeing you an empty seat on each side of you) can cost a mere quarter of a first class ticket, it just doesn't make any sense to me to spend that kind of money.

I wonder if Warren Buffet ever buys first class tickets. I'd imagine not....

(My aversion only applies to paying cash. Upgrades and first class awards are something else.... )
Old Dec 22, 2000, 5:01 am

When I was growing up in California (Silicon Valley for that matter), I loved travelling (I got the bug on a short visit to LON at age 8), but my family only had the money to send me and my sister abroad twice between age 8 and 18 to visit our relatives in Israel and the UK.
What we did? We (i.e. my sister and I) saved all the plastic cups, inflight magazines etc., from the plane, and after weŽd get back, weŽd invite friends over and have some pretend flights (we even got to the point where we made and "scanned" in frequent flier cards!). Now that I fly transatlantic 2-3 times per year, it seems like the make-believe might have actually been more fun than flying (when we made-believe, we could always fly in first for nothing - except once when my sister got rowdy and I sent her back to coach ).
Of course, if as an adult you invite your friends over to such an activity, they might try to call the straightjacket people. One suggestion: organize a "themed" murder mystery party - and set it on a plane. For some reason that sort of make-believe looks perfectly mature and sophisticated .
Yonatan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.