Wiki Posts
Search

Ordering on board

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2023, 3:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
Ordering on board

We used the onboard food ordering web option last night for the first time as soon as the ordering system became available.

The crew then trolley served the entire cabin. As he passed us we explained that we had an order in so he continued on. Then nothing for 15-20 mins when a charming FA appeared and apologised for the lack of the food we'd ordered but they were sold out. Drinks were fine .

Logistically I can see that this makes sense, they can't delay trolley service waiting for potential web orders but is it always the case that it is pointless to use the web order other than for AFTER the trolley service? Just interested in other's experience in case we ever have to repeat the process.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 3:53 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
My understanding is that the at seat ordering is only available after they have done the usual water plus snack service- so yes to answer the OP's question, pointless to try and expect it before the trolley service, though I am happy to be corrected by others. So, for short sectors like AMS I am not sure whether the at seat ordering is available at all......
Deckard likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I’m not sure if I fully understand, did you preorder before boarding or inflight?
What should happen is that the complementary service items such as water and pretzels are handed out first, after which any preordered items should be delivered.
The crew should switch off/suspend the BOB option to all customers so that nobody can order anything.
The crew should then take the trolley through the cabin, front to back to allow customers to buy anything they wish.
After returning to the galley the crew should then reinstate the BOB option so that customers can make any extra purchases.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 3:59 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by Can I help you
I’m not sure if I fully understand, did you preorder before boarding or inflight?
What should happen is that the complementary service items such as water and pretzels are handed out first, after which any preordered items should be delivered.
The crew should switch off/suspend the BOB option to all customers so that nobody can order anything.
The crew should then take the trolley through the cabin, front to back to allow customers to buy anything they wish.
After returning to the galley the crew should then reinstate the BOB option so that customers can make any extra purchases.
Interesting - I've seen a variance in approaches on the 3 flights (admittedly domestic shuttles) I've taken since the menu cards reappeared. We have had

* Trolley run as described above
* No BoB run at all
* Cabin crew walking down the aisle with a menu card asking for orders.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So it will depend on the route, very short domestic flights there is no BOB service at all other than preordered items, longer sectors the trolley service is the preferred method of service, however if the crew feel that this isn’t possible such as a shorter flight time or turbulence they can alter the service.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 4:06 am
Original Poster

Indeed, the option doesn't appear until after the water service. All makes sense with hindsight. Probably would have made sense with foresight.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The option shouldn’t have been there until after the trolley service had been completed.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Partner has clarified. For some reason she was able to place the order during the water service which fed into an (overly optimistic) expectation that it would be fulfilled at the end of the water service. But again, on reflection, it all makes sense.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So that used to be the correct option but it sounds like the crew didn’t suspend the BOB service, so crew their error leading to customers dissatisfaction.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 4:24 am
Original Poster

So that used to be the correct option but it sounds like the crew didn’t suspend the BOB service, so crew their error leading to customers dissatisfaction.
Same crew as in the Exit Row thread so... on the bright side, I found a Tiffany padlock in the seat back pocket so dropped it with the IFL on the way out to the bus...
Old Jun 5, 2023, 4:28 am

So it will depend on the route, very short domestic flights there is no BOB service at all other than preordered items, longer sectors the trolley service is the preferred method of service, however if the crew feel that this isn’t possible such as a shorter flight time or turbulence they can alter the service.
Please can you give examples of the very short flights where BOB is not offered?
Old Jun 5, 2023, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

v1.0 ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​

​ ​

EXPRESS

AMS
BRU
CDG​
DUB
JER​
LBA​
MAN
NCL
NQY
ORY​

CatchThePigeon likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Express is the complementary and pre-ordered items only.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 5:45 am

Programs: BA Silver
This seems an incredibly over-engineered and complicated way of doing things!
BA or bust and Trident 3B like this.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 5:53 am

Programs: BA Gold
On my flight from Faro the other day, there was no complementary water run, they just came round with the BoB trolley, there was also no mention of delivering pre-orders first, although perhaps there weren't any.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.