Wiki Posts
Search

Exit Row Seating Question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2023, 3:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
Exit Row Seating Question

Returned from Greece last night and our party were able to nab 12ACDF with Gold Block remaining as a half full flight.

On boarding 11ABC were empty and crew made no attempt to fill. This seemed strange so my partner moved to 11A before the cabin was secured. After take off a gentleman from 10C moved back to 11C. Fair play to him. Unfortunately his ~4 year old in 10A was playing videos loudly so my partner moved back to 12C. Again, fine.

So the gentleman raised the arm rests and brought said child to play on the exit row seats. He started playing around with the door handle - no great concern in reality - he's not going to be able to open the door, but it is disconcerting to watch. Fortunately he soon got bored so returned to his seat to be replaced by his slightly older sister who lay down quietly.

I queried with our FA whether a child was allowed in the exit row seat and was told "They can't be there for take off or landing so it's OK". Personally I was unaware that emergency landings only took place at those two junctures, but obey cabin crew instructions and all that.

As "secure cabin for landing" rolled around the same FA appeared to be willing to ignore the little girl in the Window Exit Row, but (maybe coincidentally - after he caught my eye) hesitated and told the gentleman that his daughter couldn't sit in the window seat for landing so moved her to the aisle seat. He then continued back down the cabin leaving the armrests up. Cabin secure was announced.

I pressed the call button and the senior member of crew came to see what I wanted and before he reached me looked down and exclaimed loudly "the cabin is NOT secure" and put the arm rests down assuring me he'd speak to the crew member afterwards. As soon as he left the little girl put the armrest back up. Dad said nothing so I just pushed it back down from behind.

So several issues. Given the conflict between "passengers must return to their original seats for landing" and the fact that that would leave the exit row empty, I can see why the gentleman would remain. But by the crew member's own words, she couldn't be there for take off or landing. In addition, the crew member who did the exit row briefing KNEW that he had briefed my partner, so was happy to leave an unbriefed pax in the exit row.

This just seems wrong on so many levels, but maybe I'm just becoming more curmudgeonly with age? I have no problems with the passenger, but I don't think the crew member was correct. I'd welcome affirmation/negation.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by Deckard
They can't be there for take off or landing so it's OK". Personally I was unaware that emergency landings only took place at those two juncture.
I would love your insight as to how an emergency landing can take place a few thousand feet in the air ?

More seriously though, the rest of your story is a no-brainer. Of course a kid should not be in an emergency exit row. During OLCI you are clearly told you are expected to be physically able to open the door.

Not that it's likely to do much good in the world of BA, but you might as well file a formal complaint on the off chance that someone actually reads it.

Edit to add:

The BA policy on this (https://www.britishairways.com/trave...s/public/en_gb) is rather clear-cut.

A kid is neither (a) "a non-disabled adult in full fitness" or (b) "willing and able to assist".

Last edited by OuterBanks; Jun 5, 2023 at 3:40 am
Old Jun 5, 2023, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OuterBanks
I would love your insight as to how an emergency landing can take place a few thousand feet in the air ?
The pedant in me would love to argue that crashing isn't the same as landing but I am all too aware that controlled landings can still require an emergency exit so I just have to grin and ruefully agree
Old Jun 5, 2023, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Firstly it is not a problem for customers who are not able to sit in an emergency exit row for takeoff and landing to occupy the seat inflight, I personally used to move customers who needed extra legroom but also needed a wheelchair to theses seats to make them more comfortable.
On your second point the crew should have moved willing customers before push back to ensure there was one person on each side of the aisle in each emergency exit row.
Deckard and KARFA like this.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Firstly it is not a problem for customers who are not able to sit in an emergency exit row for takeoff and landing to occupy the seat inflight, I personally used to move customers who needed extra legroom but also needed a wheelchair to theses seats to make them more comfortable.
On your second point the crew should have moved willing customers before push back to ensure there was one person on each side of the aisle in each emergency exit row.
Thank you for the inflight clarification. I suppose the argument is that any emergency landing will be telegraphed in advance and the errant pax can be moved. Just seems an additional hassle for crew at a stressful time.

I was surprised that the row wasn't automatically filled by people who hadn't checked in yet but software is as software does.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Hate to tell you this but if things are moving that quickly there would be little chance of anyone surviving anyway.
It’s one of the cabin crew’s responsibilities to ensure exit rows are occupied by passengers who comply with our SOPs, it is usually never a problem to get customers to sit in seats with extra legroom.
Deckard likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 4:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Hate to tell you this but if things are moving that quickly there would be little chance of anyone surviving anyway.
It’s one of the cabin crew’s responsibilities to ensure exit rows are occupied by passengers who comply with our SOPs, it is usually never a problem to get customers to sit in seats with extra legroom.
That made me giggle. Reminiscent of the warnings to people about giving CPR.

I can see that would be one of the easier parts of the job
Can I help you likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.