Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Worth upgrading to Delta One LAX-LHR for $900?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2023, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Hi - trying to figure out if $900 is worth upgrading to Business (d1) for my flight LAX-LHR…it seems kind of low given that’s the same amount to upgrade LAX-JFK lol.

My flight isn’t for 5 more months so not sure if prices will drop more. Should I just do Premium Economy for $450?

Thoughts/ Advice?

Thanks!
Old Jun 4, 2023, 10:43 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Im not really sure how anyone else can tell you what something is worth to you? Thats up to you. If you want a lie-flat seat, then yes. If you dont care, then no.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 10:47 am

Programs: Delta DM for now
That’s about as good as it gets for a flight that long. I would snatch that up in a heartbeat.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 10:57 am

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Yeah, that is a good offer. Premium Select for $450 is a steal though, if you're traveling together with someone and can get an isolated pair.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 11:32 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Your $s, you have to figure what its worth. For me, that would make sense - 10 hour flight, minimum, right. D1 will get you the seat, lounge access in LAX and the really nice perk of access to the Virgin arrivals lounge at LHR. If you can't check in to your London hotel until afternoon, then a place to shower, have a nice breakfast, and relax before taking the train into the city.
And this is probably on the 330neo. Chance to ride a new plane!
tom
Old Jun 4, 2023, 11:53 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Amtrak Member
I want to second the point about the arrivals lounge in LHR - Virgin's "Revivals" lounge. My wife and I visited it after flying DTW-LHR about two weeks ago. It was very nice. You can get a full, cooked to order breakfast, coffee/tea, and you can take a shower. This was a great way to start our stay in London, before we headed to our hotel. The staff were lovely.

We took the Piccadilly tube line into London which worked well for us. Plan ahead though especially if a train strike gets scheduled.

My price point was closer to $500 pp on DTW-LHR to upgrade.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by mot29
Your $s, you have to figure what its worth. For me, that would make sense - 10 hour flight, minimum, right. D1 will get you the seat, lounge access in LAX and the really nice perk of access to the Virgin arrivals lounge at LHR. If you can't check in to your London hotel until afternoon, then a place to shower, have a nice breakfast, and relax before taking the train into the city.
And this is probably on the 330neo. Chance to ride a new plane!
tom
The LAX-LHR flights arrive in the afternoon, so the timing of checking into a hotel wouldn't be an issue.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 2:18 pm

Seems “reasonable”.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I doubt it'll drop lower than that for LAX - LHR.

Worth is a hard thing to judge because $900 for some people is a big deal and for others it's just what they choose to spend their discretionary income on for this month. It's definitely reasonable and a good price point, especially for a flight of that length.

If $900 is easy for you to swing, I would jump on it.

Personally I disagree about PP being worth it for $450 unless you have a bad economy seat. I think PP is fine when it's coming out of someone else's pocket (e.g., when I travel for work internationally I get PE) but I'd rather keep that $450 in my pocket if you've got a good C+ seat or you've got the exit row with unlimited legroom on main Y -- however both of those assume you have status and get access to those for free. If you have to pay for C+ or Exit Row seats, yeah the extra incremental cost up to PP is probably worth it

PP isn't any easier to sleep in and
Old Jun 4, 2023, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787
I doubt it'll drop lower than that for LAX - LHR.

Worth is a hard thing to judge because $900 for some people is a big deal and for others it's just what they choose to spend their discretionary income on for this month. It's definitely reasonable and a good price point, especially for a flight of that length.

If $900 is easy for you to swing, I would jump on it.

Personally I disagree about PP being worth it for $450 unless you have a bad economy seat. I think PP is fine when it's coming out of someone else's pocket (e.g., when I travel for work internationally I get PE) but I'd rather keep that $450 in my pocket if you've got a good C+ seat or you've got the exit row with unlimited legroom on main Y -- however both of those assume you have status and get access to those for free. If you have to pay for C+ or Exit Row seats, yeah the extra incremental cost up to PP is probably worth it

PP isn't any easier to sleep in and
Very much easier to sleep in; it's better than domestic F in my opinion with the reclining footrest. Had it for LIM-ATL on a 764 with a companion in a bulkhead row and it was great.

Flew LAX-ICN in Y next to a stranger and regretted it the entire way.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 3:25 pm

For an eastbound daytime flight like the 9am JFK>LHR or most westbound LHR>USA it might not be worth it. But for an overnight flight eastbound definitely. Those D1 seats usually sell for thousands more than main cabin.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 3:26 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Wow -- I wish I saw offers like this...it's been a while!
Old Jun 4, 2023, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
The OP didn't say what their basis-fare was. An "average" LAX-LHR Business fare is about $5k. Very occasionally in the soft months you can score something for about $3k or even a little less. If the $900 brings the total to under $3k, then it's a relative bargain for D1. If the total becomes over $4k - remember the OP will only be paying for one-way, then it's not really a bargain.
Keystone likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 4:38 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Oakshadow
The OP didn't say what their basis-fare was.
They don't need to, because in most cases it's irrelevant.

Originally Posted by Oakshadow
An "average" LAX-LHR Business fare is about $5k. Very occasionally in the soft months you can score something for about $3k or even a little less. If the $900 brings the total to under $3k, then it's a relative bargain for D1. If the total becomes over $4k - remember the OP will only be paying for one-way, then it's not really a bargain.
The bargain or lack of bargain in this case will be on their original Y ticket. But given they are already committed to at least flying in Y on a particular date* then the only question is, does OP consider it worth a $900 differential to choose a seat in J instead of Y.

*if they have flexibility to rebook on a date where the overall J fare is $3k then sure, they should do that, but that isn't the situation being presented here.
hhdl likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 5:28 pm

Delta One

I actually just did this two nights ago for a flight from JFK to LIS. Randomly scrolling the Delta app on my award reservation and saw the offer for $599 per person - just $100 more than an upgrade to Delta Premium. It was weird because the upgrade had been showing for around $4k per person for a long time. At first I thought it was a bug with the app because it said $599 for the upgrade but when you went to select seats the old price of $4k would pop up before checkout. Finally just went directly to Delta’s website and upgraded both of us from economy to Delta One for $1200. Since these were award tickets and this is the overnight leg I felt it was a great deal!
Warriorconcept likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.