Wiki Posts
Search

Free bottled water on short haul

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2023, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Free bottled water on short haul

On my last couple of flights this week in Y (LGW to Lanzarote) on the pre flight announcement, as usual it was mentioned that those in CE would receive meal & drinks from the bar, whilst economy a bottle of water and snack.

On the outbound in economy it was a small bag of pretzels and a small free cup of water if you requested it poured from a bottle from the purchase drinks round.

The delayed return flight on Sunday (3hrs on departure/ 2.5 hr on arrival ) it was just a small bag of pretzels handed out mid flight. But when I arrived at LGW I realised that no water had been handed out or offered to anyone, either in a small individual bottle ot poured into a cup.

Is this now on the way out in economy?
Old Mar 30, 2023, 12:39 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Sounds more like the bottles weren’t loaded. I wouldn’t worry about it tbh
SxMan and Fatdickie like this.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 12:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks 👍

Just wondering if I needed to go back to taking an empty bottle and refilling airside or in the lounge.

Was more concerned on the return how I would get back home from LGW in the middle of the night, with the last train/bus gone
Old Mar 30, 2023, 12:50 am
D1L

Going forward, i would expect this to end with maybe just a free glass of water on request.

The current service is a bit of a mess. II's either all or nothing. Customers in economy these days expect to be able to purchase from a decent selection, especially when compared to the likes of EZY, Ryanair and even Iberia etc... There's some flights the crew don't even bother coming out with the buy onboard trolley with durations well over 2 hours. Despite being able to pre-order or to sometimes order via the onboard wifi, i'd rather have the option to purchase something than have a tiny bottle of water and pack of pretzels for upto 4 hours or so.
Fatdickie and becks1 like this.

Last edited by D1L; Mar 30, 2023 at 1:38 am
Old Mar 30, 2023, 1:21 am

Programs: BA Gold
The pretzels are a bit on a downward 'enhancement' .
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 1:28 am

I prefer the pretzels personally. You can order onboard via the wifi I think if you want additional items.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 1:44 am

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
My understanding is LGW is now a paper cup of water served from a big bottle.
D1L, sammyg901, Fatdickie and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 1:56 am

I can’t stand the pretzels - the smell is very unpleasant especially as everyone in the cabin munches on them at the same time.

The nutri-grain bars are a much better snack in my view and would serve well all day.

The mini water bottles are useful but tbh do not fit too well with BA’s sustainability ambitions.
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by tom139
Which always attracts a giggle from the passengers !

I don't understand why BA arent emulating Ryanair / Easyjet with BoB, they take plenty of money on holiday flights, can't see how it isn't profitable
Old Mar 30, 2023, 2:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Honestly, BA's marketing banging on about being "a British Original", but then charging for a cup of tea is one of the most weird things. What's more British than a brew? (Personally, I hate the stuff, but that's just me.)

Water/Tea/Coffee, biscuit or snack - complimentary. Anything else is BoB, and only offer BoB on flights with a block time that is long enough to get round everyone. Maybe pre-orders on shorter sectors.
the810, becks1, SxMan and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 3:52 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by mjh0
Honestly, BA's marketing banging on about being "a British Original", but then charging for a cup of tea is one of the most weird things. What's more British than a brew? (Personally, I hate the stuff, but that's just me.)

Water/Tea/Coffee, biscuit or snack - complimentary. Anything else is BoB, and only offer BoB on flights with a block time that is long enough to get round everyone. Maybe pre-orders on shorter sectors.
There was BOB on my flight from BCN to LHR after the measly packet of pretzels and bottle of water were given out.

As BA were paying I had a Kit Kat and Coffee (which you had to brew yourself - dip bag in hot water - was actually ok)

Was waiting for my Gold Greeting and free Scotch but it never happened
becks1 likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 4:34 am

There were small harrogate bottles on my flight out of LGW this morning.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 4:36 am
Original Poster

As LGW is my local airport, I think in future I'll take a small empty refillable bottle with me if not in CE
👍
yellow_peril likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 4:57 am

No, can confirm it's still a functioning airport. Much of West Sussex is waterlogged though.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 8:50 am

I’ve flown LGW-TFS return, 10 days apart, both flights announced over the PA: bottle of water and a snack, BOTH flights: a cup of water from a big bottle and a small bag of pretzels too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.