Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Direct” flights / same plane connections - how many are left on Delta

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2023, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,

I realized mid flight that my HNL to LAX to JFK connection is using the same plane… and that I ended up in the same seat (5A) on both flights. Not sure if this is an official “direct” flight, but I find it cool - does Delta have many of these connections left?
Old Mar 30, 2023, 5:30 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Adelphos
I realized mid flight that my HNL to LAX to JFK connection is using the same plane… and that I ended up in the same seat (5A) on both flights. Not sure if this is an official “direct” flight, but I find it cool - does Delta have many of these connections left?
I had this occur for an IND-ATL-RSW flight. It is funny to go back to the same seats on the same plane at the same gate. The crew changed, which I would imagine is usually the case, so it technically is not a one-stop flight. I would imagine the one-stop flight is extremely rare or non-existent with Delta. You still see it with airlines like Southwest - the airport board usually shows both cities (i.e. one-stop service to BWI via MCO).
Old Mar 30, 2023, 5:44 am

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
I haven't seen it on DL or PMNW in over 30 years. I'm sure they were around I just didn't see them. AFAIK, WN is the only airline that still does this regularly, I have a buddy flying today MSP-DEN-LAS all under one flight number and with one crew.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by Adelphos
Were the flight numbers the same?

I mean, if you think about it, it's pretty obvious that the plane you are on now is going SOMEWHERE next. So, literally hundreds of times a day you could potentially be on one of these combos (but these usually aren't scheduled, the same route tomorrow with the same timing would probably be on two different planes).

Not sure how many actual direct flights still exist (where the same flight number is used for two segments), but usually these are international (e.g. I've booked MEM-ATL-LHR as DL10) and I would guess they are almost always two different plane types.
IggySD and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
At least DL has stopped marketing direct flights that had a scheduled change of gauge....or at least I think they have.
Singleflyer likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by indufan
At least DL has stopped marketing direct flights that had a scheduled change of gauge....or at least I think they have.
They are rare, but there are still some out there DL82 is currently used for MEM-ATL-CDG (DL10 mentioned above is now MSP-LHR and not used on MEM-ATL). Sharing the same flight number is usually what people mean when they talk about "direct" flights, and not simply flying on the same plane with different flight numbers when connecting (which is not that unusual). DL does not share any flight numbers between HNL-LAX and LAX-JFK that I can see. I see DL368 and DL353 on same equipment.
indufan likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
for a number of years now, most of the same-flight-number operations are turns from/to the hubs (e.g., JFK-DCA-JFK, ATL-CHS-ATL, DTW-IND-DTW)
rt23456p and Adelphos like this.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 8:39 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by xliioper
what people mean when they talk about "direct" flights,
And when people use "direct" to mean "non-stop:, ugh!!!!
rt23456p, indufan and cre95 like this.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 8:40 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
Were the flight numbers the same?

I mean, if you think about it, it's pretty obvious that the plane you are on now is going SOMEWHERE next. So, literally hundreds of times a day you could potentially be on one of these combos (but these usually aren't scheduled, the same route tomorrow with the same timing would probably be on two different planes).

Not sure how many actual direct flights still exist (where the same flight number is used for two segments), but usually these are international (e.g. I've booked MEM-ATL-LHR as DL10) and I would guess they are almost always two different plane types.
A lot of outstations will have turns where the inbound and outbound flights from a hub use the same flight number, making it highly unlikely anyone would fly out and back (outside of retirement flights or some other special occasion).

I think most airlines (outside of WN) have gone to that approach to conserve flight numbers, rather than building through flights with the same flight number. The only real benefit of a "same flight number, same plane" itinerary is that it hypothetically removes the possibility of a misconnect...
MSPeconomist and rt23456p like this.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Traditionally, a downside was that both segments would need to upgrade at the same time using different inventory. I think customers weren't even supposed to be upgraded at the gate after having flown the first portion. It was also more difficult to assign or change seats, as you would need to call to have an agent put you in different seats on different segments of a direct flight.

When MSP-NRT-SIN and vv was the same flight number (sometimes with a change of gauge), I would instead try to book MSP-DTW-SIN to avoid the direct flight.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Traditionally, a downside was that both segments would need to upgrade at the same time using different inventory. I think customers weren't even supposed to be upgraded at the gate after having flown the first portion. It was also more difficult to assign or change seats, as you would need to call to have an agent put you in different seats on different segments of a direct flight.

When MSP-NRT-SIN and vv was the same flight number (sometimes with a change of gauge), I would instead try to book MSP-DTW-SIN to avoid the direct flight.
There was also at times (at least on UA) the issue of mileage credit. The direct flights would credit based the departure airport and ultimate arrival airport and not credit for the intermediate stop. You'd lose a few hundred miles here and there as a result -- like in the above where MSP - NRT - SIN is ~9275 but MSP - SIN is only ~9075 and you'd lose the extra 200 miles
Old Mar 30, 2023, 10:38 am
formerly rt23456p

Originally Posted by captaink
A lot of outstations will have turns where the inbound and outbound flights from a hub use the same flight number, making it highly unlikely anyone would fly out and back (outside of retirement flights or some other special occasion).

I think most airlines (outside of WN) have gone to that approach to conserve flight numbers, rather than building through flights with the same flight number. The only real benefit of a "same flight number, same plane" itinerary is that it hypothetically removes the possibility of a misconnect...
There's time where the 1st leg was so significantly delayed that the 2nd leg sourced their own plane and departed themselves. For example, CZ's previous NGO-PVG-CAN, if NGO can't get a departure in time, cz will source a plane from PVG or SHA or rebook every one on a different flight for those only travelling between PVG and CAN.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by zdcatc12
And when people use "direct" to mean "non-stop:, ugh!!!!
"They might tell you you're on a non-stop flight. Well I don't think I care for that. No, I insist that my flight stop. Preferably at an airport." - George Carlin, "Airline Announcements"
Old Mar 30, 2023, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by captaink
The only real benefit of a "same flight number, same plane" itinerary is that it hypothetically removes the possibility of a misconnect...
Practically, that didn't work so well either as they would just change it to a different plane. There were some circumstances were it did work. I remember taking a TUS-PHX-ATL direct once and a majority of the plane actually stayed on.
Originally Posted by Duke787
There was also at times (at least on UA) the issue of mileage credit. The direct flights would credit based the departure airport and ultimate arrival airport and not credit for the intermediate stop. You'd lose a few hundred miles here and there as a result -- like in the above where MSP - NRT - SIN is ~9275 but MSP - SIN is only ~9075 and you'd lose the extra 200 miles
Worked this way at Delta too. Usually cost you at least the 500-mile minimum and a segment, if you were chasing those.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 11:58 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Do they still have a few Upper Midwest EAS milk runs or did they give up the contract for those?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.