Search

Paid upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2023, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Paid upgrades

I'm looking at this flight <72 hours out and the seatmap looks like this:

and the upgrade list looks like this:

I'm pretty bummed I won't have my status back until after this trip, because I could probably clear this upgrade on a transcon even as a lowly MVP! What are the chances that they sell upgrades to first? And how much do they go far, typically? I remember at one point there was a flat cost based on the mileage, do they still do that? Can you use wallet credits to pay for the upgrade?

It looks like they've made U space available, but unfortunately I don't have access to any GGUs.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 10:03 pm

Yeah the mileage cost to upgrade to first is 15,000 per person per segment. That said you’ll need to pay for a certain fare class or above. The way you could check it would be begin the process to change the reservation. At the bottom of that page under “Search Preferences” you would need to select “Mileage”. Or you could just call in to reservations and make this request.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 12:47 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Tweed Jet Set
I'm looking at this flight <72 hours out [and the seatmap looks like this:]

I'm pretty bummed I won't have my status back until after this trip, because I could probably clear this upgrade on a transcon even as a lowly MVP! What are the chances that they sell upgrades to first? And how much do they go far, typically? I remember at one point there was a flat cost based on the mileage, do they still do that? Can you use wallet credits to pay for the upgrade?

It looks like they've made U space available, but unfortunately I don't have access to any GGUs.
Can I pay for an upgrade?

If First Class seats are open within 24 hours of departure after elite passengers have cleared from the upgrade waitlist, passengers will be offered the opportunity to request a paid upgrade at the time of check-in. This is available through web, kiosk, or counter check-in. For more information and pricing, please view our paid upgrade information

Upgrade to First Class on Alaska Airlines for as little as $23.00*. First Class paid upgrades may be available within 24 hours of flight departure through online check-in. They may be available on the calendar day of departure at a kiosk, airport ticket counter or at the departure gate.

Upgrade to Premium Class on Alaska Airlines as little as $5.00**. Premium Class paid upgrades are available at any time from booking through online check-in. They may be available on the calendar day of departure at a kiosk, airport ticket counter or at the departure gate.

*Paid upgrades are valid on flights operated by Alaska Airlines and by SkyWest operating on behalf of Alaska Airlines. Paid upgrades are subject to availability, do not include stopovers, and exclude industry discounts. Prices are based on one-way trip miles, as shown above, unless otherwise noted. No stopovers allowed. Upgrades are subject to availability as "U" Class may not be available on all flights. The link to upgrade to First Class during online check-in will only appear if upgrades are available for purchase. Fare categories are booked in H, Q, M, N, V, K, L, G, B, O, S, T and Y classes of service. Passengers upgraded after baggage has been accepted are not eligible for a refund of baggage fees paid. The paid upgrade program is subject to change or cancellation without notice.

**Premium Class paid upgrades are available on flights operated by Alaska Airlines and by Horizon and SkyWest operating on behalf of Alaska Airlines. Prices are based on a single, one-way flight

What fare class are you booked into?

James
Old Mar 23, 2023, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...

Can you use wallet credits to pay for the upgrade?
Unfortunately no.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...bout-my-wallet
  • You can redeem wallet credits for new ticket purchases only. You cannot apply wallet credits toward any service fees, or as additional fare for exchanged or partially used tickets.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dawgshouse
Yeah the mileage cost to upgrade to first is 15,000 per person per segment. That said you’ll need to pay for a certain fare class or above. The way you could check it would be begin the process to change the reservation. At the bottom of that page under “Search Preferences” you would need to select “Mileage”. Or you could just call in to reservations and make this request.
I might go this route if the wallet credits can be used to rebook the ticket in a higher fare class (since that would be a new fare instead of an upgrade fee, possibly?)

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Can I pay for an upgrade?

If First Class seats are open within 24 hours of departure after elite passengers have cleared from the upgrade waitlist, passengers will be offered the opportunity to request a paid upgrade at the time of check-in. This is available through web, kiosk, or counter check-in. For more information and pricing, please view our paid upgrade information

Upgrade to First Class on Alaska Airlines for as little as $23.00*. First Class paid upgrades may be available within 24 hours of flight departure through online check-in. They may be available on the calendar day of departure at a kiosk, airport ticket counter or at the departure gate.

Upgrade to Premium Class on Alaska Airlines as little as $5.00**. Premium Class paid upgrades are available at any time from booking through online check-in. They may be available on the calendar day of departure at a kiosk, airport ticket counter or at the departure gate.

*Paid upgrades are valid on flights operated by Alaska Airlines and by SkyWest operating on behalf of Alaska Airlines. Paid upgrades are subject to availability, do not include stopovers, and exclude industry discounts. Prices are based on one-way trip miles, as shown above, unless otherwise noted. No stopovers allowed. Upgrades are subject to availability as "U" Class may not be available on all flights. The link to upgrade to First Class during online check-in will only appear if upgrades are available for purchase. Fare categories are booked in H, Q, M, N, V, K, L, G, B, O, S, T and Y classes of service. Passengers upgraded after baggage has been accepted are not eligible for a refund of baggage fees paid. The paid upgrade program is subject to change or cancellation without notice.

**Premium Class paid upgrades are available on flights operated by Alaska Airlines and by Horizon and SkyWest operating on behalf of Alaska Airlines. Prices are based on a single, one-way flight

What fare class are you booked into?

James
Currently booked into 'G'. The "starting at $23" makes me think they're no longer doing to the flat $50/$100/$150 pricing and probably doing some kind of dynamic thing. They have some fine print stating " Prices are based on one-way trip miles, as shown above, unless otherwise noted. " but I am not clear what that's referring to.

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Unfortunately no.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...bout-my-wallet
  • You can redeem wallet credits for new ticket purchases only. You cannot apply wallet credits toward any service fees, or as additional fare for exchanged or partially used tickets.
If you cancelled the existing ticket and rebooked it in an upgrade-eligible fare class would that count as a new ticket or as "additional fare"?
Old Mar 23, 2023, 4:16 pm

I might go this route if the wallet credits can be used to rebook the ticket in a higher fare class (since that would be a new fare instead of an upgrade fee, possibly?)

If you cancelled the existing ticket and rebooked it in an upgrade-eligible fare class would that count as a new ticket or as "additional fare"?
You would be able to use wallet funds on a new ticket purchase. I value 15K miles at $300. Adding the upfare to an eligible fare class for a mileage upgrade and it starts to add up. Considering all that, what is the delta to purchase F?

How much is the fare for N or higher for a GGU application?

James
Old Mar 23, 2023, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

You would be able to use wallet funds on a new ticket purchase. I value 15K miles at $300. Adding the upfare to an eligible fare class for a mileage upgrade and it starts to add up. Considering all that, what is the delta to purchase F?

How much is the fare for N or higher for a GGU application?

James
Right now F is $410 more than a main fare ticket. A mileage upgradable ticket is $130 more than main and a GGU upgrade-able ticket is the same price as a main fare. (Though the current price is $130 higher than the price when I bought the ticket).
Old Mar 23, 2023, 7:53 pm

Right now F is $410 more than a main fare ticket. A mileage upgradable ticket is $130 more than main and a GGU upgrade-able ticket is the same price as a main fare. (Though the current price is $130 higher than the price when I bought the ticket).
Personally, I would just fly what you have. I understand the desire to use wallet funds over new cash but it is a pretty lousy proposition.

At a minimum, you are spending $130 wallet funds should a GGU fall in your lap. Is that good value? Burning $130 wallet funds and 15K miles is ~$430. Is that good value considering the additional fare to F is $410?

You can still cancel & book F with wallet funds. If this is a transcon, you also get AL access, if available on the route. The base miles will get you back to MVP status. The validity of that is only until December 31st, 2023. Would the COS help in organically earning MVP good through then end of 2024?

Which ever you decide, without Elite Status, your RDM bonus is zero. Consider the cost on a cents per mile basis of the EQM you are earning.

Wallet funds are derived from cash so we shouldn't value the wallet funds at anything less than cash; many do.
James
Old Mar 25, 2023, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Personally, I would just fly what you have. I understand the desire to use wallet funds over new cash but it is a pretty lousy proposition.

At a minimum, you are spending $130 wallet funds should a GGU fall in your lap. Is that good value? Burning $130 wallet funds and 15K miles is ~$430. Is that good value considering the additional fare to F is $410?

You can still cancel & book F with wallet funds. If this is a transcon, you also get AL access, if available on the route. The base miles will get you back to MVP status. The validity of that is only until December 31st, 2023. Would the COS help in organically earning MVP good through then end of 2024?

Which ever you decide, without Elite Status, your RDM bonus is zero. Consider the cost on a cents per mile basis of the EQM you are earning.

Wallet funds are derived from cash so we shouldn't value the wallet funds at anything less than cash; many do.
James

Yeah, they ended up wanting $214 to upgrade to First at check-in which was too much for me. I ended up splurging on a $30 daypass at the JFK Alaska instead, which seemed like a solid value.

I get your point about wallet funds, but on the other hand they have limited uses and an expiration so part of me just wanted to use them since I'm not sure the next time I'll be flying Alaska (and paying out of my own pocket). Since I got them after a fare drop they kind of felt like bonus.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Yeah, they ended up wanting $214 to upgrade to First at check-in which was too much for me. ..
considering that I'm lately seeing a minimum $400 difference at time of booking (SEA<>WAS), that imo is actually not a bad deal on a TCON (the fact that they're offering it at check-in makes me wonder whether the upgrade intern fell asleep, though)
Old Mar 27, 2023, 1:09 pm

Currently booked into 'G'. The "starting at $23" makes me think they're no longer doing to the flat $50/$100/$150 pricing and probably doing some kind of dynamic thing. They have some fine print stating " Prices are based on one-way trip miles, as shown above, unless otherwise noted. " but I am not clear what that's referring to.

Yes, the upgrade pricing hasn’t been the flat fixed rate for some time. I upgraded from Main Cabin to First on a sfo-sea run last year and it was something like $41 with a wide open F seat map at T -24.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
considering that I'm lately seeing a minimum $400 difference at time of booking (SEA<>WAS), that imo is actually not a bad deal on a TCON (the fact that they're offering it at check-in makes me wonder whether the upgrade intern fell asleep, though)
It seemed like all the upgrades had already cleared and there were STILL seats available. I'll have to reminder this flight time now that I have my MVP status back! They did mention several times that there were weight/balance restrictions on the flight, I wonder if that was a factor.

If you upgrade you don't get lounge access or the extra EQM, so it's hard to value it on-par with buying first outright.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 5:24 pm

I understand that U class needs to be available for upgrades to clear, but can anyone confirm whether a paid upgrade rebooks into U or another revenue class? I generally credit my flights to BA - so don't really want to pay a few hundred dollars for an upgrade and then lose all the Tier Points from them.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 5:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by makin'miles
I understand that U class needs to be available for upgrades to clear, but can anyone confirm whether a paid upgrade rebooks into U or another revenue class? I generally credit my flights to BA - so don't really want to pay a few hundred dollars for an upgrade and then lose all the Tier Points from them.
It books into U and credits as your original booking fare.
pcoll and be_rettSEA like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.