Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What happens to my existing reservations if I delete my UA account?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2023, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

I am looking to use up my existing mileage on my current UA account and then delete it entirely afterwards. Can I delete the account prior to taking my (final) trip? Will deleting the account nullify my reservation?
Thanks all.

EDIT: My reason for deleting my account are personal and I do not wish to share that information publicly at this time. However, my wish is to delete my account ahead of my trip for the sake of being "tidy".

Last edited by thekaoboy; Mar 22, 2023 at 6:32 pm Reason: Additional info
Old Mar 22, 2023, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why delete your account? Furthermore, how?
adamyccheung likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by thekaoboy
I am looking to use up my existing mileage on my current UA account and then delete it entirely afterwards. Can I delete the account prior to taking my (final) trip? Will deleting the account nullify my reservation?
Thanks all.
Well, welcome back to FlyerTalk and thanks for joining the conversation, thekaoboy !

As fumje asks, why is it critical to delete your account prior to completing your flights?

David
Old Mar 22, 2023, 6:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fumje
Why delete your account? Furthermore, how?
Originally Posted by DELee
As fumje asks, why is it critical to delete your account prior to completing your flights?
The OP has made it clear, in a post update, they do not wish to discuss this. They ask if there will be any consequences of deleting the account.

One consequence, if this is done, would be what happens if the flight is cancelled by you or UA, there is no place to redeposit the miles.

Deleting the account before traveling may not be the best choice. Once you have actually consumed all miles / reservation, dependting on your location, have the right to be forgotten.
sparker72 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am left wondering how an account can be deleted at account holder's behest.

I don't imagine it causing any issue for a ticketed reservation, but clearly I have never tried deleting an account.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 7:25 pm

Programs: *
Can I delete the account prior to taking my (final) trip?
Yes. You can delete your account anytime.

Will deleting the account nullify my reservation?
No it will not if the reservation is ticketed

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The OP has made it clear, in a post update, they do not wish to discuss this. They ask if there will be any consequences of deleting the account.
OP did not actually ask if there were consequences of deleting the account (other than if will nullify reservation) - if OP is not forthcoming with more information then I doubt our responses can be any more helpful than the above...

Originally Posted by fumje
I am left wondering how an account can be deleted at account holder's behest
Very easy - just go to account settings or preferences and you will see the option. Otherwise a call to the service center will achieve same.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ani90

No it will not if the reservation is ticketed

OP did not actually ask if there were consequences of deleting the account (other than if will nullify reservation) - if OP is not forthcoming with more information then I doubt our responses can be any more helpful than the above...

Very easy - just go to account settings or preferences and you will see the option. Otherwise a call to the service center will achieve same.
I tried and didn't! I guess UA want to keep me.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ani90

No it will not if the reservation is ticketed.
Are you sure an account can be deleted when there's an active award ticket using miles from that account?
Old Mar 22, 2023, 8:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mduell
Are you sure an account can be deleted when there's an active award ticket using miles from that account?
I don't know the answer, but if the has been paid, should UA care? However, it could be UA system would have aproblem with an invalid account on an award ticket.

It does seem best to wait and delete the account post flight and not test the robustness of UA's systems
Old Mar 22, 2023, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by mduell
Flying, whether on paid cash or miles, does not require an associated account.

Once the itinerary has been ticketed, I don't see any reason why an account would be necessary.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 6:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL

One consequence, if this is done, would be what happens if the flight is cancelled by you or UA, there is no place to redeposit the miles.

Deleting the account before traveling may not be the best choice. Once you have actually consumed all miles / reservation, dependting on your location, have the right to be forgotten.
This seems sound . . . unless there is some imperative to delete now vs. right after the trip is complete, would seem like the better approach.

That said, I imagine that if there's a need to refund miles United could either reopen the account or place the miles into another/new account.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know the answer, but if the has been paid, should UA care? However, it could be UA system would have aproblem with an invalid account on an award ticket.

It does seem best to wait and delete the account post flight and not test the robustness of UA's systems
Originally Posted by drewguy
This seems sound . . . unless there is some imperative to delete now vs. right after the trip is complete, would seem like the better approach.

That said, I imagine that if there's a need to refund miles United could either reopen the account or place the miles into another/new account.
​​​​​​
OP does express desire to do it before travel. I interpret the desire for being "tidy" to mean that before travel is integral.

Thanks all.

EDIT: My reason for deleting my account are personal and I do not wish to share that information publicly at this time. However, my wish is to delete my account ahead of my trip for the sake of being "tidy".
On that note, though, I'm not sure how much tidiness is possible, since when the reservation tickets it will have a certificate attached indicating where the miles came from.

Anyway, belated welcome to (posting on) flyertalk, thekaoboy! This has piqued my curiosity, and I hope you will let us know 1. if you manage to delete account and how it was done, 2. what happens/happened with reservation vis a vis the account deletion.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it's an award ticket and involves miles from a credit card signup bonus, I could see them canceling award ticket if the terms for bonus are not met (canceling card after less than 6 months or refunding purchases after bonus posts). There's also various prohibited behaviors in the Program Rules (like sale/barter of award miles) that allows them to cancel tickets.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 9:24 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
It's not that unusual a request (spending down your miles quickly then deleting the account) as any divorce lawyer can tell you (no personal experience here).

OP, hope that's not your reason, but whatever it is, good luck.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 9:25 am

Cancellations

I think this would be my biggest worry. I don’t believe UA would have any issues with the flight already being booked. However if there are any cancellations or changes that need to be made, that could cause issues.I don’t see how they can credit or issue any points

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.