Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Days like this when silver is worth it (to me)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2023, 3:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold

- Cheap as chips ET return to GVA.
- free exit row selection
- actually used my extra checked bag for once
- club check in, no queue (ok wasn't exactly busy anywhere...)
- quick trot through FT security
- full use of GC lounge - was surprised to see a full English buffet, thought that was for GF only
- tipple, tipple, tipple (& tip all the spares in my bag for later )
- on board, no one sitting next to me, plenty of room

All in all, it's experiences like this that make me see the value of maintaining silver.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 4:30 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, HHonors
Silver is the sweet spot in the status hierarchy. A friend whose travel pattern is mostly short haul Y with the occasional long haul Y/W is a newly minted Silver. Like you, she’s really enjoying the benefits. I’m as guilty as anyone of taking for granted the help that a bit of status can bring to travelling. Always good to be reminded by a fresh perspective.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 4:59 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Silver is indeed excellent, and definitely the 'sweet spot'. It's saved friends of mine seat selection fees on long haul flights and helped another with fastrack and lounge access before various trips including a late notice trip to Scotland where it was really appreciated.

Friends who are Gold this year due to additional travel are happy to have a soft landing to Silver next year and that's where they aim to be ongoing rather than trying to chase Gold.
m8_rotate likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 5:37 am

I 100% agree with this.

I was briefly Gold and, whilst the First Wing and GF lounge are nice, the best part was the soft landing to Silver for another year.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 5:43 am

As a Silver of nearly 6 years now who only got Gold due to the holiday offer the benefits especially when going shorthaul Y in Europe are excellent.

Some of my favourite benefits of Silver:

Seat Selection wouldn't pay for it but always nice to get an exit row and the direct aisle CW seats without paying.

Lounges in particular CX at T3 and HKG and in America the Flagship Lounges and the AS lounges.

Fast Track Security was reminded watching my dad standing in line a few weeks ago how much slower it can be.

Guesting friends into Lounges and when needed the extra luggage.

It's fairly easy to attain in the gap between status year ending and status expiring.
m8_rotate likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 6:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, BA AMEX PP, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by David_Doyle
Silver is indeed excellent, and definitely the 'sweet spot'. It's saved friends of mine seat selection fees on long haul flights and helped another with fastrack and lounge access before various trips including a late notice trip to Scotland where it was really appreciated.

Friends who are Gold this year due to additional travel are happy to have a soft landing to Silver next year and that's where they aim to be ongoing rather than trying to chase Gold.
Ditto, only reason we're re-qualifying this year is the BAH double tier points promotion. Our flying has mostly moved to SH, and half of that is between TFS and London where there are 5 other carriers that offer both more convenient & better value options at times.

CE just isn't worth the premium on most routes when you are Silver+ and the impending Avios earning devaluation will make it even less so. { In addition to the devaluation, the earn rate between gold and silver will also shrink significantly if they are following the current Iberia model. } Have a big stash of Avios too, so will burn through those next year and happily take the drop to Silver in 2025.

Only thing I will really miss is the snug in the Gatwick F lounge.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by Cw novice
Fast Track Security was reminded watching my dad standing in line a few weeks ago how much slower it can be.
Not sure if you know already, but you can take a guest through Fast Track in London.
m8_rotate likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 7:27 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Another fan of Silver, which I've had for about 10 years. My travels, generally three TATLs per year in WTP, allow me to reach Silver fairly easily, especially if a segment or two is in Club. And for me, the access to AA lounges, even on cheap economy fares when I fly within the US, is the cherry atop the sundae.

Of course, given the limitations of my international travel, it would be difficult to reach Gold unless I took First on every segment.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by The Geek
Not sure if you know already, but you can take a guest through Fast Track in London.
It was in EDI and he had ploughed ahead before I could tell him. LHR with the wing was far more pleasant for him
wanderingjock and The Geek like this.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 10:59 am

…….and the impending Avios earning devaluation ….
Devaluation? Impending? Tell us more please.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Greenpen
Devaluation? Impending? Tell us more please.
Spend-based Avios earning coming to BAEC in 2023
Old Feb 3, 2023, 11:16 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
Originally Posted by David_Doyle

Agreed as someone who made it to gold for the first and probably only time due to the reduced tier points required along with an unexpected LH work trip, it was the soft landing to silver that encouraged me to take a couple of CE flights to make up the TP to gold.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 11:32 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Silver

Only thing I will really miss is the snug in the Gatwick F lounge.
I’ve been in the Gatwick F lounge several times and not aware of the snug - Is that the little bit which would be right behind the 2 reception desks or have I missed another part of the lounge?
Old Feb 3, 2023, 11:43 am

Bookmarking this thread as a reminder my AA PLT isn't all that bad!
Old Feb 3, 2023, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by ratechaser
- Cheap as chips ET return to GVA.
- free exit row selection
- actually used my extra checked bag for once
- club check in, no queue (ok wasn't exactly busy anywhere...)
- quick trot through FT security
- full use of GC lounge - was surprised to see a full English buffet, thought that was for GF only
- tipple, tipple, tipple (& tip all the spares in my bag for later )
- on board, no one sitting next to me, plenty of room

All in all, it's experiences like this that make me see the value of maintaining silver.
spot on, I will lose my silver status on 28th of this month. But so far I have 5 flights booked by the beginning of June earning me 600 points.
mikeyfly likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.