Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Look after the pennies BA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2023, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Look after the pennies BA

An old complaint I know, but one that feels even more pertinent in these days of egregious air fares. Just boarded First ATL-LHR (feeling way less than premium after the horrendous Club at ATL) and was served the below as my PDD.

The delightful cabin crew member explained that it was due to booze being bonded on the ground (which I knew) and has since poured me
a healthy refill but why does BA put him in that position? My work paid (£8k) for my ticket but imagine if you didn’t know better and thought that bought you First class treatment! Penny wise once again.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 8:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by aristoph
My work paid (£8k) for my ticket .
Tell your work to put you on another airline?
Old Feb 2, 2023, 8:16 pm

Perhaps the generous refill came after first seeing whether there was enough for other passengers who may have requested the same PDB? Knowing what you do, you'll appreciate BA only make X number of bottles of champagne available. A carefully determined algorithm will have decided the optimum number of champagne bottles required to serve pre departure taking into consideration passenger load and predicted uptake due to tax and duty needing to be paid on said bottles.

I don't know what the £8k ticket cost has to do with with the price of fish..... F is F.... J is J.... if youre entitled to sit in the cabin that's all there is to it.... all passengers in that sense are equal.... inluding the avios upgrader accross the aisle who only paid airport taxes and fees.
flygirl68, stifle and astra19e like this.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 11:08 pm

Programs: BA Executive club
It’s pathetic isn’t it?
BA need to stop counting the pennies in First and Club.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 11:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by settlenick
It’s pathetic isn’t it?
BA need to stop counting the pennies in First and Club.
if it finds it is losing customers and losing margin , then it will likely change. if people still book and travel on BA, why would it change?
BearX220, marconess and becks1 like this.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 11:28 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
"In these days of egregious air fares ... for which my work is paying."
enviroian, AdBoy, etiene and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 11:59 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
An old complaint I know, but one that feels even more pertinent in these days of egregious air fares. Just boarded First ATL-LHR (feeling way less than premium after the horrendous Club at ATL) and was served the below as my PDD.
The delightful cabin crew member explained that it was due to booze being bonded on the ground (which I knew) and has since poured me
a healthy refill but why does BA put him in that position? My work paid (£8k) for my ticket but imagine if you didn’t know better and thought that bought you First class treatment! Penny wise once again.
Interesting post, thanks for sharing. Some comments, if I may be permitted:

The Club @ATL is, indeed, garbage.
Genuine question to which I do not know the definite answer- when champagne is served in a glass like that (i.e. not a flute), how far should it be filled?
I had thought to the widest point, so slightly higher than where it is.
I am glad the crew were delightful, I feel that a good crew can make up for a lot.

£8k isn't and wasn't ever unusual for full fare F to the USA. These came in at about £6k 4-5 years ago and then you consider inflation is at 10%+ in the UK and you get there pretty quickly.
But this is certainly the direction of travel for F fares, particularly as the number of seats falls with BA and JBA partner AA get rid of them.
Grande Annee and flybymonkey like this.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 12:28 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
For the plebeians in the audience, can someone explain what the issue is here? The glass isn’t full enough? What does bonded on the ground mean?
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 12:30 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by Radiation Station
For the plebeians in the audience, can someone explain what the issue is here? The glass isn’t full enough? What does bonded on the ground mean?
I am reliably informed by my children that the correct term nowadays is "povos"....
I think it is the fact that the glass is not filled adequately.
Bonded means that they can't open (e.g. the LPGS) until they are in the air, normally for local taxation reasons.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 12:33 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by crazy8534
I am reliably informed by my children that the correct term nowadays is "povos"....
I think it is the fact that the glass is not filled adequately.
Bonded means that they can't open (e.g. the LPGS) until they are in the air, normally for local taxation reasons.
Thanks! Follow up povo question - if they can’t open the champagne until they are in the air, how did the OP get part of his glass filled?
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by Radiation Station
Thanks! Follow up povo question - if they can’t open the champagne until they are in the air, how did the OP get part of his glass filled?
The alcohol loaded into the sealed bar trolley doesn’t have duty paid on it - thus it can’t be opened to be served whilst still on the ground in the US. However, BA pay duty on a small number of bottles of champagne which are loaded outside of the locked bar trolley - to be used for pre-departure drinks
Old Feb 3, 2023, 1:46 am

Programs: Meh
My takeaway from this post is your work needs to become more penny wise.
HNL1K, CT-UK, London Dude and 20 others like this.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 1:53 am

Is the champagne used on the ground before takeoff the same as served after taking to the air?

We hear a lot about the wines served when flying but not much about the welcome drink when you do not see the list or bottle.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 1:56 am

Programs: BA Gold
At least you got champagne, flying back from JNB recently we were told that it was only orange juice or water, apparently because BA didn't want to pay the taxes. She started off by saying it was a new policy but then I heard her saying to other people it was just an issue on that flight. That was in CW, not sure whether they stumped up for any in F.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by stevie
My takeaway from this post is your work needs to become more penny wise.
Couldn’t agree more
lavajava and TTmex like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.