BA 282 no servable wine in all cabins

Old Jan 26, 2023, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM, BA GGL/CCR,/GFL, A3 Gold, JBU Mosaic, ITA Executive, HHonors Diamond
BA 282 no servable wine in all cabins

A lil stunned
Flying LAX-LHR in F I got a little surprised by noting sparkling water was added to the LPGS (tasted like water and found ice and the perlage was ‘stuck’ as in sparkling water). i approached the FA trying not to be rude and told her: some water fell in the glass , I know they under cater the LPGS no worries can I have some red wine instead?
She answered ‘ worked for BA for 30 years and I am ashamed ti say but no corkscrew were loaded in any cabins so we can’t open the wines except the sauvignon blanc who has a screwcap’
I don’t think champagne and wine serving should be the top priority of an airline, but with the (I sense tragically purposeful) watering down of the LPGS by the helpless crew and with the inability to serve wine we have reached a new low. Note the FA did not deny there was water, she noted ‘they only put two bottles’. For 14 pax.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 6:51 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
For Westbound I know the standard is for them to stop serving when down to 2 bottles so that's no surprise. I likely get through one bottle alone within the first hr on my red-eyes; though East fortunately no one else seems to partake in my shenanigans as I've never had it run out.

As for the wine, whilst it's criminal to say (and those with a sophisticated disposition read no further), did you suggest they push in the cork? Given all F wines wines struggle to break the Ł30 mark, surely they'd try and make it work and suffer the Ł15 waste for whatever isn't finished.
Sealink, becks1 and rt23456p like this.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM, BA GGL/CCR,/GFL, A3 Gold, JBU Mosaic, ITA Executive, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by jjLDNY
For Westbound I know the standard is for them to stop serving when down to 2 bottles so that's no surprise. I likely get through one bottle alone within the first hr on my red-eyes; though East fortunately no one else seems to partake in my shenanigans as I've never had it run out.

As for the wine, whilst it's criminal to say (and those with a sophisticated disposition read no further), did you suggest they push in the cork? Given all F wines wines struggle to break the Ł30 mark, surely they'd try and make it work and suffer the Ł15 waste for whatever isn't finished.
You’re right. I am in flight right now. I asked them but they don’t seem to want to. The Intentional watering down of the LPGS still shocked me tho. Especially since they ran out after takeoff. However, the Larrivet de haut brion 2011 retails at about 65-70 usd
Sealink, ttama, rt23456p and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 7:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by IkarosBOS
You’re right. I am in flight right now. I asked them but they don’t seem to want to. The Intentional watering down of the LPGS still shocked me tho.
Well write it all up now and you're well in your right to receive compensation, corkscrews not being loaded is a valid complaint as it's a disruption to F, the water in the LPGS is surely a severe offense, but a little harder to prove in your write-up. Doesn't help now, but if they're unwilling to assist in any capacity try and set it aside and find something else to drink - don't let it ruin the flight. Sounds like you also enjoyed the rib-eye so at least the food was a positive - I was pleasantly surprised by it.

Maybe it's time for some shots!
Old Jan 26, 2023, 7:28 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club - Silver, Nectar, Tesco
Maybe it's time for some shots!
Now steady on, old bean - they made an error for sure, but not so big a one as to demand them being tied to a stake at dawn...

Wait, you meant shots of an alcoholic version
SK, Unimatrix One, dcmike and 13 others like this.

Last edited by IJN Harekaze; Jan 26, 2023 at 7:34 pm
Old Jan 26, 2023, 7:36 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by IkarosBOS
The Intentional watering down of the LPGS still shocked me tho.
It's a ridiculous thing to do! Hard to imagine how someone concluded that that would be a sensible solution to the problem.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IJN Harekaze
Now steady on, old bean - they made an error for sure, but not so big a one as to demand them being tied to a stake at dawn...

Wait, you meant shots of an alcoholic version
Haha totally agree!
Down with the blue label!
Some of you here might agree a solid glass (or two) of neat Blue with an accompanying iced water glass is almost as acceptable for the TATL meal as a bordeaux…
jjLDNY likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 9:08 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Bucks Fizz or Mimosa falls into the same sacrilegious practice in my mind. Why dilute a Ł100+ bottle of champagne with a Ł1 carton of orange juice? 😀
Old Jan 26, 2023, 11:01 pm

People look down at boxed wine but I had a few during the years that were consistently better then some supposedly good bottle of wines out there. Also, so easy to open. There, I said it.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 11:47 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Let’s be honest. BA never fails to amuse us. The premium experience has become such a joke. It wouldn’t surprise me if they started adding artificial colour to the wines so they look more red or yellow….
Buster, haroon145 and HFHFFlyer like this.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 12:36 am

I likely get through one bottle alone within the first hr on my red-eyes; ….
Lightweight!
Old Jan 27, 2023, 1:01 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
You'd think they might speculatively put out an announcement to see if anyone had a corkscrew in their hand baggage or on a key ring etc... (or is that a big no no in terms of being seen as a sharp object at security?)

Not ideal, but it would solve a problem, and it's not like they are asking if anyone knows how to fly a plane...
MSPeconomist and ttama like this.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 1:29 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by ratechaser
You'd think they might speculatively put out an announcement to see if anyone had a corkscrew in their hand baggage or on a key ring etc... (or is that a big no no in terms of being seen as a sharp object at security?)

Not ideal, but it would solve a problem, and it's not like they are asking if anyone knows how to fly a plane...
The TSA seems to think that it would be OK as long as there is no blade: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...crews-no-blade
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 1:40 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by pampa
People look down at boxed wine but I had a few during the years that were consistently better then some supposedly good bottle of wines out there. Also, so easy to open. There, I said it.
For your future on this forum you’d better hope we don’t see a statement from BA along the lines of “Based on customer feedback we have decided to only offer boxed wines from now on”.
BA or bust, JayeJ, pampa and 2 others like this.

Last edited by EuropeanPete; Jan 27, 2023 at 1:45 am
Old Jan 27, 2023, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I have heard about flights leaving without any corkscrews loaded, of course this should never happen.
I believe the title of this thread is misleading as there are will be plenty of wines onboard that could have been served as all of the wines in CW and WT are screw tops. There are probably two or maybe three wines in First that have corks that would not be able to be served.
SK, Jimmie76, flygirl68 and 3 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.