Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

UK Border Force Christmas strike - confirmed dates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2022, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Eight days of Christmas misery, 23 December onwards/

Border Force staff to strike over Christmas - union https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63893115

We fly out on day one….
becks1 and SxMan like this.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 8:49 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, Virgin Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH diamond, IHG Platinum
They have been training the army to take over. Who knows perhaps it will be better than usual!!
Dan72, aristoph, chris63 and 12 others like this.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 9:06 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by aristoph

We fly out on day one….
Perhaps good for people to remember that the UK doesn't have routine border checks on exit, so i would assume you'll be fine, no? Or are you returning within the 8 days?
jsn55 and Kranebitten like this.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 9:09 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by aristoph
We fly out on day one….
Given there’ll also be strikes on trains and ambulances and whatever else will be announced by then, that seem a very sensible approach to dealing with this strike. Just don’t come back before the strike is over.
jsn55, wrp96, becks1 and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dan72
Perhaps good for people to remember that the UK doesn't have routine border checks on exit, so i would assume you'll be fine, no? Or are you returning within the 8 days?
I’m aware of that, but the risk of course is that airlines/airports impose cancellations across the board board because they can’t cope with the inbound flights.

For myself, I think I will be fine as we are long haul BA and late at night, but I fear others may not be so lucky.
becks1 likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 9:14 am

Ha, missed flying home for Christmas due to COVID the last two years.

Have 3 flights in this 8 day period...

Let's see.
Abidjan, scoonee and goodeats21 like this.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 9:51 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Originally Posted by atcer28
They have been training the army to take over.
They didn't want Christmas with their families anyway........

aks120
scoonee, T8191, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 9:57 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Wonder what the people across the channel are going to do without their welcoming committee.
chris63, 1Aturnleft, SxMan and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 10:10 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by aks120
They didn't want Christmas with their families anyway........

aks120
If the border could be moved to the nearest hospital the army could cover A&E as well. That's when they are not delivering the post.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DaveS
If the border could be moved to the nearest hospital the army could cover A&E as well. That's when they are not delivering the post.
LOL
But there's plenty of people delivering my "post" that matters - parcels - just not Royal Mail. And thank goodness, as they are far less flexible and reliable.
TFM likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 10:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The timings must have been designed to cause issues with the Home Office civil servants, who would usually be covering the critical roles, with the Army assumed to do support roles such as queue marshalling. HO staff will of course already have Christmas leave planned. With whole batallions already on planned leave over Christmas this is going to cause problems on one level. On the other hand usually passenger flows are not that great during the strike days. HAL hasn't been given much information yet, but there is a risk of some pre-emptive cancellations of flights, at HAL's behest.
squawk and becks1 like this.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 10:18 am

Programs: qr
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
Wonder what the people across the channel are going to do without their welcoming committee.
this is targeted action and to start with only will be at a few selected airports - LHR ,LGW and MAN being key ones,and one sea port. Union have only asked members who are immigration trained to support the action over this period . However they stated they will ramp up wider action if a deal is not forthcoming from HMG. Contingency plans are in place from various other govt depts and as stated the army . However it’s likely to be disruptive and delivery questionable .
Old Dec 7, 2022, 10:19 am

Programs: BA, QR status varies from rags to riches - now gold, IHG Diamond Elite
A quick question. I'm travelling with my family DUB-LHR on 26 Dec and LHR-DUB on 28 Dec, both strike days. I haven't done this for a while and cannot remember if there are Border Force checks for flights from the Republic of Ireland, part of the Common Travel Area. We are flying BA in and out of T5, if that makes any difference. Could someone remind me, please.
Thx Grantosol
Old Dec 7, 2022, 10:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Grantosol
A quick question. I'm travelling with my family DUB-LHR on 26 Dec and LHR-DUB on 28 Dec, both strike days. I haven't done this for a while and cannot remember if there are Border Force checks for flights from the Republic of Ireland, part of the Common Travel Area. We are flying BA in and out of T5, if that makes any difference. Could someone remind me, please.
Thx Grantosol
No essential checks, so these services should not be affected. There is a theoretical aspect of customs checks which still applies to RoI arrivals but it's all intelligence led rather than boots on the ground.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 10:23 am
jmd

Programs: BAEC gold
Originally Posted by Grantosol
Thx Grantosol
There are no UK border force checks when travelling to and from Ireland (there are checks on arrival in DUB, but hopefully they won’t be on strike, plus you can use the e-gates there anyway). I’m going to DUB on 27th Dec, so hopefully we should both be ok…

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.