Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Gold moved out of MCE seat after boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2022, 11:35 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hyatt Globalist

My friend who is a lifetime Gold (but less knowledgeable about the mileage game) just called that he and his wife were bumped from from their MCE seats they selected at check-in on a A321neo to Hawaii they just boarded. He had me log on his account to look at the seat map, and the plane looks at least half empty and there are at least a dozen open MCE seats (including the ones they bumped him from). No change of plane type and neither seat was an aisle, so wasn't bumped for an air marshal or something. Only thing I could think of was weight balance since the plane was so empty -- any other reasons someone would get bumped from an MCE seat like this after boarding? They moved him from row 9 to 13 and said they would refund his MCE fee (very generous since he paid $0 for them).
Old Nov 26, 2022, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Did he try to change the seat back on the app (assuming it wasn't yet under gate control)? Did he ask the gate agent what happened?
javabytes likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Seat assignments get dropped or changed frequently for many reasons. Schedule changes, even without a change in aircraft type. Schedule changes where the aircraft type is changed and then changed back. Heck, it happens even if you call to reprice an existing ticket if the fare decreased. Day of departure equipment swaps. And yes it can happen for W&B.

It’s impossible to really speculate why it happened. Contacting AA after the fact is not exceedingly likely to yield answers.

But what is generally true is that by the time you’ve boarded the plane it’s most likely too late to do anything about it. You said they selected the seats at check in. Did their boarding passes reflect the MCE seats? If so, it should be a pretty easy conversation with whoever informed them of their new seats (e.g. the GA), particularly on an emptier plane, to get those seats - or other MCE seats - back… and if they couldn’t because of W&B, they’d tell you.

Last edited by javabytes; Nov 26, 2022 at 12:22 pm
Old Nov 26, 2022, 12:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Did he try to change the seat back on the app (assuming it wasn't yet under gate control)? Did he ask the gate agent what happened?
He was already on the plane when this happened (when they told him to move seats), so he didn't want to risk losing his seat by trying to change once boarded. He asked the flight attendant, and they said "it is because the plane is a A321neo." Wonder if they could have had a plane swap and then swap back and the seats got thrown off? He did mention other people were also moved and some people were pushing back about it and they were threatening to kick them off a plane for making a disturbance. Lovely way to start a vacation to Hawaii!
Old Nov 26, 2022, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by american2020
He was already on the plane when this happened (when they told him to move seats), so he didn't want to risk losing his seat by trying to change once boarded. He asked the flight attendant, and they said "it is because the plane is a A321neo." Wonder if they could have had a plane swap and then swap back and the seats got thrown off? He did mention other people were also moved and some people were pushing back about it and they were threatening to kick them off a plane for making a disturbance. Lovely way to start a vacation to Hawaii!
What’s the route or flight number? That will help with ascertaining whether there were equipment swaps.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Ah - then my $ is on W&B if it was a relatively empty flight. Years ago, we had to do this all the time on the PHL-SEA flights I took every week when the planes were relatively empty. At that time, the crew let everyone move back to their original seats after takeoff.
DiamondMile and onanisland like this.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 1:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Flight is LAX-LIH (# 265). My guess was W&B as well since the moves were taking place once boarded, but especially since some of the other passengers moved were making a stink about it, I'm surprised they wouldn't just announce that as the reason so people know why they can't sit next to their family members!
Old Nov 26, 2022, 2:45 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Happened to us 2 weeks ago on LIH-LAX. We were lucky because the pilot intervened and said that he would allow us to return to our seats after takeoff (W&B is MOSTLY a take-off and landing issue). FAs told us that we were lucky, because normally if a seat is unavailable it can't be used during the flight, but this captain authorized.
jagoffee and trooper like this.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flight is LAX-LIH (# 265). My guess was W&B as well since the moves were taking place once boarded, but especially since some of the other passengers moved were making a stink about it, I'm surprised they wouldn't just announce that as the reason so people know why they can't sit next to their family members!
Well it wasn’t an eqp swap. Same tail number as originally assigned.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 10:32 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's input. I got an update once my friend landed and as many suspected, they eventually did reveal the musical chairs was due to w&b purposes. And unlike the poster above, they didn't allow passengers to change seats once airborne. It's interesting they chose several of the MCE passengers to be the ones to move, which led to some minor drama of a gate agent having to get on the plane and threaten to boot one of the MCE passengers if he wouldn't move. In the end no one was booted and everyone made it to Hawaii, albeit slightly more uncomfortably.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 2:52 am

They moved him from row 9 to 13 and said they would refund his MCE fee (very generous since he paid $0 for them).
I wouldn't be too optimistic on this one to receive free money, I assume they mean that if he paid for it, they would issue a refund for the transaction. Being that there was no transaction i assume no refund will be forthcoming.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 6:54 am

The A321 NEO has some flight instability issues with the stretch and heavier engines. (Like the MAX). The fix is a reduced CG envelope. Specifically the issue is a bigger threat on landing hence not allowing seat changes airborne. Flight law changes were written to offset the NEO changes but the new flight laws introduced a pitch instability in a go around situation. Generally this is a aft CG situation but the CG range is more restricted forward also. In the 727 and MD80 days CG could also be a factor but many airlines kept sandbags to load to correct the situation. Delta airlines was sometimes joked about as the largest hauler of sand in the US!

https://leehamnews.com/2019/07/19/bj...itch-up-issue/
rayfes, PurdueFlyer and Uzzar like this.

Last edited by Jeff767; Nov 27, 2022 at 7:01 am
Old Nov 27, 2022, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the plane was that empty then I assume nearly everyone who wanted an empty middle seat could have had one, no? That’s much preferred for me than a couple extra inches of legroom.
Uzzar likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2022, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Jeff767
The A321 NEO has some flight instability issues with the stretch and heavier engines. (Like the MAX).
Great, another plane to avoid.
ijgordon and DenverBrian like this.
Old Nov 28, 2022, 2:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2022 Titanium
Originally Posted by vasantn
Great, another plane to avoid.
After my last A319 flight I would jump at a flight on an A321. :/

Yuck. I forgot how much I hate those birds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.