Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What’s a good value for trip using miles to SIN in Polaris?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2022, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum

The cheapest one-way I can find to SIN in Polaris at any time is 180K. Looking at round trip cash prices on Google Flights around my dates in March are $10K+ on United, $8K+ on other StarAlliance, and not much better closer in, either.

So what do people consider a good one-way redemption of miles in Polaris for SIN?
rt23456p likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 3:36 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by gusd
The cheapest one-way I can find to SIN in Polaris at any time is 180K. Looking at round trip cash prices on Google Flights around my dates in March are $10K+ on United, $8K+ on other StarAlliance, and not much better closer in, either.

So what do people consider a good one-way redemption of miles in Polaris for SIN?
you may find a saver fare for 70-100k on occasion, but pent up travel demand will take some time to go away.

If you value United miles at $.02/mile then anything over $3600 each way is good. The points guy values them at $.0127 based on avg across many data points. I personally schedule my trips around saver fares as much as I can to maximize value.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 3:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The cheapest one-way I can find to SIN in Polaris at any time is 180K. Looking at round trip cash prices on Google Flights around my dates in March are $10K+ on United, $8K+ on other StarAlliance, and not much better closer in, either. ..
The cash price is being distorted due to OW purchase. This does tend to be a case where award flight make more sense

If not an optional trip and partner options (1-stop) aren't better, then it comes down to which means less to you -- the cash or miles,

You can do better else with the miles elsewhere but if it must be SIN and no other options exists, then go ahead --- but watch the cash and award prices -- perhaps a better deal will show up

Also consider atlernative to the SFO-SIN non-stop such as thru NRT, TPE, ...
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The cash price is being distorted due to OW purchase.
The quoted cash prices above are for round trip out of CLE.

If not an optional trip and partner options (1-stop) aren't better, then it comes down to which means less to you -- the cash or miles,

You can do better else with the miles elsewhere but if it must be SIN and no other options exists, then go ahead --- but watch the cash and award prices -- perhaps a better deal will show up
Unfortunately not optional, and out of CLE, so already a 1-stop. Also, as it's next year, now I'd prefer to redeem miles on UA rather than partners, so I can earn some PQP. But I'm not seeing better options on 2-stop itineraries involving partners, either.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
If you have to fly United (or *A), then you are stuck with what's being offered.

If you are willing to try out other options, then perhaps there may be cheaper options in terms of required points/miles.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
I would pay $2,000 RT and use 60K miles + maybe $1000 co-pay for upgrade if available.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 6:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I personally would go for SQ at 100k AS or either 107k (saver) or 128k (advantage) KF. But if the RT cash fare is $10k, 180k UA is still 2.7 cpm, which is not a bad redemption.
SPN Lifer and gusd like this.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kb1992
I would pay $2,000 RT and use 60K miles + maybe $1000 co-pay for upgrade if available.
I wish 😁 I have PlusPoints that I could use, but with UA selling only C and maybe D, chances of clearing as a Platinum to SIN are zero.

Originally Posted by Kacee
But if the RT cash fare is $10k, 180k UA is still 2.7 cpm, which is not a bad redemption.
Thanks. Most of my TATL redemptions usually hover around the 2cpm mark

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 25, 2022 at 7:09 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 25, 2022, 6:18 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Thanks. Most of my TATL redemptions usually hover around the 2cpm mark
I'm actually surprised UA is not more directly tying the JN award prices to the cash fares. While it's not the good old days of 55k saver J awards to Europe, there's still significant value in JN awards in the 120-180k range when UA's only selling D or higher.
SPN Lifer, gusd and Fly2Connect like this.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 7:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kb1992
Good luck as a non-GS/non-1K for SFO-SIN
Old Nov 25, 2022, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Before the pandemic, I was often able to find PZ space available to SIN at booking 4-5 months out. Not anymore.
restlessinRNO and tcdtcd like this.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bigshooter
you may find a saver fare for 70-100k on occasion, but pent up travel demand will take some time to go away.

If you value United miles at $.02/mile then anything over $3600 each way is good. The points guy values them at $.0127 based on avg across many data points. I personally schedule my trips around saver fares as much as I can to maximize value.
\
Be careful on the 70-100K trips a LOT of time they are US-> japan -> SIN and the japan -> SIN is in economy and that is 8 hours of flight
Old Nov 26, 2022, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
UA to SIN is insane. Consider routing via Canada for MUCH lower fares. I just booked a o/w yesterday for $2600
Old Nov 26, 2022, 8:29 am

Before the pandemic, I was often able to find PZ space available to SIN at booking 4-5 months out. Not anymore.
LAX-SIN was an upgrade bonanza while it lasted.
gusd and bluedemon211 like this.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Is there a second SFO-SIN flight now?

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
\
Be careful on the 70-100K trips a LOT of time they are US-> japan -> SIN and the japan -> SIN is in economy and that is 8 hours of flight
While I could survive NRT-HKG in Y, I would refuse to fly NRT-SIN in Y.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.