Wiki Posts
Search

OneUp bids

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2022, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ
OneUp bids

Just booked my first long haul flight since COVID to the UK for July next year. Looking to make a Oneup bid for an upgrade. Is there any point doing it now? The bid rage is quite reasonable, but could it change between now and July, making my bid too low?
Old Oct 2, 2022, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by KopikoFlyer
Just booked my first long haul flight since COVID to the UK for July next year. Looking to make a Oneup bid for an upgrade. Is there any point doing it now? The bid rage is quite reasonable, but could it change between now and July, making my bid too low?
Don’t overthink this. It’s a lottery in any case.

OneUp bids rank below Recognition Upgrades for Elites/Golds/Silver - and they are proving difficult to clear as premium cabins are selling out. You can change your OneUp bid if you want…
Old Oct 2, 2022, 6:41 pm

Bidding early could help as if two bids for same amount from same status guess they will take the earlier one.

To increase slim chances think about the day of travel. Mid week flights often have lower loadings and avoid school holidays. Remember there are school holidays in July.
KopikoFlyer likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by nzkarit
Bidding early could help as if two bids for same amount from same status guess they will take the earlier one.

To increase slim chances think about the day of travel. Mid week flights often have lower loadings and avoid school holidays. Remember there are school holidays in July.
I would expect the higher fare class to prevail for a OneUp bid if other factors are equal, which of course is contrary to the OP buying a cheap fare early.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 3:36 pm

It's safe to say if you really want the upgrade to just pay the money. With loadings as they are, you will be very lucky to get any OneUp upgrade.
Thai-Kiwi, KopikoFlyer and Beano like this.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 3:03 am

Programs: NZ Silver A3 Gold Qantas Gold Accor Platinum
Now that AINZ dropped the AKL/LON means bit of a lottery with them and premium seats are outrageous price wise. Looking outside the square works. Managed to get self and other half from Auckland to Budapest PE for self and other half for NZD 2400 each Aug 23 each all star alliance. One way of course
Old Nov 1, 2022, 8:07 am

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton and regular member of everything else
I’m traveling with a group of 3 in early Jan. AKL-IAH on PE. Should I even bother with one up? Between us being 3 people and it being the end of (northern) winter holidays would we even have a chance?
Old Nov 1, 2022, 8:19 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Don’t overthink this. It’s a lottery in any case.

OneUp bids rank below Recognition Upgrades for Elites/Golds/Silver - and they are proving difficult to clear as premium cabins are selling out. You can change your OneUp bid if you want…
And GE APD upgrades.
As you say though, it is a lottery and you never know. Chances about the same as a lottery!
Old Nov 1, 2022, 8:21 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mlbcard
I’m traveling with a group of 3 in early Jan. AKL-IAH on PE. Should I even bother with one up? Between us being 3 people and it being the end of (northern) winter holidays would we even have a chance?
As Thai-Kiwi said, it is a lottery.
I would bid the maximum you are comfortable playing but have zero expectations.
Before being GE I was successful a couple of time with One Up but as a solo passenger.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.