Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does data privacy equal no common sense?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2022, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Does data privacy equal no common sense?

An observation, and a bit of a rant.

I’ve had several interactions with the GGL helpline in recent weeks.

It’s fair that for every new interaction, I’m asked to confirm my name, BAEC number, email address, first line of my address with postcode, and last 4 digits of my saved credit card and expiry date. After all BA is presumably extra cautious after the data breach incident of some years back.

But there was an occasion, while I was mid-conversation with someone, the line got abruptly terminated, I called back right after and spoke to the SAME person (who recognised me immediately, and was fully aware that the line was dropped barely 2 minutes earlier) - yet she required me to go through the rigmarole of repeating the same verification information.

And on another occasion, after hanging up the phone with another person, I noticed that he had typed my email address for a booking incorrectly (even though my email address was recorded correctly in my BAEC account, and I had earlier confirmed that he should use that for all booking related correspondences). So I immediately called back, and got through to the SAME person, who again recognised me (after all we only just spent the past 40 minutes in a conversation to make the booking). He clearly understood that he’s made a typo error - yet required me to go through the same security verification the second time round before he would correct an error - that he had personally made!

Do operational procedures trump common sense these days?
Old Aug 18, 2022, 1:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
It's possible all calls are recorded, and any call recording without identity confirmation could go against the agent if later a complaint were made or it was otherwise pulled for some kind of QA/audit/review.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 1:25 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, BA GGL/CCR,/GFL, A3 Gold, JBU Mosaic, ITA Executive, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
An observation, and a bit of a rant.

I’ve had several interactions with the GGL helpline in recent weeks.

It’s fair that for every new interaction, I’m asked to confirm my name, BAEC number, email address, first line of my address with postcode, and last 4 digits of my saved credit card and expiry date. After all BA is presumably extra cautious after the data breach incident of some years back.

But there was an occasion, while I was mid-conversation with someone, the line got abruptly terminated, I called back right after and spoke to the SAME person (who recognised me immediately, and was fully aware that the line was dropped barely 2 minutes earlier) - yet she required me to go through the rigmarole of repeating the same verification information.

And on another occasion, after hanging up the phone with another person, I noticed that he had typed my email address for a booking incorrectly (even though my email address was recorded correctly in my BAEC account, and I had earlier confirmed that he should use that for all booking related correspondences). So I immediately called back, and got through to the SAME person, who again recognised me (after all we only just spent the past 40 minutes in a conversation to make the booking). He clearly understood that he’s made a typo error - yet required me to go through the same security verification the second time round before he would correct an error - that he had personally made!

Do operational procedures trump common sense these days?
NO. Common sense is not a value of our times. (and not just for poor BA, which wishes these were its bigger issues)
Same grotesque experiences here, over and over. The tedious process is a reason for me being averse to calling, ending up forgetting to even use the jokers, some years
Old Aug 18, 2022, 1:26 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, BA GGL/CCR,/GFL, A3 Gold, JBU Mosaic, ITA Executive, HHonors Diamond
duplicate post

Last edited by IkarosBOS; Aug 18, 2022 at 1:28 am Reason: duplicate
Old Aug 18, 2022, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drwook
It's possible all calls are recorded, and any call recording without identity confirmation could go against the agent if later a complaint were made or it was otherwise pulled for some kind of QA/audit/review.
But surely, if someone audits the call, the agent could “link” the current conversation to a previous one, furthermore it would’ve been obvious from the conversation itself that it’s a continuation of a conversation between the same people within a short space of time.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 1:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
But surely, if someone audits the call, the agent could “link” the current conversation to a previous one, furthermore it would’ve been obvious from the conversation itself that it’s a continuation of a conversation between the same people within a short space of time.
BA has been fined for data protection breaches. I'm quite sure that agents have been firmly instructed to do a full Know Your Client stage at the start of each contact, so there won't be any optionality on this. Can you imagine BA setting out a Work Instruction saying "oh but don't bother with all of the above if the line drops"? Now my telephone system seems a bit more robust than some other FTers, but on the one occasion I had a dropped line, the security questions second time around took a few seconds. Personally this issue is not not a ditch in which I would be prepared to expire.
arf04, PETER01, orbitmic and 11 others like this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 1:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
BA has been fined for data protection breaches. I'm quite sure that agents have been firmly instructed to do a full Know Your Client stage at the start of each contact, so there won't be any optionality on this. Can you imagine BA setting out a Work Instruction saying "oh but don't bother with all of the above if the line drops"? Now my telephone system seems a bit more robust than some other FTers, but on the one occasion I had a dropped line, the security questions second time around took a few seconds. Personally this issue is not not a ditch in which I would be prepared to expire.
It’s silly from a customer experience point of view. Systems dictating behaviour, instead of designing systems and customer experience that work with the intended spirit of the policy.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 1:51 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
It time they came up with a better system but I am full behind GDPR and data protection. The pressure should be to provide a system that is both secure and customer focused.

data protection protect me and I am grateful for it
arf04 and MatJarosz like this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 2:09 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by binman
It time they came up with a better system but I am full behind GDPR and data protection. The pressure should be to provide a system that is both secure and customer focused.

data protection protect me and I am grateful for it
Agreed. I don’t like what they do now as I feel I’m gifting too much info to a random on the phone. A better system would be to offer digits from an authentication app.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 2:15 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Personally this issue is not not a ditch in which I would be prepared to expire.
Agreed. Re-doing security after a call-centre line drops is SOP nowadays, so it's really not worth singling out BA for a rant. Rather surprised the OP hasn't encountered this already elsewhere.

I called back right after and spoke to the SAME person (who recognised me immediately, and was fully aware that the line was dropped barely 2 minutes earlier) - yet she required me to go through the rigmarole of repeating the same verification information.
Also bear in mind that your previous session with the agent would have been closed. Secure system design means that some personal information is not made available to the agent until you have 'cleared security' again with them, even if it's obvious who you are.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 2:17 am

It’s silly from a customer experience point of view. Systems dictating behaviour, instead of designing systems and customer experience that work with the intended spirit of the policy.
”common sense” and “spirit of the policy” are demonstrably non-objective, unlearnable, a recipe for inconsistency and inevitably will result in further data breaches.

I do think the process could be smoother but the idea that you don’t need to re-verify is a non-runner. Not least because you are transferring the risk back to the staff member.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 2:27 am

If you ring the DWP pension line more than once you will quickly realise that the security questions are always the same. Don’t do as I did once and answers the question before it’s asked, it will lead to tears and they won’t be one’s of joy!
choosethedrew, T8191 and Tocsin like this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 2:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
I think the lack of common sense with the KYC questions comes when they ask for a heap of personal data to be sent over unsecured email. I am most certainly NOT going to email name, dob, passport number & expiry, address, etc to them.

They should send a link to a secure form where you input that data so they can proceed with your enquiry.
Kgmm77, wrp96, SamYeager and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 3:53 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
”common sense” and “spirit of the policy” are demonstrably non-objective, unlearnable, a recipe for inconsistency and inevitably will result in further data breaches.

I do think the process could be smoother but the idea that you don’t need to re-verify is a non-runner. Not least because you are transferring the risk back to the staff member.
Agree- and I am notoriously anti compliance admin, red tape, bureaucracy etc. but sometimes your damned if you do and damned if you don't and irritating as this no doubt was, I wouldn't be critical of BA here (particularly noting their recent data breach).
Old Aug 18, 2022, 4:29 am

Programs: BAEC
The data protection song and dance is nonsense. The lesson here is that if you want to modify, cancel or upgrade your cousin's colleagues' sister's former roommate's booking to first class, do it on the web. There you only need PNR and last name.

It's silly that I can't even just ask a general question unrelated to me or a specific booking on something like avios availibility on a given flight without giving a load of silly information. I once had to go through data protection 3 times on the same call: 1. to get the ball rolling and make changes to booking, 2. againwhen I got called back and 3. again on the call back to use a voucher that was attached to my name and BAEC number. This is a major reason that wait times have been so insane these last months, although things haave certainly gotten better lately.
jpezaris and carrotjuice like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.