Wiki Posts
Search

HPN-BOS starting 10/6?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2022, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
HPN-BOS starting 10/6?

Wow - just found this on Google Flights! Looks like Monday-Friday to start expanding to weekends in November. The route is being flown by Republic using E170/175s.

Really surprised to see this route, I don't remember the last time Boston was served from White Plains. Anyone know the reason why this route is coming back? I _think_ this was a US Air or AA route but I don't remember.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 10:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This seems like a business oriented route. I would expect high yields, especially if it's timed right. Of course, this is predicated on business travel coming back.

I wonder whether there's a corporate travel contract involved. IBM would be an obvious one (Watson Research Center, but it's a small part of IBM).
Old Aug 11, 2022, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH Diamond, peasant elsewhere
I flew that route a few times back in 2004 on CO Express and US Express, operated with a B1900. HPN is one of the easiest airports to fly from, but I'd imagine Acela to/from Stamford is pretty competitive, time-wise, depending of course on your final destination.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 6:42 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I also flew that route in 2007 on Colgan Air (US Express) and as I recall, there were 5 passengers (including me) on a 19 seat B1900 on a Friday night. I'm assuming DL has data that suggests they can reasonably fill a 70-ish seat airplane on regular basis on this route, but it's hard to see this route beating people driving between the two areas.

Last edited by LoganFlyer; Aug 11, 2022 at 6:51 pm
Old Aug 11, 2022, 7:15 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Was announced along with cuts on Tuesday. It makes sense as Delta builds BOS TATL. And also potentially will connect to caribbean routes as less out of the way then DTW/ATL. I don't think a shot at Breeze before it expands at HPN, since most of Breeze's destinations are served just as easily through DTW and ATL.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by JALsnipe
Wow - just found this on Google Flights! Looks like Monday-Friday to start expanding to weekends in November. The route is being flown by Republic using E170/175s.

Really surprised to see this route, I don't remember the last time Boston was served from White Plains. Anyone know the reason why this route is coming back? I _think_ this was a US Air or AA route but I don't remember.
I'm banking on this being some kind of squatting due to HPN's noise abandonment stuff.

anyone know if Delta is back to pre-COIVD levels on its other HPN routes (I think its just ATL/DTW)? I just don't see what the ~150mile route offers.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 5:25 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
I used to live in Stamford, and I don't quite get this route. If you already live in Westchester or Fairfield, then you're already that much closer to Boston than LGA/JFK, and I can't see how it'd save you that much time to go through the effort of going to HPN, getting there at least early enough for security/boarding, and then having to get from BOS to wherever you're going in the Boston area.

From a connections perspective, if you're close enough where you'd consider HPN and you're going to fly TATL or the Caribbean via BOS, then you'd just drive to JFK (or EWR, if you're considering non-DL) - it's certainly quicker and less of a wild card, even with traffic, than adding another segment, connection time, delays, etc.

I had a similar reaction to BDL-LGA, with BDL now being my home airport. I don't quite get it.

Ostensibly DL did their homework, but this one's a head-scratcher.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 5:28 am

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
I'm banking on this being some kind of squatting due to HPN's noise abandonment stuff.

anyone know if Delta is back to pre-COIVD levels on its other HPN routes (I think its just ATL/DTW)? I just don't see what the ~150mile route offers.
Exactly.

The opportunity cost of starting this route would not outweigh the opportunity cost from other routes that could use the same resources. (Pilots/FAs/Aircraft).

Probably a double win. Squat at HPN for future use, operate a short flight with quick turns that minimizes crew block time, and basically utilize 3 slot pairs. It also creates more DL gate usage at BOS as well, which can be used to further justify expanded future OPs there.
Dawgfan6291 likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 5:50 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Funny - I recently moved to Fairfield (Stamford) and I am booking a trip to BOS for a work trip in September... I would consider this route

1) In terms of departure, LGA is 45 minutes away for me in the morning, HPN is 28-30 minutes, so less savings in terms of time than you may think. Getting back in the afternoon, it may make more sense to do HPN. But LGA (and JFK at certain times) isn't that inaccessible to Fairfield County for many. Obviously can be very different for people in Westchester Country proper.

2) Acela is a competitor, but is more expensive. Right now the BOS flights cost $104 main, $154 first (upgrades could be easy on this route). Acela is reliably $189 or so each way for me.

4) Boston isn't that close by train or car. Stamford to BOS on Acela is 3 hours. Many could probably do this trip quicker via plane than train.

4) Historically it is pretty easy for me to get from Boston Airport to locations in Boston, not really any easier to get from train station. I am usually from the airport to my hotel/meeting in under 10 minutes from the airport.

5) Fair alternative to those that want to connect TATL, I guess. For those not driving to airport, getting dropped off / pickup or Uber will be much cheaper / more convenient at HPN than JFK. Fewer and fewer people are driving to airports themselves these days.

I could see it working, though slot squatting could also be a consideration. Personally I would be biased to Acela if prices are comparable due to ease of access to Stamford train station for me, but I could see it working for others further away from a train stop.

Last edited by Adelphos; Aug 12, 2022 at 6:00 am
Old Aug 12, 2022, 6:08 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Cory6188

From a connections perspective, if you're close enough where you'd consider HPN and you're going to fly TATL or the Caribbean via BOS, then you'd just drive to JFK (or EWR, if you're considering non-DL) - it's certainly quicker and less of a wild card, even with traffic, than adding another segment, connection time, delays, etc.
I think Breeze's entry into HPN suggests that there is a decent size market of people who don't want to drive the hour to JFK. I also think it's probably a personal preference to drive an hour to JFK for a nonstop versus connect in BOS. HPN is also a lot easier airport to navigate and that's worth a lot for some people. I know for me that I am often faced with a connection out of DCA or a nonstop out of IAD (which is more convenient to me than JFK is for most of Westchester), and the stop out of DCA usually wins. Heck there are people in NY who rather connect out of LGA rather than go down to JFK!

I do also wonder if changes in WFH trends play a role. If you live in Chappaqua and worked in the office in Manhattan and could hop over to LGA for business travel, and work from home now, there's a value in now heading to HPN.
Adelphos and ohhleary like this.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 6:19 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Adam1222
I think Breeze's entry into HPN suggests that there is a decent size market of people who don't want to drive the hour to JFK. I also think it's probably a personal preference to drive an hour to JFK for a nonstop versus connect in BOS. HPN is also a lot easier airport to navigate and that's worth a lot for some people. I know for me that I am often faced with a connection out of DCA or a nonstop out of IAD (which is more convenient to me than JFK is for most of Westchester), and the stop out of DCA usually wins. Heck there are people in NY who rather connect out of LGA rather than go down to JFK!

I do also wonder if changes in WFH trends play a role. If you live in Chappaqua and worked in the office in Manhattan and could hop over to LGA for business travel, and work from home now, there's a value in now heading to HPN.
Fair enough, that makes sense. I guess with ATC delays being such a headache in the NYC area, I'd always default to whatever is the path of least resistance when it comes to additional connections, since it just adds another chance for something to get derailed, but I can certainly appreciate the sentiment.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 7:04 am

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Banker day trip

Could imagine this being an experiment to see if there are enough Westchester/Fairfield County bankers that would make a day trip to Boston.

Pre-financial crisis I worked at Bank of America; NYC based — but the Wealth Management division was HQ in Boston. At least 4-6x/month I’d make a LGA-BOS-LGA day trip. 6/7am shuttle up, 7/8pm back. Cheap corporate rates negotiated on US.

It was common to see folks from BNY Mellon/State Street/Wellington/(what is now Santander)/MassMutual, etc. — and the NY based folks trying to do business with them.

Maybe there looking at scenarios like this — plus the 2nd order benefit of gate squatting.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 7:05 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Adelphos
5) Fair alternative to those that want to connect TATL, I guess. For those not driving to airport, getting dropped off / pickup or Uber will be much cheaper / more convenient at HPN than JFK. Fewer and fewer people are driving to airports themselves these days.
TATL BOS premium fares are usually significantly lower than JFK routes. Wonder if this will hold up with the connection from HPN?
Old Aug 12, 2022, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by kavok
Exactly.

The opportunity cost of starting this route would not outweigh the opportunity cost from other routes that could use the same resources. (Pilots/FAs/Aircraft).

Probably a double win. Squat at HPN for future use, operate a short flight with quick turns that minimizes crew block time, and basically utilize 3 slot pairs. It also creates more DL gate usage at BOS as well, which can be used to further justify expanded future OPs there.
yep we are on the same page. Its the easiest way to squat at HPN and doesn't really eat into DCI's staffing issues all that bad, at least not compared to extra DTW/ATL or new service to another Delta hub.

give it a year or so and i'd be shocked if this one sticks.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 7:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
An old Delta BEX route. But with much nicer equipment this time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.