Old Oct 17, 2022, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mrp Alert
Schedule is Subject to Change Without Notice

FRIDAY OCTOBER 21ST

4pm - 8pm
Registration Desk Open

5:30pm - 6pm
Welcome to Chicago Seminars & Tips on a Successful Event (Stefan Krasowski / Rapid Travel Chai) - An Introduction to the Chicago Seminars, some tips on how to get the most out of the weekend and an open forum to ask any event-related questions.

6:15pm - 7:15pm
Living in Hotels Full-Time On $500 A Week (Ashley McCurdy / In Search Of Traveler) - Digital nomad, Ashley McCurdy, caught the internet's attention in 2020 by staying 103 nights at Marriott properties for $4356, which includes properties like the Ritz Carlton in Cancun & W in Midtown Atlanta. Join Ashley as she takes a walk down memory lane and shares the strategies she used over the past two years which have allowed her to travel, eat, explore, and live in hotels full-time for $500/week.

Cruising and Theme Parks (Todd & Kristin Evans / Disability Parenting)

7:30pm - 8:30pm
Award programs you shouldn't ignore: Transfer partner sweet spots from each major transferable currency (Nick Reyes / Frequent Miler)
-or-
Points, Miles, Loyalty Programs, and Credit Cards 101 (Chris Carley / Eye of the Flyer) - Are you confused or intimidated about the world of points, miles, credit cards, and loyalty programs? Don’t worry -- help is on the way! Chris Carley from Eye of the Flyer loves introducing people to this exciting hobby. He breaks down the basics and keeps things as simple as possible -- so even the timidest rookies become comfortable.

SATURDAY OCTOBER 22ND

8am - 12pm - Registration Desk Open

8:30am - 9:30am
3 Cards 3 Continents: Sweet spots leveraged and lessons learned planning a dream trip with 3 credit card bonuses (Frequent Miler Team)
-or-
Travel Photography Panel (Scott Carmichael / Scott's Gear and Andy Luten)

9:30am - 10:15am
How to Be a MS Whale as Told by a MS Minnow (Stefan Krasowski / Rapid Travel Chai)
-or-
Cancel and Rebook: Flights, Hotels, and Rental Cars (Grant Thomas / Travel With Grant) – Just because you booked your trip, doesn’t mean you got the best deal. Use these tips to find cheaper and better prices.

10:15am - 11:15am
How to Book Round the World Awards (Greg Davis-Kean / Frequent Miler)
-or-
Special needs travel (Todd & Kristin Evans / Disability Parenting)

11:15am - 12p
Tip and Tools I Use to Fly Around the World (JT Genter / AwardWallet) – From finding award availability to getting notice about schedule changes and cancellations, here's an overview of the tools and tricks that I use in my everyday travels.
-or-
Excel in Your Sheets: Organizing Your Gift Card Reselling (Logan Robinson, Erik Peterson, & Ravi Davuluri / Aligned Incentives) – Gift card reselling is a popular way to manufacture spend. We'll share the tips and advice we wish we had when we started almost a decade ago, from how to create a well-organized spreadsheet to how to best store and organize your physical inventory.

12pm - 1pm – Lunch

1pm - 4:30pm – Airline and Lodging Mini-Conferences

AIRLINE ROOM
1pm - 2pm
Party of five: How to find and book airline awards for larger groups, including international business class (Jason Steele / CardCon) – Bloggers make it look easy to galavant around the world in business class, because it is for singles and couples. But what if you are traveling with five people or more? I'll show you how.
2pm - 3pm
AA Loyalty Games: Shortcuts to elite status without flying (Katie Genter / The Points Guy)
3pm - 3:45pm
Hacking Airline Elite Status (JT Genter / AwardWallet) – Long gone are the days of going on mileage runs to earn airline elite status, right? Well, not on all airlines. Here are the tricks I use to get elite status without paying tens of thousands of dollars.
3:45pm - 4:30pm
The British are Coming! Why More Americans are Joining British Frequent Flyer Programs (Marty Paz) Tired of American Frequent Flyer Program disadvantages with peso per mile valuations? Marty will introduce you to 2 British Frequent Flyer Programs and demonstrate how they outperform their domestic counterparts.
-or-
HOTEL ROOM
1pm - 2pm
30+ Ways to Save on Hotel Stays (Stephen Pepper / No Home Just Roam) - Stephen has lived in hotels & Airbnbs in the US for the last 5 years, spending an average of $37 per night. Here's how he does it.
2pm - 3pm
Break the Chains: Lesser-Known Programs And Vacation Rentals (Dia Adams / Forbes Advisor) – Choice, Wyndham and Best Western, oh my! Unlock the potential of these less-loved programs and see where their surprisingly expanded footprints can take you. And when you need room to breathe, learn about how to use those points for vacation rentals.
3pm - 3:45pm
Hotel Status is More Important Than Airline Status (Ben Komenkul / Ben's Big Deal)
3:45pm - 4:30pm
Vacasa Vacation Rentals (Grant Thomas / Travel With Grant) – Do you find yourself often need more space than a single hotel room affords, or the price of a hotel is insane, or you just don't want to stay in a cookie cutter place -- vacation rentals can help with all of these.

4:30pm - 5:30pm
What It's Like to be a Digital Nomad (moderated by Marty Paz, not a nomad mostly an expat) – Four Chicago Seminars speakers are digital nomads: JT & Katie Genter, Ashley McCurdy, Chris Moss, and Stephen Pepper. Get all of your questions answered about how they do it and what you can learn from their travels.
-or-
Non Rev - Good, Bad, Ugly (Dave / Bikeguy) – A peek behind the curtain of those seats that get filled at the last minute by airline employees, their friends, family, and buddies.

5:30pm - 6:15pm – All Speaker Panel (moderated by Stefan Krasowski / Rapid Travel Chai)

6:15pm - 7pm – Hallway discussions while ballroom is set up for reception

7pm - 8pm – Happy Hour / Reception in Woodfield Ballroom

SUNDAY OCTOBER 23RD

8am - 9am
Alternatives to Manufactured Spending (Aaron Hurd) - If your methods of manufactured spending have dried up and you are looking for creative ways to generate credit card spending at scale, this is a must-attend session. In this session, I will share how I generate over $750,000 in natural spending every year, mostly without leaving my office and without touching a single money order. This session covers buyers groups, ticket buying, bulk gift card sales and fuel points. I'll share the methods I use, my experiences with different partners and the mistakes along the way. I will also highlight risks and best practices.
-or-
Beyond London, Paris and Rome: How to Choose a Destination (Dia Adams / Forbes Advisor) - The most important travel decision you make is often the one that gets the least thought: where to go. Break out of the bloggers' circuit and let the experience you want guide you to the perfect destination. Dia thinks outside of the box without compromising quality and helps you spend your money perhaps where you'd rather see it go.

9am - 10am
Open Panel Discussion on Credit Cards (moderated by Stefan Krasowski / Rapid Travel Chai)
-or-
Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Saving Money on Rental Cars (Jason Steele / CardCon) – With free airfare and hotels, the award traveler's biggest expense is usually a rental car. Jason will teach you how to shrink those rental car bills, with a little help from Marty Paz, the "King of Rental Cars."

10am - 11am
Ask Us Anything with Frequent Miler (Frequent Miler Team) – You've got questions The Frequent Miler team has answers.
-or-
How Technology has Shaped Travel: Past and Present (Scott Carmichael / Scott's Gear)

11am - 12pm
Chat with Julian Kheel of CNN Underscored about E-Commerce Review Sites (moderated by Stefan Krasowski / Rapid Travel Chai)
-or-
Why Chase and American Credit Cards Are All I Need as a Family Traveler (Ben Komenkul / Ben's Big Deal)

12pm - 1pm – Lunch and charity raffle

1pm - 2pm – Airline Breakouts – Large roundtable discussions for major airline programs - Pick your favorite airline/alliance and participate in an informal discussion (AA/Oneworld, Delta/SkyTeam, United/Star Alliance, Others)

2pm - 3pm – Hotel & Specialty Breakouts – Large roundtable discussions for major hotel programs (IHG, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton) and specialty topics (destinations, adventure travel, families, special needs)

3pm - 4pm – Event Closing & Open Panel on Everything Else Moderated by Stefan Krasowski / Rapid Travel Chai
Print Wikipost

OFFICIAL - 12th Chicago Seminars - October 21-23, 2022

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2022, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
OFFICIAL - 12th Chicago Seminars - October 21-23, 2022

Welcome to Chicago Seminars 2022.

When: October 21-23, 2022. Registration opens Friday at 4 pm, with sessions kicking off at 5:30 pm. Early starts and full days Saturday and Sunday. Saturday evening includes a happy hour at the host hotel.

Where: Holiday Inn Chicago-Elk Grove, 1000 Busse Rd, Elk Grove Village, IL 60007. (847) 437-6010

Ticketing:
  1. Purchase ticket at EventBrite here.
  2. Complete the attendee badge form with your conversation starter badge info. If you do not submit the form your badge will only display your name.
  3. Optional - book the host hotel direct at IHG/hotel website with group discount code CSS. There is a booking issue today 10/4/22 that we are working through and will update as soon as new rooms released and booking is working again.
What's Included?
  • Access to conference sessions
  • Coffee / snack breaks
  • Lunch Saturday and Sunday
  • Happy hour Saturday night
What's Not Included?
  • The virtual pass that doesn't exist
  • Breakfasts - these are only included for those booking the group rate at the host hotel
  • Dinners - a way to make friends is go out with a group and hand someone cash to let them have the credit card swipe
Questions? Please send general inquiries to [email protected]

First-time? See ​​​​SkiAdcock's thoughts & tips for those attending the Chicago Seminars event for the first time.

Last edited by RapidTravelChai; Oct 4, 2022 at 11:18 am
Old Aug 8, 2022, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

READ and ACCEPT - Participation Requirements

We are still amidst a global pandemic. The situation and consideration of hosting this event will be monitored up to the event. Attendance is not an entitlement or forum for political statement.

Federal, state, and local regulations provide the minimum guidelines for the event.

This is a community event that has thrived for a decade grown from goodwill and care for each other. For that spirit to continue, that may mean some personal accommodation on event precautions that you may personally feel to inconvenience you or you feel to be unnecessary. Please, instead, focus on the joy we all have of being together in person. The participation requirements are intended to provide an event that best accommodates the widest range of our community.

By purchasing a ticket, you agree to follow the event Participation Requirements, which will adapt up to and including the event:
  • Mask policy - at this time, there is no requirement to wear a mask. Should the situation significantly change, this policy will be revisited. Should federal, state, or local regulations change to require masking, this event will do so. 'Mask shaming' those who are masking will result in immediate removal from the event with no refund.
  • Vaccine policy - you must be fully vaccinated and up to date for COVID-19, as CDC guidelines as of August 1, 2022.
  • Testing policy - we recommend you self-test prior to traveling to the event, as a consideration to fellow attendees. This is not a requirement. Attendees visibly ill will be required to self-quarantine away from the event, and provide a negative test result if wishing to re-join the event.
  • Good conduct policy - social distancing and similar policies will be adjusted as the situation evolves. You will conduct yourself at the event in a spirit of civility in line with the conduct required by the organizers and on-site volunteers.
  • No chargeback policy - this is a charity event and has operated since inception on a no refunds policy. If the event cancels due to pandemic considerations, your ticket will be used to cover event costs to the degree they cannot be waived, with the balance, as with prior events, going to the designated charities. If you purchase a ticket and your plans change, regulations prevent you from traveling, or you decide you cannot meet these participation requirements, there will be no refund. If, at the event, you violate the participation requirements, you will be required to immediately depart the event, and there will be no refund. In all cases, you will not make a credit card chargeback for your event ticket. Should you file a chargeback you will be banned from attending future Chicago Seminars events. Be happy that the event charities will benefit from your graciousness, even if you find yourself in that position from lack of graciousness. Ticket transfers will be allowed up to October 18, 2022, email the organizers with the ticket transfer request details at: [email protected].
  • No recording of sessions - the no recording policy allows open discussions and respects the hard work of speakers. Anyone found to be recording (video, audio, or otherwise, that includes photos of every slide, etc) will be removed from the event with no refund. Exceptions only if a speaker gives explicitly up-front permission for some form of recording.
We have a decade of successful events that have built friendships and raised tens of thousands of dollars for worthy charities. We look forward to our second decade together. We thank you for your understanding. This will be another great event for our community.
silver springer likes this.

Last edited by RapidTravelChai; Sep 28, 2022 at 11:50 am
Old Aug 8, 2022, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Hotel Booking Information

Update 10/20/22: there are a few room block rooms available for Friday 10/21 and Saturday 10/22. These are not bookable online. These are not bookable through IHG call center. You must call the hotel and book direct with front desk referencing group code CSS.

Holiday Inn Chicago-Elk Grove, 1000 Busse Rd, Elk Grove Village, IL 60007. (847) 437-6010. The shuttle normally leaves the hotel on the hour and the airport (ORD) on the half hour. Domestic arrivals pick up at Door 2, international arrivals at Door 5E (as of 2019).

Book the host hotel direct at IHG/hotel website with group rate CSS.

Staying at the host hotel is recommended.
silver springer likes this.

Last edited by RapidTravelChai; Oct 20, 2022 at 9:47 pm
Old Aug 8, 2022, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Speakers

Event founder: Rick Ingersoll

Speakers are:
tc fly girl likes this.

Last edited by RapidTravelChai; Oct 20, 2022 at 10:39 pm
Old Aug 8, 2022, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Event Schedule

2022 schedule here.

See the 2019 schedule for a sense of what to expect. Sessions start the Friday evening and go to Sunday afternoon.

Event Schedule Outline:

Friday, October 21st

4:00 pm - 8:00 pm: Registration Desk Open

5:30 pm - 8:30 pm: Welcome to Chicago Seminars & Conference Sessions

Saturday, October 22nd

8:00 am - 12:00 pm: Registration Desk Open

8:30am - 6:00 pm: Conference Sessions

7:00 pm - 8:00 pm: Happy Hour

Sunday, October 23rd

8:00 am - 4:00 pm: Conference Sessions

Last edited by RapidTravelChai; Oct 20, 2022 at 10:07 pm
Old Aug 8, 2022, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Sponsorship Opportunities

Please contact [email protected] with expressions of interest.

Sponsorship is $1,000 and includes:
  • 8' Table near the registration desk
  • 15-minute speaking slot
  • 1 Ticket to event
  • 1 email message to attendees such as to provide a trial or discount offer (all emails sent by Chicago Seminars admin account; attendee email list is not shared with sponsors)
Additional sponsorship opportunities:
  • Contribute raffle prizes
  • Submit your own idea

Last edited by RapidTravelChai; Sep 28, 2022 at 11:50 am
Old Aug 8, 2022, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Charity Raffle & Donations

2022 charity: World Central Kitchen

If you'd like to donate anything to the charity raffle, please contact [email protected]

Things like drink chits, lounge passes, amenity kits, upgrade certificates, etc.

Last edited by RapidTravelChai; Oct 20, 2022 at 10:26 pm
Old Aug 8, 2022, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Volunteer Opportunities

Specific volunteer needs will be posted here.

Alternately, contact [email protected] with your ideas. This is a charity event. We have a group of volunteers that have worked hard for years to steward the event. Non-serious 'volunteering' is not the way to wheedle a free ticket.

We welcome back our veteran volunteers (more to be confirmed):

Last edited by RapidTravelChai; Oct 20, 2022 at 10:40 pm
Old Aug 8, 2022, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Terms and Conditions

GENERAL WAIVER, RELEASE & CONFIDENTIALITY AGREEMENT (THE “AGREEMENT”)

GENERAL WAIVER OF LIABILITY & RELEASE PROVISIONS – I have/will receive(d) certain materials, program information, advice, information and/or services from Elk Grove Village, LLC dba Chicago Seminars 2022, and for other good and valuable consideration, the receipt and sufficiency of which is hereby acknowledged, I hereby agree to waive any and all current and/or future claims and causes of actions against the Elk Grove Village, LLC dba Chicago Seminars 2022 and/or any individual or corporate sponsor (inclusive of any and all officers, directors, employees, agents, and successor and/or predecessor corporations if any) thereof, and/or any speaker or invited guest (together, the “Released Parties”), for any and all physical or pecuniary injuries, incidents, losses, or other occurrences that may befall me during my attendance at the 2022 Chicago Seminars.

I further agree to waive any and all current or future claims and causes of action for economic harm or otherwise, as against the Released Parties, that may arise as a result of my reliance on any program information, procedures, advice, information or services that I may receive from Elk Grove Village, LLC dba Chicago Seminars 2022.

I further agree to hold harmless and to fully indemnify the Released Parties against any claims or causes of action, including claims for contribution, instituted by any third party or otherwise that may arise from my attendance at the 2022 Chicago Seminars.

I further agree to waive any and all future claims and/or causes of action that may arise from my use of the information, advice or services provided by the Released Parties, and to indemnify and save harmless the Released Parties from any and all claims and causes of actions of third parties, including claims for contribution, arising from my reliance on any program, information, procedures, advice, information or services that I may receive from Elk Grove Village, LLC dba Chicago Seminars 2022 at the 2022 Chicago Seminars.

If for any reason, I commence a claim or take any proceeding against any party, which thereafter makes any claim over against or claim contribution and indemnity from the Released Parties, I undertake and covenant to have them dismissed at my own expense with express prejudice to bringing any further claim or other proceeding as against the Released Parties.

I further understand and agree that no warranty of any kind shall be created by the advice or information I receive from any of the Released Parties from Elk Grove Village, LLC dba Chicago Seminars 2022 during the 2022 Chicago Seminars DO, and further agree that I alone am responsible for assessing the utility, accuracy and truthfulness of any advice or information received during the 2022 Chicago Seminars.

I further understand and agree that I may incidentally appear in video and/or photographs taken during the 2022 Chicago Seminars, and that I will not receive compensation of any kind as a result thereof, whether used by the Released Parties for marketing purposes or otherwise.

CONFIDENTIALITY – I further understand and agree that the materials and information provided to me are the property of from Elk Grove Village, LLC dba Chicago Seminars 2022 and/or the Released Parties, and will not be used by me, other than for my personal use, without the express written consent of from Elk Grove Village, LLC dba Chicago Seminars 2022, and that I will take all reasonable steps to keep the materials and information obtained confidential, expressly undertake and covenant to make no copies of the materials and/or to disclose the materials and/or advice, whether for financial gain or otherwise. I fully understand that I may be personally liable to from Elk Grove Village, LLC dba Chicago Seminars 2022 and/or the Released Parties for any unauthorized use of the materials, advice and/or information received at the 2022 Chicago Seminars.

Furthermore, I expressly agree, undertake, and covenant not to record by video, audio, or any other means the material discussed by speakers at the 2022 Chicago Seminars.

GENERAL PROVISIONS – This Agreement shall be binding upon and shall inure to the benefit of the Released Parties, their successors, assigns, and personal representatives.

I expressly agree that this Agreement shall be construed as if written by both myself and the Released Parties, and shall not be construed as against the Released Parties, whether pursuant to the principles of contra proferentem, or otherwise.

I expressly agree that that this Agreement is intended to be as broad and inclusive as permitted by the laws of the State of Illinois and that this Agreement shall be governed by and interpreted in accordance with the laws of the State of Illinois. I expressly agree that in the event that any clause or provision of this Agreement is deemed invalid, the enforceability of the remaining provisions of this Agreement shall not be affected.

LIMITATION OF LIABILITY – I further expressly agree that should an Arbitrator or Court determine that any provision(s) in this Agreement is void, voidable, or unenforceable, and that any of the Released Parties are liable to me for any alleged losses, whether suffered by me, or a third party, that such liability will be limited to the sum of the fee paid by me for my attendance at 2022 Chicago Seminars.

I certify that I am at least eighteen (18) years of age or older, and am mentally competent to execute and enter into this Agreement

I expressly understand that by executing this Agreement that I am affecting my current and future legal rights, and state that I have agreed to execute this Agreement without any duress or coercion.

By selecting "I agree to the above waiver" I expressly acknowledge that I have read, understood and agree to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, including, but not limited to, the General Waiver of Liability and Release provisions, the Confidentiality Clause and the Limitation of Liability Clause, and that I enter into this Agreement willingly and voluntarily.

Last edited by RapidTravelChai; Sep 28, 2022 at 11:42 am
Old Aug 10, 2022, 2:55 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Looking forward to getting back together in person!

Originally Posted by RapidTravelChai
...Ticket transfers will be allowed up to October 14, 2021, email the organizers with the ticket transfer request details at: [email protected]...
Looks like the date above is incorrect.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Fixed, thanks for catching that.

Originally Posted by HPN-HRL
Looks like the date above is incorrect.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 9:31 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
When will ticketing start?
Old Aug 20, 2022, 6:00 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Titanium, Hyatt - Globalist, Hilton - Diamondlat,
When will ticketing be available for this event?

When will ticketing be available for this event? Las message says 8/15 - but its 8/20 already. Thanks
silver springer and Zantaine like this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 5:04 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Originally Posted by eastkr
When will ticketing be available for this event? Las message says 8/15 - but its 8/20 already. Thanks
For several years before Covid, ticketing would not actually be available until weeks after the announced ticketing date. I won't be concerned unless ticketing doesn't happen by Labor Day; my best guess is within the next week or so. RapidTravelChai will post here once all is ready to go.
AzLarry likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 9:51 am

Programs: WN,DL,AA,UA,B6,more!
Just booked my flights! Waiting on tickets and hotel to go on sale and shore up plans!
tc fly girl and katstarr like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.