Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA 84 Vancouver to LHR

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2022, 12:31 am
Original Poster

BA 84 Vancouver to LHR

Can any one tell me why this flight is delayed by 17 hours? Vancouver to LHR BA84
Old Aug 7, 2022, 5:11 am

Programs: BAEC
I believe it was a technical delay initially, but then the crew timed out by the time it was fixed. I presume the flight will now leave with a new crew called off standby.
SxMan and spursdebs like this.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 7:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I am on that flight soon. How much notice did they give you?

YVR is a beautiful airport (too bad about the staffing). However, I wouldn't want to hang around it for any length of time.

PS When are they going to reopen the BA lounges?
Howard Long likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Radtel
PS When are they going to reopen the BA lounges?
The BA lounges at YVR are permanently closed - BA use the Plaza Premium lounge now.
SxMan likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks for replies, it’s my brother who is travelling I offered to find out any info for him.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Genius1
The BA lounges at YVR are permanently closed - BA use the Plaza Premium lounge now.
if the CX lounge is still open I would highly recommend that over Plaza Premium. Pre-Covid they had great food, and a decent drinks selection. Plaza Premium is tiny, and absolute garbage food/drinks.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 2:07 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by quemalo
if the CX lounge is still open I would highly recommend that over Plaza Premium.
Doesn't the CX lounge close at 3:30pm? I though it used to close much earlier than the BA flight left.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Jagboi
Doesn't the CX lounge close at 3:30pm? I though it used to close much earlier than the BA flight left.
Turns out it's closed anyway, so it wouldn't have mattered. I always forget that BA84 is such a late flight, I'm usually on the BA48 or 52 services out of SEA, but sometimes I do need to route via YVR.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Looks like they ended up skipping an entire LHR-YVR-LHR rotation, with today´s flight heading out roughly on schedule. https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...625Z/EGLL/CYVR

BA are having a terrible timing keeping the A380s operational, meaning that you are risking a serious delay every time you are booked to fly on one...
SxMan and squawk like this.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 5:28 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Aeroplan 25k, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by craigthemif
BA are having a terrible timing keeping the A380s operational, meaning that you are risking a serious delay every time you are booked to fly on one...
So glad that I didn't know about this issue (and that it didn't manifest itself) for my return flight aboard a BA A380 in May so that I was able to enjoy my very first time on the A380 in peace Seriously a magnificent piece of engineering when it works properly!
Old Aug 8, 2022, 12:09 am
Original Poster

My brother was coming off an Alaskan cruise, so booked the Pan Pacific hotel for a extra night. It’s over the £200 BA suggest but they can argue with BA when they get back. I’ve told him to keep all receipts and advised him off his EU261 rights. Anything else travel insurance should cover. I think the flight is currently showing a 20 hour delay.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by spursdebs
My brother was coming off an Alaskan cruise, so booked the Pan Pacific hotel for a extra night. It’s over the £200 BA suggest but they can argue with BA when they get back. I’ve told him to keep all receipts and advised him off his EU261 rights. Anything else travel insurance should cover. I think the flight is currently showing a 20 hour delay.
We are on the outbound flight in F later this week. I had noticed that the flight seems to always be delayed, but figured this was good news as would give us more time to enjoy CCR for only 2nd time, but 20 hours might be too much!!!
Old Aug 8, 2022, 2:40 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Genius1
And the Plaza Premium is a pretty dire lounge. I was there last month. Constant queue for food or drinks. They kept running out of glassware. They kept running out of food. Which meant that most people were doubling up on drinks to avoid having to go back and queue for a while. I would try to spend as little time as possible at the airport.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 3:40 am

I have it on good authority that the root cause of the Vancouver delays is as described above - unreliability of the aircraft following their return to service. This is, I have been told (I’ve not specifically checked, but I trust the source), compounded by the fact that the same airframe is used for several days on the trot - so a delay outbound means the following inbound is delayed, then the outbound, and so on. For whatever reason, substituting another airframe isn’t practical. This might explain the decision to cancel one day entirely, described above
Old Aug 9, 2022, 4:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by gms
And the Plaza Premium is a pretty dire lounge. I was there last month. Constant queue for food or drinks. They kept running out of glassware. They kept running out of food. Which meant that most people were doubling up on drinks to avoid having to go back and queue for a while. I would try to spend as little time as possible at the airport.
They have a 4 drink limit, no matter how long you are there. It is by far, the poorest lounge that I have ever been in. Unfortunately (for this reason only), YVR is my home base.

Maybe someone should start a thread on the worst lounges where BA flies

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.