Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Receive gift Gold during Platinum grace?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2022, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Gold [*AG], Finnair Gold [OWS] HHonors Diamond, Hertz Pres Circle

Scenario: I will not be able to re qualify for my Platinum, however during my grace month would it be possible for me to receive a gifted Gold from another Platinum, and if it's possible what would happen to my Platinum status, downgrade iimmediately?
In my particular case the Gold card can only be gifted up until my grace month.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 12:54 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
You will not need it. The soft landing policy will make you drop to Gold after your Plat expires.
GOTBound and Venezuela-Miami like this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 1:13 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by GOTBound
Scenario: I will not be able to re qualify for my Platinum, however during my grace month would it be possible for me to receive a gifted Gold from another Platinum, and if it's possible what would happen to my Platinum status, downgrade iimmediately?
Besides as ffay005 said that there is no need, I don‘t see AY+ having a grace period like SK EB does. I know that it is stated in the app, but I am quite sure it ends before.
GOTBound likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Gold [*AG], Finnair Gold [OWS] HHonors Diamond, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by ffay005
You will not need it. The soft landing policy will make you drop to Gold after your Plat expires.
Originally Posted by Jainzar
Besides as ffay005 said that there is no need, I don‘t see AY+ having a grace period like SK EB does. I know that it is stated in the app, but I am quite sure it ends before.
Great thank's. I was under the impression there where no soft landing in the Finnair Plus program, more instant downgrade to the level of earned status miles, e.g if I'm not pass the Gold threshold I will not be Gold next year?
Jainzar yes, it a bit confusing the app says my year end month 12 but I'll keep my benefits month 13.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 2:43 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Data point: a friend of mine's tracking periond ended 31/7 but he's Gold benefits seem to be still valid at least for AY flights. In booking shows Finnair Gold and in BP it says lounge invitation so at least with AY flight it actually seems to work.

I will try to gift him also a Gold card during grace period next week so I can also update whether that works (should) and try to remember update it here.
Jainzar and GOTBound like this.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 6:08 am

Programs: AY LUMO
would it be possible for me to receive a gifted Gold from another Platinum, and if it's possible what would happen to my Platinum status, downgrade iimmediately?
Negative.

You can give a Finnair Plus Gold membership to one of your friends for a year (free of charge). Fill in the recipient's Finnair Plus membership number to the field below. You will receive a confirmation email.
Please note that you can give a Finnair Plus Gold card to a Finnair Plus Basic or Silver member.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 3:28 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Great thank's. I was under the impression there where no soft landing in the Finnair Plus program, more instant downgrade to the level of earned status miles, e.g if I'm not pass the Gold threshold I will not be Gold next year?
Jainzar yes, it a bit confusing the app says my year end month 12 but I'll keep my benefits month 13.
Worked like a charm. Expiration date was immediately pushed to 31st Aug 2023 (was 31st July 2022) and vouchers are available (though their expiration date is the date I gifted, 7th Aug 2023).

So, conclusion the soft landing benefits work (at least on AY like mentioned) and card can be gifted during this period.
GOTBound likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 8:59 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Formally, there isn't any softlanding. Per program rules, you would get the tier you earned by end of current membership year.

In practice, there is a softlanding and has been there for years. In practice, you have only been downgraded 1 tier, regardless of how few points you've accumulated. Recently we had the Finnair rep admitting to this, but added "for now", meaning this unofficial perk/quirk is not future proofed and could be gone soon. Or stay for years to come. No one can tell, the only thing we know is that other perks/quirks that have been around for 10+ years have been cut silently.
GOTBound likes this.

Last edited by intuition; Aug 10, 2022 at 9:08 am
Old Aug 10, 2022, 9:42 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by intuition
Formally, there isn't any softlanding. Per program rules, you would get the tier you earned by end of current membership year.

In practice, there is a softlanding and has been there for years. In practice, you have only been downgraded 1 tier, regardless of how few points you've accumulated. Recently we had the Finnair rep admitting to this, but added "for now", meaning this unofficial perk/quirk is not future proofed and could be gone soon. Or stay for years to come. No one can tell, the only thing we know is that other perks/quirks that have been around for 10+ years have been cut silently.
I skimmed through the EB as well as M&M rules and neither mention it anywhere, even though they offer it. I assume their support can also only give you an answer that is valid „for now“.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 12:50 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Jainzar
I skimmed through the EB as well as M&M rules and neither mention it anywhere, even though they offer it. I assume their support can also only give you an answer that is valid „for now“.
Yes, of course. A "for now" would always be added - otherwise the unofficial perk would have been made official.
What I was trying to say, the "for now" means nothing per se. But in the light of recent changes and Finnair style of cost reduction I wouldn't recommend people to base major decisions on unofficial perks/quirks to last forever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.