Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR - SFO and LAX - LHR Basic Economy

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2022, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

LHR - SFO and LAX - LHR Basic Economy

Looking to book a trip for next year for the family on these routes (June 23).

Will be flying economy and only need one checked bag, so was thinking of just getting basic economy tickets.

I am aware of the seat allocation differences, but that will be covered as we have a disability in the group.

Anything else I need to know about booking basic economy? Anything I should be aware of in these routes, it's been a while!!
Old Jul 6, 2022, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Children travelling? Seats get allocated a few days before for free and a child will be seated with a parent or better
Old Jul 6, 2022, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Children travelling? Seats get allocated a few days before for free and a child will be seated with a parent or better
Yep two kids. Not too concerned about seat allocation, as I say, disability in the group and seats will be allocated on booking.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 2:57 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Assuming things have calmed down by then, by all means call BA between 72 hours to departure and 26 hours to departure, just to check the seat allocations. Don't leave it any later than that, but given your circumstances BA would rather sort that out before OLCI opens.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Assuming things have calmed down by then, by all means call BA between 72 hours to departure and 26 hours to departure, just to check the seat allocations. Don't leave it any later than that, but given your circumstances BA would rather sort that out before OLCI opens.
Thanks.

Any other downsides to booking Basic Economy rather than Economy?
Old Jul 6, 2022, 3:30 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Superdon
Any other downsides to booking Basic Economy rather than Economy?
I'd say the buyers' regret we occasionally see here is that people buy Basic and then something happens that requires more bags to be checked in, but if you are 24 or more hours from purchase then you will almost certainly lose out financially. I guess it works in your case since only 1 bag will be checked in your group. The other thing to watch, very carefully, is whether your fare is totally unchangeable, when for a modest amount extra the fare rules allow for a fare recalculation. You will have to go through this quite carefully, just after the fare shows a calculated figure.
Anonba likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.