Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to medical flight changes policy

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2022, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Changes to medical flight changes policy

Pre-COVID- on the unfortunate occasions that I couldn’t travel due to medical reasons, I was helpfully reaccomodated on any future flight (I think from 355 days from the date of booking but I generally flew a couple of weeks later). Sadly i had used this policy twice- the joys of having a disability.

13 days ago I was admitted to hospital with COVID, I’d been due to travel on a domestic flight the following day and was told provided I rearranged within 14 days there would be no charge but if after 14 days there would be a difference in fair.

Thankfully this agent left it clear in the notes too, as I’m out of hospital and wanting to head home, but BA wanted to charge me for the difference in fair (180% additional of the original fare). The agent checked with a supervisor who confirmed the policy was to reprice still, but thankfully this was waivered due to the clear notes that I had been advised otherwise.

The agent claimed a reprice has always been the policy.

Grateful if others have any experience- have I just been lucky and not been charged when I should have been? Has the policy changed? Is the agent wrong?
Old Jul 6, 2022, 9:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Was this a booking made on 7 June 2022 or before?

My understanding is regardless of BWC, there is still a policy to allow free rebookings if resulting from covid, but I don't know the limitations.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by KARFA
Was this a booking made on 7 June 2022 or before?

My understanding is regardless of BWC, there is still a policy to allow free rebookings if resulting from covid, but I don't know the limitations.
it was a booking made on the 9 Jun 22 for a flight on 24 Jun 22, so wasn’t in scope for BWC, just standard medical policy.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 10:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I don’t think there was a formal policy or guideline. I was told as a valued gold member the least we can do is rebook you at no charge once. As I didn’t want to rely on that I didn’t book all my flights in advance like I used to as travel insurance wouldn’t cover it so the BWC policy was a godsend allowing me to change. Fortunately I didn’t I just ended up rebooking cancelled flights.

That said on one occasion my dad was in hospital before travel and BA waived amendment fees however when he was better the hotel wasn’t featured so the agent said we’ll book something if it’s cheaper we will refund if it’s more expensive pay the difference. This was a BAH though and was £4k to Barbados and my parents ended up going to Dublin for the weekend costing £500 so £3500 refunded.

hope you feel better soon.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
I don’t think there was a formal policy or guideline. I was told as a valued gold member the least we can do is rebook you at no charge once. As I didn’t want to rely on that I didn’t book all my flights in advance like I used to as travel insurance wouldn’t cover it so the BWC policy was a godsend allowing me to change. Fortunately I didn’t I just ended up rebooking cancelled flights.

That said on one occasion my dad was in hospital before travel and BA waived amendment fees however when he was better the hotel wasn’t featured so the agent said we’ll book something if it’s cheaper we will refund if it’s more expensive pay the difference. This was a BAH though and was £4k to Barbados and my parents ended up going to Dublin for the weekend costing £500 so £3500 refunded.

hope you feel better soon.
Thanks for sharing, appreciate it. I’m sure there will have been some policy, just not perhaps publicly viewable.

And thanks, I’m on the mend. Being immunosuppressed with COVID and food poisoning has not been much fun.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 11:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SAA Voyager
I recently had to make use of this, and did some digging and questioning to get clarity

If you have already started your journey (eg taken outbound flight), BA will rebook your return without recalculating the fare when you are fit to fly again. There is no time limit here. This is explained in their conditions of carriage.

If you have not yet started your journey, BA will waive any change penalties on your ticket, but will reprice the fare and tax onto your new dates of travel when you are fit to fly.
Anonba likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by LondonCapeTownAnyday
I recently had to make use of this, and did some digging and questioning to get clarity

If you have already started your journey (eg taken outbound flight), BA will rebook your return without recalculating the fare when you are fit to fly again. There is no time limit here. This is explained in their conditions of carriage.

If you have not yet started your journey, BA will waive any change penalties on your ticket, but will reprice the fare and tax onto your new dates of travel when you are fit to fly.
I think a slight change where mid travel its upto 30 days after recovery date you are rebooked whereas previously there was no stated limit.

But yes pre travel you always pay difference in price.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by navylad
13 days ago I was admitted to hospital with COVID...

... I’m out of hospital and wanting to head home
I can't be any help on the policy and what has changed (or not) but I'm glad to hear you're OK after your brush with Covid, navylad .
Old Jul 9, 2022, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by squawk
I can't be any help on the policy and what has changed (or not) but I'm glad to hear you're OK after your brush with Covid, navylad .
thanks appreciate it. Sadly an occupational hazard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.