Wiki Posts
Search

Whose eVoucher under BWC?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2022, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL
Whose eVoucher under BWC?

I booked a BA cash WTP return flight from LHR to South America for my daughter (D) and her friend (F), them each paying me for the cost of a WT flight (with me paying the difference for a WT->WTP upgrade as a gift, hence the weird arrangement), and it being charged to my credit card. For medical reasons, her friend had to return early, which involved for complicated reasons F (or rather her parents) booking a non-BA one-way back rather than rebooking the BA flight. D dutifully cancelled F's BA return (under BWC I believe), and D received an e-Voucher in response for close to Ł1,000 (so worth not forgetting).

The eVoucher is really an eVoucher ("Good news, your eVoucher is here") and is addressed to: "Dear Ms [F's surname]", and the details say (some details changed!) "125-1234123412" / GBP 999.99 / F'S-SURNAME / D'S-EMAIL

Who can use this eVoucher and how?
  • Me, because I booked the ticket on my credit card?
  • D, because it was emailed to her?
  • F, because it's got her surname?
When I, D, or F use it, do we have to use it to book the ticket for ourselves or can we book it for anyone?

If it helps D and I have the same surname, F's surname is different. Leave aside for a minute how we settle this between whoever can use it and F's parents - I want to find out how the voucher can be used first!
Old Jul 3, 2022, 11:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by abligh
IWhen I, D, or F use it, do we have to use it to book the ticket for ourselves or can we book it for anyone?
It's like an Amazon gift voucher, anyone with the right details can use it for themselves or for someone else *, so I hope you changed some of the 125 numbers. It can be used for commercial bookings, just enter the data just after flight selection. It's normally very slick and easy, easier than the credit card payment process, so I wish BA allowed people to buy these vouchers, something that Iberia does.

You can use it several times on smaller transactions, it gets reissued to a lower amount automatically as you go, with an email thereafter.

[* some limitations if in a Household Account].
abligh likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It's like an Amazon gift voucher, anyone with the right details can use it for themselves or for someone else *,
Perfect, thanks! Super easy.

so I hope you changed some of the 125 numbers.
Given the number I posted, either yes I did, or you should play the lottery! :-)

D and I are in a Household Account. F is not in the same household account - and I believe is not in any household account - but is on my F&F list. What are the limits that would apply here? Not entirely sure why the Household account would make a different if the booking was a cash booking, and I use the e-Voucher on a cash booking - I thought they affected Avios only? But I'm guessing you are right ( :-) ) so do enlighten me!
Old Jul 3, 2022, 11:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by abligh
D and I are in a Household Account. F is not in the same household account - and I believe is not in any household account - but is on my F&F list. What are the limits that would apply here? Not entirely sure why the Household account would make a different if the booking was a cash booking, and I use the e-Voucher on a cash booking - I thought they affected Avios only? But I'm guessing you are right ( :-) ) so do enlighten me!
How on earth you got through life without getting one of these before I shall never know, everyone I know seems to have a BA eVoucher, I'm almost surprised a secondary or even tertiary trade market hasn't sprung up. More fungible than BitCoins, that's for sure. But the limitation on HHA is just for others you would use it for. If you use it for yourself and those in the HHA there's no problem. It's not much of a limitation. If there is some random CWS you want to give the voucher to instead, then just PM the details and I will ensure the issue will not bother you further.
Erwin10 likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 12:30 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
There is indeed a secondary market - I bought a few e-vouchers on places such as Gumtree and FB marketplace for 20-30% discount on face value. They're also on Ebay but the discounts are smaller, reflecting the reach of the platform, but sometimes worthwhile. When I was doing this it was easy and quick to use them on a new booking and FTV that so you would get them back in your own name and not usable in the original form. Without BWC you'd have to hang onto them in the third party's name, and to be honest I don't fancy that so I stopped. If I had something immediate to use one on I'd probably think differently.

Never had a problem with honesty, a few of the sellers thanked me for trusting them because no one else had. I had a protocol for bank transfers where I'd send Ł1 and get positive affirmation the seller had received it before sending the full amount. It's nicely offset some of the fare increases due to fuel price increases.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

How on earth you got through life without getting one of these before I shall never know, everyone I know seems to have a BA eVoucher, I'm almost surprised a secondary or even tertiary trade market hasn't sprung up. More fungible than BitCoins, that's for sure. But the limitation on HHA is just for others you would use it for. If you use it for yourself and those in the HHA there's no problem. It's not much of a limitation. If there is some random CWS you want to give the voucher to instead, then just PM the details and I will ensure the issue will not bother you further.
Ha! I've had plenty of them before. But all the previous ones have been for tickets paid for by me, in my own name, with my own email address, and used to by replacement tickets for me. Much simpler!
Old Jul 8, 2022, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

It's like an Amazon gift voucher, anyone with the right details can use it for themselves or for someone else *, so I hope you changed some of the 125 numbers. It can be used for commercial bookings, just enter the data just after flight selection. It's normally very slick and easy, easier than the credit card payment process, so I wish BA allowed people to buy these vouchers, something that Iberia does.

You can use it several times on smaller transactions, it gets reissued to a lower amount automatically as you go, with an email thereafter.

So, when D tries to book using the e-Voucher concerned, she gets the error message (from the app) “Please review these details, the people named on the eVouchers must travel on any booking made less than 4 days before departure”. D and a different person (F2) are on the booking (not F). This is a new one on me. Both D and F2 are on the F&F list and get presented as options for booking the ticket prior to the error message. Any ideas?
Old Jul 8, 2022, 12:50 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
You should be adding the evoucher well before you get to the point of picking your short names relations when making a new booking.

Does it work on the website?
Old Jul 8, 2022, 12:50 pm

As per evoucher faqs on ba.com.....

Does the booking have to be made in your name?

No, eVoucher holders don’t need to travel on a booking made using their eVoucher. Although for security reasons, bookings made within four days of departure must include all eVoucher holders.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
You should be adding the evoucher well before you get to the point of picking your short names relations when making a new booking.

Does it work on the website?
According to D, no. Same result. I presume it is some anti-fraud thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.