Wiki Posts
Search

Qatar avios upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2022, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club
Qatar avios upgrade

A new job in Oz means that my family and I will be travelling 1 way to Brisbane from London (probably Heathrow) in September. No flights booked yet but the new company will book an economy flexible ticket.

We're keen to go Qatar as they are fantastic from previous experience.

Looking at upgrade options using avios and, while there is some info on their website it seems too good to be true.

The quoted avios fee for upgrading is 59000 avios from a fully flex eco ticket to a biz class ticket. Seems a no-brainer, if true.

Does anyone have experience of this sort of upgrade and, is the quoted figure accurate... is the a cash element to pay too? I'm cynical from being a long time BA customer!!!
Old Jul 3, 2022, 11:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Your issue will be the Avios upgrade availability.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Schwann
Your issue will be the Avios upgrade availability.
Seems so, is there an efficient way of seeing availability over a number of dates?

Looks like it's just trial and error trying day after day after day.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyingjonny
A new job in Oz means that my family and I will be travelling 1 way to Brisbane from London (probably Heathrow) in September. No flights booked yet but the new company will book an economy flexible ticket.

We're keen to go Qatar as they are fantastic from previous experience.

Looking at upgrade options using avios and, while there is some info on their website it seems too good to be true.

The quoted avios fee for upgrading is 59000 avios from a fully flex eco ticket to a biz class ticket. Seems a no-brainer, if true.

Does anyone have experience of this sort of upgrade and, is the quoted figure accurate... is the a cash element to pay too? I'm cynical from being a long time BA customer!!!
Will the new company book you non stop DOH to BNE? Or via SYD. Are you wanting to upgrade all of the family?
Will it be on Qatar QR? The economy flexible ticket may be at a good discount to retail price, if the company has a corporate travel deal.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 6:01 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Look for award availability in biz; if award seats are available then you can also UG.
Award availability in J to/from Australia has been sparse (pretty much non-existent) lately.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Will the new company book you non stop DOH to BNE? Or via SYD. Are you wanting to upgrade all of the family?
Will it be on Qatar QR? The economy flexible ticket may be at a good discount to retail price, if the company has a corporate travel deal.
They say the most direct route... so LHR-DOH-BNE likely but we can book and claim back if we prefer something else. They would book through a corporate code, they have extensive travel, globally, for the business so likely a good deal.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyingjonny
They say the most direct route... so LHR-DOH-BNE likely but we can book and claim back if we prefer something else. They would book through a corporate code, they have extensive travel, globally, for the business so likely a good deal.
Getting multiple award/upgrade seats will be a very hard ask.
Which could also be LHR-DXB-BNE, LHR-(SIN)-SYD-BNE, LHR-PER-BNE and other options
Distance does not vary that much-->A map from Great Circle Mapper
Picking a UK origin other than LHR may help (LGW, STN, MAN etc). And look for BNE SYD MEL ADL, even PER

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jul 3, 2022 at 8:28 pm
Old Jul 4, 2022, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Getting multiple award/upgrade seats will be a very hard ask.
Which could also be LHR-DXB-BNE, LHR-(SIN)-SYD-BNE, LHR-PER-BNE and other options
Distance does not vary that much-->A map from Great Circle Mapper
Picking a UK origin other than LHR may help (LGW, STN, MAN etc). And look for BNE SYD MEL ADL, even PER
Thanks for the advice, I'll look at alternate airports.

Do you know of a more time efficient way of checking availability other than trawling through each date for each destination?

I use rewardflightfinder for ba companion tickets, is there anything similar for Qatar upgrades?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.