Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Long Story involving cancelled AA Avios redemption

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2022, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.

Are you sitting comfortably I want to tell you a story, and hopefully a bit of sage advice.

My son and I was enjoying a nice holiday in Antigua which was a 2-4-1 LHR -JFK with a redemption on AA JFK-ANU-JFK and another 2 days in NYC before the return. 4 hours before the ANU-JFK and after we had booked out of the hotel AA cancelled the flight. The only rebooking option was for 2 days later arriving after the JFK-LHR flight, and with no hotel and a car to return. I tried calling the Gold line to see what options were available to us. After 30mins on hold and around £75 of roaming charges I hung up. (no I don't have Skype).The only option I had was to book us direct ANU-LGW reward flight. I have cancelled online the return JFK-LHR and that's going through the process. Where do we stand with the AA redemption are we entitled to a refund of and taxes for the unused flight. And what if any redress will I have if any with BA re my out of pocket expenses and the use of redemption due to being unable to contact BA rebook us on the ANU-LGW flight loss of 2 days Holiday and one night JFK hotel costs.

If you have made it this far well done!

Thanks in advance for any input.
John.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 9:28 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Well you're not in a good place here, since ANU to JFK on AA is definitely not covered by EC261. BA may have rebooked you had you got through (so you really do need to put Skype on your phone, it's a fairly basic thing to do). Since EC261 doesn't apply, your best bet is to complain to AA - they may give you a $50 voucher for future AA travel. BAEC should refund the Avios and taxes for the AA cancelled service. And to reclaim any other losses via insurance.
AirbusA350, TTmex and thejohn like this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 9:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by thejohn
Are you sitting comfortably I want to tell you a story, and hopefully a bit of sage advice.

After 30mins on hold and around £75 of roaming charges I hung up. (no I don't have Skype).
John.
Why? It's free and could have been downloaded in seconds and would have not charged to call the 1-800 numbers.

It looks like you got a result finding reward availability on ANU to LGW. Many thread on here about itineraries being on different tickets and the risks we take by doing them.

At least your flight from JFK to LHR would have been covered by BWC so you will get your money back for this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 10:14 am

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
How did you get a 2 4 1 redemption on AA? It is only available on BA metal
Old Jun 30, 2022, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jeremyBA
He didn't: He got a 2-4-1 redemption on BA for LHR-JFK-LHR, and then a separate redemption on AA for JFK-ANU-JFK.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
Originally Posted by jeremyBA
No it was standard redemption jeremyBA.
John
Old Jun 30, 2022, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Skype will be on my phone from now on..... I used to get roaming with 3 until they cancelled all but europe.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Well you're not in a good place here, since ANU to JFK on AA is definitely not covered by EC261. BA may have rebooked you had you got through (so you really do need to put Skype on your phone, it's a fairly basic thing to do). Since EC261 doesn't apply, your best bet is to complain to AA - they may give you a $50 voucher for future AA travel. BAEC should refund the Avios and taxes for the AA cancelled service. And to reclaim any other losses via insurance.
That was my reading of the situation CWS but the font of knowledge here is far deeper than mine. I used to get roaming with 3 but that was cancelled as a result of CO-VID and Brexit I guess. So I never needed Skype until now.
John
Old Jun 30, 2022, 1:26 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by thejohn
That was my reading of the situation CWS but the font of knowledge here is far deeper than mine. I used to get roaming with 3 but that was cancelled as a result of CO-VID and Brexit I guess. So I never needed Skype until now.
John
Ah, that's the wrong way to see it, in my opinion. You probably can live your life without Skype (and the alternatives) quite happily, it is a cumbersome way to stay in touch. It's for when that world falls apart that you need Skype (etc) so it's the sort of thing you have ready for the situations you can't predict.
jerry a. laska and thejohn like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.