LHR to SFO - May 2022 target price

Old Jun 15, 2021, 5:23 am
Original Poster

LHR to SFO - May 2022 target price

Hi

A quick bit of advice appreciated. Looking to book one adult on PE LHR to SFO from 21st of May (Saturday - off-peak) to 4th of June (Saturday - on-peak), upgrading to Business using Avios. As just released, it's expensive, £1350 + before the upgrade. Thinking that it will settle, hopefully to £800 before the upgrade. It's the memorial weekend in the States when we are there. Does that price target seems sensible or foolhardy?

Many thanks,

Last edited by Rob Clark; Jun 15, 2021 at 6:38 am
Old Jun 15, 2021, 5:27 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Sounds good to me — ambitious, but realistic — but a lot will depend on the unknown of whether, when travel reopens (and I'm assuming it's before that date), will be a question of opening the floodgates as people rush to see relatives or complete delayed holidays, or whether demand for business travel will keep fares low.

You also have to factor in Avios availability unless you have a way to trigger a release.
Rob Clark likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I reckon at the right time you'll get it for £400 in Y and WTP for £750

Don't bother with an Avios upgrade. Just keep watching and give it a few months.
Rob Clark likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 5:42 am

Programs: Chevalier de la Gallentrie - Knight of the Platinum Hair Brush, BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Rob Clark
Hi

A quick bit of advice appreciated. Looking to book one adult on PE LHR to SFO from 21st of May (Saturday - off-peak) to 4th of June (Saturday - on-peak), upgrading to WT using Avios. As just released, it's expensive, £1350 + before the upgrade. Thinking that it will settle, hopefully to £800 before the upgrade. It's the memorial weekend in the States when we are there. Does that price target seems sensible or foolhardy?

Many thanks,
Alternatively, you could look at doing an ex-eu from Dublin, or similar, directly into CW (or with AA via ORD or something like that) - and get more TPs and avios in the process. If you use the miles you were going to use for your upgrade anyway, then you could either book a cheap redemption RFS from LHR to DUB and back, or reduce the cost of your flight price if booking with BA. Always worth working out the costs - and you wouldn't be limited to when there was redemption availability for the SFO flights.
Rob Clark likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 5:48 am

Programs: Chevalier de la Gallentrie - Knight of the Platinum Hair Brush, BA Gold, Hilton Gold

Ok, you'd likely have hotel costs to factor in, and this might well be outwith your planned budget for the trip - but you could book this as a BAH with BA, and they'd likely be able to match the price (or improve). 360TPs without any fancy routing.
Rob Clark likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Thanks, everybody, really appreciate the advice. Unfortunately, as I'm travelling with others (separate booking) I can't travel via Dublin but it's a great idea for the future. I've set up price alerts for both PE and Business, so fingers crossed it comes into a sensible price point over the next few months and I don't get stung by the demand when travel reopens.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
You are way too far out for paying a low fare. BA always charge a premium from pax feeling the need to book this far out. Wait until weeks/1-2 months before dep. for much lower fare. These are general observations.
Rob Clark and imkevinmc like this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Haha, yep, this place escalates quickly from a good Y price to - exEU in Club !

TOP TIP do not use an agency or online website to save a few quid over this time, stick to BA.com direct. With the benefit of Book With Confidence, all the time this is running you can lock in a price and then refund to voucher and re book if it drops, so lower risk if you want to buy soon. I'd however hold out quite a while until the right sale price sits well. I wouldn't genuinely try a Y to WTP using Avios, availability can be sketchy. Just get a well priced WTP ticket
Rob Clark and Cymro like this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by Rob Clark
Thanks, everybody, really appreciate the advice. Unfortunately, as I'm travelling with others (separate booking) I can't travel via Dublin but it's a great idea for the future. I've set up price alerts for both PE and Business, so fingers crossed it comes into a sensible price point over the next few months and I don't get stung by the demand when travel reopens.
Would it be an option for you to book the flights you want with BAH (low deposit - just needs you to add a car or a hotel - even for 1 night) and if the price changes down the way, you can use BWC to get it changed to the new price/class?
Old Jun 15, 2021, 8:06 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by efincomputer
Would it be an option for you to book the flights you want with BAH (low deposit - just needs you to add a car or a hotel - even for 1 night) and if the price changes down the way, you can use BWC to get it changed to the new price/class?
As it's a booking for next May, it's outside the BWC deadline (unless it's been extended...? I wish!)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.