Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

ATL<->LAX First vs Comfort+ 20 month old

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2021, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Gold, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist

Planning a trip ATL<->LAX on either 753 or 321 with my wife and 20 month old. Thoughts on aircraft difference and whether to do 2 FC seats or 3 C+ seats? We've done a number of flights with 2 FC seats but not nothing longer than 2 hours. 4.5 is a bit daunting and interested in some perspectives. Will be in August so think meal service will be back in FC
Old Jun 13, 2021, 4:07 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
There’s no functional difference between the two as far as your main question.

I would personally select 3 comfort plus over 2 F because you can bring your car seat and the kiddo can sleep during the flight. Given that service in F stinks right now, it’s not worth much assuming you have the whole row.
cmd320, ExArkie, curl and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
By August this route should have some form of meal service return. We still don't know what exactly that's going to be yet as Delta has been awkwardly short on details which makes me think it isn't going to be a full service like it would have been two years ago. I wouldn't use this as a reason to book F over C+, especially in this situation.

I'd agree that with the lap infant, I'd probably go for a whole row of C+ just so that you don't have to sit with the child in your lap the whole time.

If you end up booking F I'd choose the 753 over the 321, if you go with C+ there's not really any noteworthy difference. The 321 C+ seats are slightly wider than the 753, but the plane is also noisier if that makes a difference to you.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I would offer that there are two substantive reasons to favor the 753 in C+ over the 321 — (1) the 753 generally boards thru the 2L door, and (2) the lav by that door is not reserved for F pax (since they have access to the one at the front of the jet)
cmd320 and Gerbs like this.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 7:05 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by atldiamond
Planning a trip ATL<->LAX on either 753 or 321 with my wife and 20 month old. Thoughts on aircraft difference and whether to do 2 FC seats or 3 C+ seats? We've done a number of flights with 2 FC seats but not nothing longer than 2 hours. 4.5 is a bit daunting and interested in some perspectives. Will be in August so think meal service will be back in FC
I would chose the 3 C+ seats any day over 2 F seats with my two year old due to the lack of center armrest of more space for her to move around and not sit on my lap. I also don't get that excited over the prospects of whatever FC meal service turns out to be this summer.
emma dog likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 8:00 am

Programs: DL DM
I'd also go for the row of three at that age. We've found even in the forward cabin right around 12 months seems to be the cut-off for comfort with a lap infant. You can also consider the
CARES CARES
harness in lieu of a car seat. We really liked it for the 12-24 month age range.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 10:24 am

Programs: AA Plt Pro, UA Silver, DL, QF; HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by NHFL9
I'd also go for the row of three at that age. We've found even in the forward cabin right around 12 months seems to be the cut-off for comfort with a lap infant. You can also consider the CARES harness in lieu of a car seat. We really liked it for the 12-24 month age range.
I agree on both counts. The CARES harness is fantastic if your child doesn't handle the car seat well and would prefer the normal seat...and having a seat (and the contained space) is ideal for any trip more than a few hours. We did a few trips to Australia while each of my kids were near that age, and I wouldn't trade the extra seat for all the first class meals in the world given that choice.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Gold, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks all for these great replies! Very helpful. I think our car seat is too wide for the C+ seats. It's a Nuna Rava. Maybe we'll try the CARES harness!

Service definitely has been hit or miss in FC these days but on my longer legs it has been quite good and figured having more access to snacks/beverages is always a plus. Also not sure how well he'll sit in the seat even with the CARES harness. Just started walking so he doesn't like sitting too much these days.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL DM
I wouldn't recommend bringing the car seat in the cabin if you can avoid it. We did it a handful of times and regretted it each time. It is clunky to bring through the airport and get down the aisle on the plane. Especially when managing a baby/ toddler. We did manage to get it stuck in a seat on an Air Malta A320 which was a funny incident looking back. They had to have technical services come on board and take the seat apart to get the buckle to release!
Old Jun 14, 2021, 2:56 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by atldiamond
Thanks all for these great replies! Very helpful. I think our car seat is too wide for the C+ seats. It's a Nuna Rava. Maybe we'll try the CARES harness!

Service definitely has been hit or miss in FC these days but on my longer legs it has been quite good and figured having more access to snacks/beverages is always a plus. Also not sure how well he'll sit in the seat even with the CARES harness. Just started walking so he doesn't like sitting too much these days.
We flew a ton when our kids were that age.

Prior to our first trans-Atlantic trip, we purchased the cheapest/lightest car seat we could find. We also purchased a car-seat bag. We got our little one accustomed to the new seat a few weeks prior, too. The light car seat was easy to install forward- and rear-facing. The bag was nice for putting the seat on your back when walking through the airport. Once our little one outgrew it, we donated it.

I 100% recommend getting a 3-seat row and putting the little one in the middle or at the window. They'll be safe and comfortable, and your lap will be free. Kids on your lap should be for a 1-hour flight, tops.

We firmly subscribe to the school of thought that kids should board last. Every time we flew, one parent would board at the appropriate time and get the empty car seat secured. The other parent would keep the kid in the airport, do one last bathroom/snack trip, and one last run up and down the terminal. The last place you want to be with a kid is buckled into an airplane seat while 100 other passengers wait to board. Being last-to-board is easy. Walk down the jetway, drop the kid in the seat, buckle-up and enjoy the flight.
wrp96 and dtwtransport like this.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 5:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC in a 3-3 configuration, the car seat should be installed at the window position. Putting it in the middle could make it difficult for the window passenger to evacuate the aircraft quickly in an emergency.

Also, if you do decide to take the kid as a lapchild, remember that not all rows have extra oxygen masks.

In any event, you're not eligible for exit row seats when you travel with a small child.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC in a 3-3 configuration, the car seat should be installed at the window position. Putting it in the middle could make it difficult for the window passenger to evacuate the aircraft quickly in an emergency.

Also, if you do decide to take the kid as a lapchild, remember that not all rows have extra oxygen masks.

In any event, you're not eligible for exit row seats when you travel with a small child.
Correct that in most applications the car seat has to be in the window for takeoff/landing. Once in the air I believe you can put it wherever you want.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.