Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Compensation for missed connection and next flight next day

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2021, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, WN, JB, Hilton Honors, Starwood

Hi,

My original flight is delayed due to a crew issue. This will cause me a missed connection, which was the last flight of the day.

SWA is providing me an overnight stay and getting me on a flight tomorrow.

Has anyone experienced this, and if so did you receive any other compensation besides a hotel?

thank you
Old Jun 13, 2021, 8:35 pm

Seems fair to me. You could ask for a couple of meal vouchers. Might get some RR points if you complain to customer relations but I wouldn't expect any more than that. WN has no obligation to get you anywhere at a particular time or on a particular day.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 11:17 pm

Programs: WN CP, HHonors, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Premier,LaQuinta Elite, Amtrak
WN may not have a legal obligation, but in past we have received LUV vouchers for various amounts ($100-200) when flights were excessively late due to WN type issues (maintenance, crew not rested, etc.) This is WN being proactive on customer service. When its a weather delay somewhere downline, however, in our experience there is no compensation.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, WN, JB, Hilton Honors, Starwood
SWA was awesome. We did get a voucher for a future flight. I did not even have to ask. They are very proactive.

Thank you for your input.
birdiedouble and steved5480 like this.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 8:26 am

I was going to post something asking for any recent compensation for delays.

Wednesday I had a flight delayed 2 1/2 hours and a plane change because someone ran into the cargo door with the luggage ramp. At first they sid it would be a "few minutes" the they said "we need to do some paper work" them they said we had to change planes.
I've never had that kind of paperwork take less than 45 minutes. I was wondering if I could expect a voucher and if so how much.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I was going to post something asking for any recent compensation for delays.

Wednesday I had a flight delayed 2 1/2 hours and a plane change because someone ran into the cargo door with the luggage ramp. At first they sid it would be a "few minutes" the they said "we need to do some paper work" them they said we had to change planes.
I've never had that kind of paperwork take less than 45 minutes. I was wondering if I could expect a voucher and if so how much.
Normally you'd likely get a free drink. Now, probably nothing. Maybe an extra snack bag.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 10:35 am

Programs: Southwest A List Preferred, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, American Airlines Gold
Two years ago, I had a flight from OKC to Houston that had to circle for a bit due to weather. We ended up landing in Dallas to refuel, and by the time we had done that, we could fly straight to Houston and land. A day later, I got an email apologizing for the inconvenience with an attached $25 LUV voucher. I was shocked. Southwest isn't as stingy as some people claim, and I certainly don't think that I was owed anything. It was completely weather.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 12:27 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
It seems to me that you never get vouchers when "deserved" (routinely 3-4 hours late during the schedule meltdown year of 2013) but pop up when you least expect them.

About 8 Junes ago, THREE last-of-the-day flights into ISP (from 3 FL cities) where turned around moments from landing and diverted to BWI due to inoperative runway lights at ISP. The plan was to keep everyone in the few A gate below the main food concourse (airport was empty at 11pm) for the night and continue the flights at daybreak. As I high tailed it out of there for a company paid hotel, I heard announcements of "baggage will not be offloaded", "refunds will not be given if you make your way home another way" & "we hope to find water and blankets for you".

Anywhoodles, a voucher for $85 and an apology for the less than stellar hospitality at BWI showed about a week later. I can only imagine the night the MCO planeload had...
Old Jun 14, 2021, 7:01 pm

On my trip this past week, they gave us two hours notice when they switched our flight 45 minutes earlier because of an anticipated misconnect. The anticipated delay disappeared, but they could not get us back our good boarding positions and we'd already rushed away from the lounge because we did not understand what was going on. We took the earlier flight and got there just fine, so I didn't intend to do anything except complain here.

But then, on the return, we received at least a dozen different flight change notices via email between the two legs home - several were for the first leg, which was first delayed two hours and then reverted, and then again! We showed up on time and the gate agents expressed surprise - they could only see the delays that were posting for the second leg. I'm not totally surprised, the app wasn't notifying either of us - if I hadn't been checking that email, I'd have been blissfully unaware of whatever was stuttering in their backend. Fwiw, that second leg delay thankfully shank to 'only' a couple hours - we got home after 2a but we did indeed make it home.

All things considered, I don't exactly think I'm due compensation - but of the four delays/issues we've experienced this year, ALL of them were Southwest's issues, and all were handled poorly. I haven't sat down to wordsmith a way describe all this in a manner that will provide them helpful feedback, but I will soon.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
It seems to me that you never get vouchers when "deserved" (routinely 3-4 hours late during the schedule meltdown year of 2013) but pop up when you least expect them.

About 8 Junes ago, THREE last-of-the-day flights into ISP (from 3 FL cities) where turned around moments from landing and diverted to BWI due to inoperative runway lights at ISP. The plan was to keep everyone in the few A gate below the main food concourse (airport was empty at 11pm) for the night and continue the flights at daybreak. As I high tailed it out of there for a company paid hotel, I heard announcements of "baggage will not be offloaded", "refunds will not be given if you make your way home another way" & "we hope to find water and blankets for you".

Anywhoodles, a voucher for $85 and an apology for the less than stellar hospitality at BWI showed about a week later. I can only imagine the night the MCO planeload had...
Holy crap. I'm completely shocked that was how they attempted to handle that situation. I'd have also hightailed it to a (selfpay) hotel room as soon as they explained that plan to me. "We hope to find water and blankets for you" my arse! I'm not even sure what I'd have done if I'd needed to rent a car to head the heck home and they tried to deny me a refund.

Last edited by synergistic; Jun 14, 2021 at 9:56 pm
Old Jun 14, 2021, 8:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jjbiv
WN has no obligation to get you anywhere at a particular time or on a particular day.
Just to confirm, you are joking, correct?
m907 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 9:47 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by jjbiv
WN has no obligation to get you anywhere at a particular time or on a particular day.
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaMD88
Just to confirm, you are joking, correct?
WN CoC:

Delays or Involuntary Cancellations. If a Passenger’s scheduled transportation is canceled, terminated, or delayed before the Passenger has reached his/her final destination as a result of a flight cancellation, Carrier-caused missed connection, flight delay, or omission of a scheduled stop, Carrier will either transport the Passenger at no additional charge on another of Carrier’s flights, refund the fare for the unused transportation in accordance with the form of payment utilized for the Ticket, or provide a credit for such amount toward the purchase of future travel.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 9:51 pm
Suspended

Correct, but that's WN explaining what will happen IF they can't get you to your destination at a particular time/day, and the reasons that may not happen.

If airlines had no obligation to get anyone anywhere at a particular time or date they'd just sell everyone open tickets, give a schedule of flights, and everyone just shows up at the airport on the day they feel like flying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.